• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] New game idea: A more RPG version of Pokemon, combined with becoming a gym leader

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 3, 2019
I have been playing Pok?mon games and hacks for some time now. However, it generally feels as if the story is always the same: you?re some kid leaving home who then goes on to become the champion whilst fighting arbitrary evil along the way.

Whilst this type of story appears to be a winner (because they seem to remake it every time), I think that it needs a refresher. That being said, I generally want to keep the story along similar lines: it?s about growing as a person and the final goal is to become champion.

What if you didn?t become champion through being a run of the mill Pok?mon trainer? What if, instead, you want the more corporate route: through becoming a gym leader, becoming the best gym leader, becoming a member of the elite 4, then finally becoming the champion? Instead of coming out of nowhere and becoming champion, what if you actually built yourself up through the ranks?

Basically, my idea is to have a game where you inherit your gym (kind of like Flannery in Emerald). This obviously wouldn?t be right away, but would be after you prove yourself. Then, much like the gyms in the cannon games, you level up your Pok?mon and get stronger as you go. For example, like in Emerald, the gym leaders start with Pok?mon at level 10ish and build up till they have relatively strong teams in the 40s.

The point of the game will then be to become the best gym leader; this can be done through battling other gym leaders (thereby proving your dominance over each gym). This will at least retain the badge part of the cannon stories. As you travel around, defeating ?wild? trainers, some of them will ask to join your gym. As you progress through the game, the trainers with you will also get stronger, and you can find new, stronger, trainers as you go along (much like the monster system in dragon quest VIII).

There is an issue with regards to convincing trainers to use a single type. Firstly, I think that a multitype gym would actually be a good addition to the game. Secondly, a multitype gym isn?t actually unheard of: remember Blue?s gym in Pok?mon Crystal.

That being said, gym leaders do show a proficiency for specific types. As a result, it would seem like a good idea to include some kind of character levelling system in addition to the Pok?mon levelling system. As you progress, you become more proficient with particular types (not necessarily just one type, though). This can be achieved by, say, levelling up Pok?mon of that type (each level grants the player some experience in that area). As the player levels, up with that type, if they sport teams with only that type, they can get some bonus such as 10% extra health across their team etc.

This character levelling can also be extended to more general things like breeding (with master breeders able to breed 6 IV Pok?mon or even legendaries, for instance).

In sum: the aim of the game is to develop yourself, your Pok?mon and your gym, with the goal of becoming the champion (there can even be a tournament of champions from each region at the end).

I will admit: I have absolutely no experience with RPG maker, and little experience with making hacks. So my questions are:
1. Does this sound like a cool idea?
2. Does this sound viable?
3. Is anyone willing to help (I am willing to learn so some patience may be required)?

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Does this sound like a cool idea?
Yeah.That very cool Idea.It's like Becoming Champion with more sense way.But I recommend, give some story, And it will be (super) great

Does this sound viable?
Well, I think yes.But you need more people for more sound viable.

Is anyone willing to help (I am willing to learn so some patience may be required)?
I hope I can.But now I busy.If I not busy, I'll help you in Sprite Trainer Part

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
This sounds amazing. I myself have already thought about something like that, so of course I am liking your idea.
But what would happen if you are getting promoted from being a gym leader to an elite four member? Who will take your gym leader spot in the gym? A challenger who has beaten you?
I think it would be challenging if you can get promoted and relegated so e.g. you are an elite four member and you are losing too often to challengers (it won't happen though, only if the AI is very well done).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2023
I am actually a large fan of this. It's something I haven't seen before, and I'm pretty sure most people haven't thought of it either. Although, maybe instead of getting badges, you move up in Gym Places? So you start out at the first gym battling challengers, and when you beat the second gym, you become the second gym and knock the second leader down to the first gym? Just a thought.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2018
1. Does this sound like a cool idea?
Indeed it does. Unique and I think it is a cool concept.
2. Does this sound viable?
Some parts may be harder than others but with time and effort anything is viable.
3. Is anyone willing to help (I am willing to learn so some patience may be required)?
I will help under the following conditions. I would like to use this as well to an extent and will share with you (the original poster) any progress I make within this thread or a free public resource thread for everyone who wishes to learn to make such systems work.

Further more any systems created by myself I would appreciate appropriate credit documentation within your project (i.e. a credits read me file will suffice)

This being said some of the things you have stated may be difficult actually only seem that way. The becoming a gym leader I am not sure how this will be tackled yet but the recruitment of trainers can be done easily.

I am thinking the best way is to have gym 8 be the inherited gym. This requires that 7 badges be earned and then your father/mother/grandparent who is leaving the gym to you is leader 8. After e4 disable gym 8 leader battle.

After that is where things get tougher as most of this concepts body can be handled through switches and variables being on and off.

For the ranking system you would need a script of some sort to award points based on wins or losses. Might be able to find something usefull in battle frontier/tower scripts.

Last edited:
Back