• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] New Pokémon Let’s Go footage shown at E3, Mew Gift from Poké Ball Plus

bobandbill

one more time
Years
New Pok?mon Let?s Go footage shown at E3, Mew Gift from Pok? Ball Plus

We'll update with the Treehouse footage when that is available to show, but new screenshots are within the article already!

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
We have a weak spineless and "nice" rival (as if we didn't have a thousand of those already) instead of the non pushover original champ Blue. lol this game keeps on amusing (and disappointing) me.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
The rival does seem pretty generic even for a Pokemon game.

But the thing that stood out in the Treehouse stream was how you're forced to have a water or grass-type before you actually face Brock. I hope this is only for the first gym, and not something required of the others as well.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It's extremely dumb. Why force me to get a water or grass-type? What if I want to solo with Mankey and thus don't need a grass type? It's like they're trying to make this game into a hold your hand adventure.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Belated "added the Treehouse footage to the article" post. Had things to do irl so couldn't post here about that.

Some things to like such as following pokemon feature returning, gym looking more like an arena now, music can't complain much about from what I could make out, and the slowpoke scene seemed promising for npc dialogue and sidequests ala USUM which I overall liked.

Trace looks disappointing as a character though. Not at all a fan of the gameplay limiting "you need a grass/water type pokemon to take on the Gym" implementation. Heck, Pikachu has Double Kick now (since when on that note??) so let people be able to take it on without a Pokemon type advantage. Look at how BW did the "first gym teaches about type advantages" thing for example.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Belated "added the Treehouse footage to the article" post. Had things to do irl so couldn't post here about that.

Some things to like such as following pokemon feature returning, gym looking more like an arena now, music can't complain much about from what I could make out, and the slowpoke scene seemed promising for npc dialogue and sidequests ala USUM which I overall liked.

Trace looks disappointing as a character though. Not at all a fan of the gameplay limiting "you need a grass/water type pokemon to take on the Gym" implementation. Heck, Pikachu has Double Kick now (since when on that note??) so let people be able to take it on without a Pokemon type advantage. Look at how BW did the "first gym teaches about type advantages" thing for example.

Pikachu knows Double Kick now?! Oh hell naw... whole point or fun in facing Brock was using Double Team, Tail Whip and Quick Attack. Now we get a Super Effective move it?s never learned until now? SMH.... I suppose Eevee is in the same boat with learning Double Kick?

Years
I am now even more disgusted at this game. The Gym forcing you to show a Pokemon that has a type advantage? That feels like blatant hand-holding. While it's nice that Pikachu now gets Double Kick for a better way to counter Brock (much like the Nidos in Yellow), it's still lame because of the hand-holding.

And then there's that Trace guy... seriously Game Freak, another friendly rival, and this time replacing such an iconic character? Friendly rivals have been a thing ever since 3rd Gen and they don't seem to stop. My bet is GF saw Blue and Silver's antagonistic persona as a bad influence for kids and decided to dumb down the rivals from there on.

It also even seems like abilities got removed, a long staple of the series since 3rd Gen. That is even worse than GTS, Battle Spot and Wonder Trade removal. Wouldn't be surprised if I decide I'm done with the franchise when 7th Gen ends, especially because of GF becoming hungry for profit, and I massively hate companies that put profit before customers, much like other greedy companies I hate such as EA and Mattel.

8th Gen's game next year is really going to have to live up to massive expectations if it has any hope of saving the fandom now. On a better note, we did seem to get presumably names for the new protagonists, the male is named "Chase" and the female is named "Elaine".

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I am now even more disgusted at this game. The Gym forcing you to show a Pokemon that has a type advantage? That feels like blatant hand-holding. While it's nice that Pikachu now gets Double Kick for a better way to counter Brock (much like the Nidos in Yellow), it's still lame because of the hand-holding.

And then there's that Trace guy... seriously Game Freak, another friendly rival, and this time replacing such an iconic character? Friendly rivals have been a thing ever since 3rd Gen and they don't seem to stop. My bet is GF saw Blue and Silver's antagonistic persona as a bad influence for kids and decided to dumb down the rivals from there on.

It also even seems like abilities got removed, a long staple of the series since 3rd Gen. That is even worse than GTS, Battle Spot and Wonder Trade removal. Wouldn't be surprised if I decide I'm done with the franchise when 7th Gen ends, especially because of GF becoming hungry for profit, and I massively hate companies that put profit before customers, much like other greedy companies I hate such as EA and Mattel.

8th Gen's game next year is really going to have to live up to massive expectations if it has any hope of saving the fandom now. On a better note, we did seem to get presumably names for the new protagonists, the male is named "Chase" and the female is named "Elaine".

Perhaps this game falls in line with their apparent ?reboot? when it comes to the movies(specifically Movie20 and Movie21). To fall in line with that, let?s make a newb-friendly game(that makes us veterans sick to our stomach) that warps back to the days of 1998 when abilities, natures and perhaps even genders, didn?t exist. Forcing you to get a Pokemon before challenging a Gym removes the purpose of learning Type advantages/disadvantages. Safe to say I?ll stick to my OLD Pokemon Yellow TYVM.

Years
Perhaps this game falls in line with their apparent ?reboot? when it comes to the movies(specifically Movie20 and Movie21). To fall in line with that, let?s make a newb-friendly game(that makes us veterans sick to our stomach) that warps back to the days of 1998 when abilities, natures and perhaps even genders, didn?t exist. Forcing you to get a Pokemon before challenging a Gym removes the purpose of learning Type advantages/disadvantages. Safe to say I?ll stick to my OLD Pokemon Yellow TYVM.

I do kinda believe your reboot theory. The next thing I'm betting they'll do is force the entire anime to undergo a reboot, and I imagine how much veteran fans would be pissed off over that.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I am not sure we are certain there are no Abilities or Hold Items? What we've seen of the status screen isn't necessarily all of it.

Reboot is not the case when they said that the 2019 title is basically gen 8, will be separate from Let's Go's casualisation, will have stuff long term fans want (apparently), etc. The anime certainly isn't changing just because of what is a pseudo-spinoff title either. Ash survived more than this. =p

Edit:
L'Belle said:
While Trace looks generic, I like it when my rival isn't a complete asshole so this is fine with me.
Eh, imo Blue was not a "complete asshole" either. He gave you items and hints too, he just also had a character that wasn't a "be your friend" sort and instead was very competitive. Same goes for Silver who underwent character development to go with his initial "total jerk" base, and we learnt his motivations.

Trace? Little to judge on so far but he's nice enough to give you free potions and apparently is cowardly (but this was not at all apparent from this scene).

Last edited:
Years
I think I just lost any interest in the games in those 45 minutes.

CPs are in the games alongside of candies that boost your stats. Question is - will this count as EV or IV boost? Not very fond of this feature making its way into the games.

The rival reminds me of Grant for some reason. Not gonna judge him after few seconds as he can get some good character development.

Pikachu learning Double Kick is sweet, but useless when you're forced to have Grass or Water-Type on your team for Brock. That's just bad example of making the games easier. BUT it could give us a little more variety on early routes. We saw Oddish in Viridian Forest. I only wonder what Water-Type Pok?mon is can be encountered early. I hope you're forced to have specific Pok?mon only for Brock and not for every other Gym Leader.

I'm very sad with what they did with EXP. Your Pok?mon get about 10 for beating TRAINED Pok?mon in the battle, but get 60 for catching WILD Pok?mon - act they didn't even take part of. Also if I can remember, they used 2 level 8 Pok?mon in the battle with level 3 Caterpie. So far it seems like battles will be just boring pushovers, where if you somehow loose, you can just enter co-op mode and use 2 Pok?mon at once.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Am I the only one who thinks that the requirement to have a Grass or Water type for Brock isn't just blatant handholding? HMs notwithstanding, this is the first time the game has put concrete, explicitly stated limits on which Pokemon you have to use to get through the game...Between that, and the fact that you get Exp. by catching Pokemon, I think what they're trying to do is push the player into catching large amounts of Pokemon (rather than just picking a team of 6 and getting comfortable).

I wouldn't be surprised if this "required to have a certain sort of Pokemon" thing recurs throughout the game, and not just for gyms - for example, say one area requires you to ride a Pokemon to get through, and if you don't have a big enough Pokemon, then - you just have to get one! You get what I mean?...

blue

gucci
Years
To me these games look fine and I'm even more looking forward to them after seeing this footage. Gyms are back, following Pokemon is back and I really like the overall art style.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Will forever miss Blue and Gold-type rivals. I don't miss the grinding/ slow level-up of the first few gens, but I do long for some difficulty (like appropriately leveled opponents). Not even sure if I'll be buying the Switch (although tbh probably, once gen 8 comes out)

DjKniteX

A trainer that is a musician
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 13, 2023
Not going to lie, the game looks fun, especially with 2 players. I might pre-order the game and hopefully they got a deluxe edition that comes with the pokeball

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I do kinda believe your reboot theory. The next thing I'm betting they'll do is force the entire anime to undergo a reboot, and I imagine how much veteran fans would be pissed off over that.

To be honest, I think a lot of fans would accept moving on from Ash if and only if he "wins" in the end. Would have been perfect had they had him win Kalos League, get the girl(although he got her anyway win or lose) and moved onto Season 20 with an entirely new cast and protagonist. That being said, the whole idea of having to pay $45 for a peripheral that isn't needed to play but is the only means of getting the Mythical Mew(aka pay $45 for a damn mythical) is greed personified. Tack on the handholding, the "prerequisites" to challenge a Gym and limiting us to the original 151 plus Alolan variants(which don't make sense whatsoever being that its Kanto, not Alola) means that anyone with common sense and some sense of a principled backbone will balk at buying this game. I won't deny that seeing another Generation 1 game is appealing but all the negatives I've been seeing have turned me off. Not to mention the fact that I'd have to plop $300 for the damn Switch to begin with.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Really don?t understand the backlash behind forcing you to have a grass or water type before the first gym. You guys need to understand that not every game is catered towards us. The developers have EXPLICITLY stated that the purpose of this game was to be catered towards a casual, newcomer audience. This audience might not know typing and might not explore every aspect of the world before charging off to the first gym. Also has everyone forgotten that the games are called ?Let?s Go?? And that they are connected to the mobile game Go? The main purpose of that game was to catch as many Pokemon as possible. Junichi Masuda said during E3 that he wanted people to catch as many Pokemon as they could in Let?s Go.

Combining these two points, it makes perfect sense for them to ask for you to show a stronger type before the gym, and we can expect the same requirements later on.

I maybe would not have given Pikachu Double Kick and removed Blue, but I can see why they did it. They probably don?t want people to have to grind or try to win against the same trainer a dozen times so they made Brock easier. Also, remember, we can 2v1 any trainer it appears (maybe there will be restrictions?) so.. it doesn?t look like this game is gonna be hard. Just fun.

It's extremely dumb. Why force me to get a water or grass-type? What if I want to solo with Mankey and thus don't need a grass type? It's like they're trying to make this game into a hold your hand adventure.

If you want to solo with Mankey then wait for the next ?hardcore? game in 2019 or play literally any of the other games. This comment literally ignores everything the developers said Let?s Go will be and just is whining ?But why isn?t it about ME?!? Not every game will be aimed at the same audience. Stop filling these threads with negative comments like these, they get in the way of actual discussion and hype for the game.

I originally came into this thread because I think the Treehouse changed my mind about this game. I wasn?t interested at first but the graphics look soo nice and the only large difference is the catching style, which put me off at first but doesn?t look so bad. I LOVE the way the world looks, so bright and fun and it looks really alive with the Pokemon running around. I really hope that the 2019 Switch also has wild Pokemon running around!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Really don?t understand the backlash behind forcing you to have a grass or water type before the first gym. You guys need to understand that not every game is catered towards us. The developers have EXPLICITLY stated that the purpose of this game was to be catered towards a casual, newcomer audience. This audience might not know typing and might not explore every aspect of the world before charging off to the first gym. Also has everyone forgotten that the games are called ?Let?s Go?? And that they are connected to the mobile game Go? The main purpose of that game was to catch as many Pokemon as possible. Junichi Masuda said during E3 that he wanted people to catch as many Pokemon as they could in Let?s Go.

Combining these two points, it makes perfect sense for them to ask for you to show a stronger type before the gym, and we can expect the same requirements later on.
I don't mind the aspect of it being to educate newer players to the series. My qualm is that it forces you to put them in your party. Consider the first gym in Black and White. The setup up was all about type advantages, and you also could get a free elemental monkey Pokemon nearby to help you overcome it too. But you were never forced to take it with you! The game was very clear about how typing works at that stage of the game, but it didn't outright make you have to carry the "right" Pokemon. For me, this does go against the whole "use your favourites" of Pokemon, and even if it's Kanto only we have over a hundred to choose from.

Encouraging catching as many Pokemon as possible can be done in other ways like sidequests and instant rewards (exp, Candy - so that's already happening), so I don't see this as being helpful to it either. The Gym guy could have just said "welcome! I suggest using Water and Grass types - if you don't have any and want an easier time here, check out Viridian Forest for some Grass types", and that would have sufficed in teaching new players. If they went ahead and ignored that text and lost, well, losing in a video game is also a learning experience. They could also be told that advice upon revisiting the Gym if they lost, an easy thing to track. Furthermore (not saying you specifically do this mind), nobody needs to pretend that mobile games or young kids now won't be able to overcome losing once in a while, despite Masuda's comments on that of late.

Back