• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
So I've never played a Pokemon romhack before and decided to try Eternal X's insanity mode last week before playing Sun and Moon, since it's been a while since I've touched a pokemon game. I never got past the third gym in Vanilla X because it was so dull, but I'm about halfway through Eternal X and I don't think I've enjoyed a pokemon game playthrough this much in a very long time. There are a couple bull**** fights (don't know if I can forgive you for that rival double battle on route 7, though you did warn me that insanity was not fair) but for the most part it's been very fun and a refreshing, if painful at times, challenge.

It's actually made me not want to play Sun and Moon until something similar is available, since the difficulty of vanilla Pokemon games has appealed less and less to me as the years have gone by. Just wondering, but might you have any plans on working on a similar romhack for S/M once the tools become available?

Whether you plan to or not, mostly just wanted to say thanks for this hack, it's pretty sweet.

Good to hear you're enjoying the hack so far! There's quite a bit more bullshit to come, though I've been told some parts of it should have been harder.

I'm considering making a hack of S/M; right now I'm not sure if I want to make one myself or wait for Drayano's (I'd highly recommend his Blaze Black 2 and Volt White 2 hacks, especially on challenge mode). I'm also about halfway through a Platinum hack which I'd like to finish ASAP, so it might be a while before I look into S/M. It is very tempting though; Trainers with EVs and totem battles would be a lot of fun to mess around with.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope you enjoy the rest of the hack!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 19, 2017
Hey guys...maybe a stupid question... But i didnt found an answer yet....can i install pokemon wilting y on my 3ds or do i need an Emulator on my PC? If it works on 3ds....how? Of it only works on Emulator ...which Emulator an how to do Download? Please help me...Is played Y on my 3ds...but its way to easy😞 ...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey guys...maybe a stupid question... But i didnt found an answer yet....can i install pokemon wilting y on my 3ds or do i need an Emulator on my PC? If it works on 3ds....how? Of it only works on Emulator ...which Emulator an how to do Download? Please help me...Is played Y on my 3ds...but its way to easy?????? ...

There's a post a bit further up the page that addresses installing Wilting Y on a 3DS; how you do it depends on when you last updated your console. Unfortunately X and Y don't work properly on the 3DS emulator (Citra) yet, and will freeze before you even get your starter.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for your reply......by the Time i did inform myselfe a bit more about the theme...and I whatched some Videos.. Its Not that easy to install the hack i found out 🙈...but i even want to try it!! I read that i have to downgrade my system because my 3ds versions is 11.2 ...is downgrading the only way? Or is there another?
If not..could u give me some tips about downgrading?? I would ve thankful for every advice! ✌🏻️

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Thanks for your reply......by the Time i did inform myselfe a bit more about the theme...and I whatched some Videos.. Its Not that easy to install the hack i found out 🙈...but i even want to try it!! I read that i have to downgrade my system because my 3ds versions is 11.2 ...is downgrading the only way? Or is there another?
If not..could u give me some tips about downgrading?? I would ve thankful for every advice! ✌🏻️

Yeah, downgrading is the only way right now. If you wait a while you'll probably be able to get the homebrew channel on 11.2 (don't update your 3DS any further), which will allow you to play hacks.

Downgrading from 11.2 can be done via a hacked system transfer, but that requires another 3DS that's already hacked. Alternatively, you can solder some wires between a chip in your 3DS and an SD card, which will allow you to modify it using a PC. I wouldn't recommend the latter unless you have electronics experience and are good with a soldering iron, though.

Unfortunately your best option is probably just to wait for homebrew to be available on 11.2; I'd suggest keeping an eye on Smealum's twitter feed to watch for releases.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, downgrading is the only way right now. If you wait a while you'll probably be able to get the homebrew channel on 11.2 (don't update your 3DS any further), which will allow you to play hacks.

Downgrading from 11.2 can be done via a hacked system transfer, but that requires another 3DS that's already hacked. Alternatively, you can solder some wires between a chip in your 3DS and an SD card, which will allow you to modify it using a PC. I wouldn't recommend the latter unless you have electronics experience and are good with a soldering iron, though.

Unfortunately your best option is probably just to wait for homebrew to be available on 11.2; I'd suggest keeping an eye on Smealum's twitter feed to watch for releases.

Ok!! Very Nice bro, that u took the Time and responsed although my questions hasnt been asked the First Time i think :) ... Also sorry for my Bad Language Skills...my Last english lesson Was some years ago :)

...so than i will follow smealum an wait for the new homebrew channel... Of this new versions Is out...May i could ask u again if i have some Problems with installing?

And the Last thing...what do u Think...how Long does it take untill the new version comes??

Best regards ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Ok!! Very Nice bro, that u took the Time and responsed although my questions hasnt been asked the First Time i think :) ... Also sorry for my Bad Language Skills...my Last english lesson Was some years ago :)

...so than i will follow smealum an wait for the new homebrew channel... Of this new versions Is out...May i could ask u again if i have some Problems with installing?

And the Last thing...what do u Think...how Long does it take untill the new version comes??

Best regards ;)
No problem! Don't worry about your English, I can understand what you're saying so it's good enough. Smealum says "soonish," so maybe this year if you're lucky? He's usually quick enough to get it working before the next system update is released.

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
Years
I started another new playthrough (though the most recent file is still safe, should I decide to continue it!)
The reason is because I hadn't played the old one in a while, and got tired of it, plus the large team size was annoying, so this one will only have seven members.

This time I'm using a more competitive team with a dual type core of Fire/Water/Grass and Steel/Fairy/Dragon.

Infernape, Milotic, and Serperior make up the FWG core, and Mega Scizor, Sylveon and Serperior again make up the SFD core. The free slot can be occupied by either Luxray or Crobat.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I started another new playthrough (though the most recent file is still safe, should I decide to continue it!)
The reason is because I hadn't played the old one in a while, and got tired of it, plus the large team size was annoying, so this one will only have seven members.

This time I'm using a more competitive team with a dual type core of Fire/Water/Grass and Steel/Fairy/Dragon.

Infernape, Milotic, and Serperior make up the FWG core, and Mega Scizor, Sylveon and Serperior again make up the SFD core. The free slot can be occupied by either Luxray or Crobat.

Spoiler:

That looks like a nice, well-rounded team. Should be pretty fun to use! Multiscale Milotic was crazy in Blaze Black; I haven't tried it in EXWY yet, but it should be just as good, even with all the power creep in XY.

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
Years
Well, that team didn't last long.
I discovered how to edit 3DS roms in PK3ds and how easy it was, so I made a personalized version with a lot of rebalances, more competitive items available in shops, and massively nerfed item spam. Potions are very expensive now, and Sacred Ashes can be bought for cheap in shops. Wild Pokemon hold their Mega Stones, and shops sell all kinds of items- everything from Leftovers and Black Sludge to Life Orbs and Choice items, useful berries, a few type gems, air balloons, rocky helmets, everything. But without revives and the expensive potions, battles will be more about strategy than item spam- just how I like it.

I'm not sure if this will make it easier or harder with the boss difficulty mostly unchanged, but since they all already use competitive items before the player can, and I can't rely on item spam anymore, it should be decently harder.

Edit: That said, though, I'd really like to use an ORAS mega, so I might make an edit of Sinking Sapphire instead.
I've become addicted to romhacking! It's only a matter of time before I learn enough about a tool to make my own entirely new hack.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Well, that team didn't last long.
I discovered how to edit 3DS roms in PK3ds and how easy it was, so I made a personalized version with a lot of rebalances, more competitive items available in shops, and massively nerfed item spam. Potions are very expensive now, and Sacred Ashes can be bought for cheap in shops. Wild Pokemon hold their Mega Stones, and shops sell all kinds of items- everything from Leftovers and Black Sludge to Life Orbs and Choice items, useful berries, a few type gems, air balloons, rocky helmets, everything. But without revives and the expensive potions, battles will be more about strategy than item spam- just how I like it.

I'm not sure if this will make it easier or harder with the boss difficulty mostly unchanged, but since they all already use competitive items before the player can, and I can't rely on item spam anymore, it should be decently harder.

Edit: That said, though, I'd really like to use an ORAS mega, so I might make an edit of Sinking Sapphire instead.
I've become addicted to romhacking! It's only a matter of time before I learn enough about a tool to make my own entirely new hack.
Personally I don't ever use healing items in battle, the game just isn't challenging when you can potion spam your way to victory. I wouldn't expect having good hold items available to break things too badly, though the Choice Scarf does give you a pretty big advantage over the brain dead AI. Good to hear you're taking an interest in romhacking, the community definitely needs more 3DS (and DS) hacks!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
When I try to load up the game, I get a black screen with dead pixels. I have the launcher icon so I feel like I'm doing something right, but could anyone help please?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
When I try to load up the game, I get a black screen with dead pixels. I have the launcher icon so I feel like I'm doing something right, but could anyone help please?

Assuming you're playing via hans, that's usually caused by a problem with the romfs or code.bin. The code.bin should be fine, you could try rebuilding the romfs and see if that helps. If not, which tool are you using to build the romfs, and which version are you trying to play?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
Assuming you're playing via hans, that's usually caused by a problem with the romfs or code.bin. The code.bin should be fine, you could try rebuilding the romfs and see if that helps. If not, which tool are you using to build the romfs, and which version are you trying to play?

I'm trying to play Eternal X 1.4 and I'm using PackHack 5.5 to build it. An issue that I had was that when I extracted the cxi file I got from braindump, I didn't get the actual folders to use for the building of the romfs. However, I improvised by using I think FS2 in the hacking toolkit exe to get the folder, which may or may not have screwed up the file.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I'm trying to play Eternal X 1.4 and I'm using PackHack 5.5 to build it. An issue that I had was that when I extracted the cxi file I got from braindump, I didn't get the actual folders to use for the building of the romfs. However, I improvised by using I think FS2 in the hacking toolkit exe to get the folder, which may or may not have screwed up the file.

I've had nothing but trouble with the newer versions of PackHack, although it does work for most people. Try version 4.4 (link here) and see if that works for you.
I don't know what fs2 does (haven't got the latest pack hack), but as long as it gives you the romfs folder it should be okay. Regardless, hopefully the older version will work; it's the one used in the installation guide so it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Years
I followed all the steps to get Wilting Y working with HANS, but when I try to open it from Homebrew, it just ends up at a black screen with some random colored pixels along the left side of the screen. I tried uninstalling updates to Y with the 3ds data management settings, but that didn't help. I used braindump and extracted the cxi I got to make the romfs folder, if that info helps. Did I do something wrong at some point? I really wanted to play this, as I find XY to be quite easy and in need of some difficulty.
Another question, once I get this installed, would I be able to use internet features? I'm using the legal version, so I think I should be able to, right?

EDIT: I think the only thing I might've done wrong is that I didn't uninstall the Y updates before dumping the cxi. Would that cause a problem? Other than that, all the files are in the right places on my SD card; I have no clue as to why it's not working...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I followed all the steps to get Wilting Y working with HANS, but when I try to open it from Homebrew, it just ends up at a black screen with some random colored pixels along the left side of the screen. I tried uninstalling updates to Y with the 3ds data management settings, but that didn't help. I used braindump and extracted the cxi I got to make the romfs folder, if that info helps. Did I do something wrong at some point? I really wanted to play this, as I find XY to be quite easy and in need of some difficulty.
Another question, once I get this installed, would I be able to use internet features? I'm using the legal version, so I think I should be able to, right?

EDIT: I think the only thing I might've done wrong is that I didn't uninstall the Y updates before dumping the cxi. Would that cause a problem? Other than that, all the files are in the right places on my SD card; I have no clue as to why it's not working...

The update shouldn't make a difference when dumping, it just overwrites a few things once the game is installed. A few people have had trouble with Y recently, so the problem might be something on my end. It should be fine, as I've built a cia with the download pack files and that works, but I'll double check everything to be sure.

I wouldn't recommend using the online features with the hack; some Pokemon have had their abilities swapped around (so that their HA is available), and met locations and levels will be wrong, which will most likely make them show up as illegal online. The legal version just makes sure you won't run into Pokemon with different types or moves they wouldn't normally have.

EDIT: I've just tested Eternal X with hans, and it looks like my shortcuts don't play nice with the latest version of homebrew. The hack won't even boot if it's launched manually through the hans app. It seems the latest version of hans doesn't work like the old one.

I'll look into getting a solution up as soon as I can.

EDIT 2: Turns out I needed to update some files from the homebrew starter pack, it looks like X works fine, but there's definitely something wrong with Y. Looking into a fix right now. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
So it turns out there was something wrong with the romfs files for the legal version of Wilting Y, which meant that all the versions were broken. I've replaced and tested all of the files for all versions of WY, so they should work now. Anyone still wanting to play Wilting Y should re-download and rebuild the game.

Sorry for the hassle!

Back