• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black screen when opening Pokemon Menu in Fire Red

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
I don't know if this is the right category to be asking questions about Pokemon Rom Hacking. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

So I've been working on my Pokemon ROM Hack, Pokemon Twilight, and I've recently come across an issue.

When a player tries to open the Pokemon Menu, the game's screen goes black.]

2p93bqv.gif

Music in the background continues to play.

Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks!

Blah

Free supporter
Years
It could be many reasons, but the most suspicious is that you probably inserted some Pokemon without fully repointing the needed tables or without inserting all the data correctly. Make sure your base stats table and such are correctly inserted.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
It could be many reasons, but the most suspicious is that you probably inserted some Pokemon without fully repointing the needed tables or without inserting all the data correctly. Make sure your base stats table and such are correctly inserted.

I haven't implemented any new Pokemon/messed with Pokemon at all...

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Have you messed with the start menu functions at all? It might be A-map shenanigans

What do you mean by Start Menu Functions? I assume the Menu w/ Pokedex, Pokemon, etc.

If that's correct, then I haven't done anything with them. I guess the only A-Map thing that I've done recently was trying to add a Map Script and it not working, but then removing it after it not working.

Last edited:

Blah

Free supporter
Years
What do you mean by Start Menu Functions? I assume the Menu w/ Pokedex, Pokemon, etc.

If that's correct, then I haven't done anything with them. I guess the only A-Map thing that I've done recently was trying to add a Map Script and it not working, but then removing it after it not working.

In that case maybe try to revert to a backup. Amap tends to like to write to places it's not supposed to.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
In that case maybe try to revert to a backup. Amap tends to like to write to places it's not supposed to.

Alright. I have my own backup from 2 days ago.

Do you know of a way to move all of my maps from my broken version to my backup?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Alright. I have my own backup from 2 days ago.

Do you know of a way to move all of my maps from my broken version to my backup?

Advance map will let you save your maps as files. Go to your map, File->Map->Save as. Then you can open and insert in v1.90 or whatever works.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Advance map will let you save your maps as files. Go to your map, File->Map->Save as. Then you can open and insert in v1.90 or whatever works.

Damn. Is there any other way of possibly fixing this issue? I'm going to lose so much progress if I do this.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Yeah you can fix it if you figure out what was overwritten. Generally that's pretty tedious. You can also export map scripts if that helps you any. This is why building your changes into the ROM is a better way to ROM hack ingeneral though (jigglemap when?)

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Yeah you can fix it if you figure out what was overwritten. Generally that's pretty tedious. You can also export map scripts if that helps you any. This is why building your changes into the ROM is a better way to ROM hack ingeneral though (jigglemap when?)

Is there a sort of byte I can compare to my working backup that has to do with opening the Pokemon Menu?

Also, what do you mean by "building your changes into the ROM..."

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Is there a sort of byte I can compare to my working backup that has to do with opening the Pokemon Menu?

Also, what do you mean by "building your changes into the ROM..."

Not quite sure what was overwritten in general, it could've also not been the Pokemon menu, and instead actual Pokemon Data which the menu needed to know about.

vxo

ROM Hacker
Years
Not quite sure what was overwritten in general, it could've also not been the Pokemon menu, and instead actual Pokemon Data which the menu needed to know about.

Well, I've been messing with it, trying to see a clear problem, and I don't think it's something with Pokemon Data, as I can move the Pokemon around via PC.

The ONLY thing I can think of that I was trying to mess with was Afflications. I was trying to change "PAR" to "PRZ".

Back