• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Receiving indian character crashes iPhones

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
Remember the "effective. Power" glitch that affected iOS back in 2015? Well, here's another one that works in a similar way!
Apparently, sending the Telugu (Indian language) character shown below as a message will crash most of the popular social and messaging apps including iMessage, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp Messenger, Outlook, Twitter and Gmail. It seems like Telegram and Skype are immune.
There are some rumors stating that it can crash the operating system even by just viewing the character in an application, I'm not sure about those, but users who are viewing this thread on an iPhone are safe. This below it's just an image. :P

GCDvPHK.png

Now... if you have silly friends and they decide to send this to you, don't force restart the phone and wait for the springboard to restart as it could potentially put it in a bootloop state where the only way to fix it is a DFU reset, with you most likely losing all of your data if you had no backups.
After the springboard restarted (regarding iMessage) you can try to gain back access to your messages by telling a friend to send you a message, theoretically making the iMessage app accessible again so you can delete the thread with the infamous character. Not sure if this will work but it's worth a try if you have been affected by this glitch.
Furthermore, as stated in this article, Apple has already issued a fix in the upcoming iOS release. Still though, I think that's a pretty serious flaw and it's not the first time that it happens.

If you're curious, here's a video of this glitch in action.

Vigilance

Re-diddly-dacted
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 12, 2019
Man o man was this annoying. I remember the old one being annoying and this new one was the same. The only good thing is I feel users were more prepared to handle this stuff this time around.

Back