• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Memories

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
I've actually never encountered a shiny pokemon, I'm sure I have some due to action replay but I've yet to get a shiny legitimately.

Maybe someday!

Abby

#freecoffee
Years
Shiny Pokemon are not NORMAL! They have been proven to be caused by an imperfection in the video game cartridge. You should not have any memory of them, apart from those of you destroying the cartridge.

BAN

SHINY

POKEMON

Last edited:

Killua

Shiny are propaganda created by nintendo to force me to buy their games past gen 1!
#notoshinies #notmypokemon #gen1bestgen

Years
My first ever shiny was the Red Gyarados when I first played Pokemon Gold as a wee tot. I imagine that this is so for many people. The plotline of the red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage was my favorite part of gen 2, and I added that bad boy to my team! He took me to the pokemon league and was a full-time partner in crime for me. Gyarados still has one of the most striking shinies ever.

At that time I did not grasp the concept of shiny pokemon. I thought of the red Gyarados as an anomaly like the crystal Onix in the anime. I did not realize that there were other red gyarados out there in the waters, let alone did I understand that every pokemon had a shiny form that I might randomly encounter. My innocence at that time makes me worry now if I may have overlooked shiny pokemon that crossed my path in those days, especially if they had more subtle color changes!!

My most recent memory of a shiny Pokemon is yesterday. I found a shiny ponyta last evening after only 84 encounters. I am overjoyed to have found Fiorio and added him to my family. His evolution Rapidash is quite possibly my favorite shiny after Milotic. Its just looks like heaven to behold with the smoky, cloud-like mane.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
My first ever shiny was the Red Gyarados when I first played Pokemon Gold as a wee tot. I imagine that this is so for many people. The plotline of the red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage was my favorite part of gen 2, and I added that bad boy to my team! He took me to the pokemon league and was a full-time partner in crime for me. Gyarados still has one of the most striking shinies ever.

At that time I did not grasp the concept of shiny pokemon. I thought of the red Gyarados as an anomaly like the crystal Onix in the anime. I did not realize that there were other red gyarados out there in the waters, let alone did I understand that every pokemon had a shiny form that I might randomly encounter. My innocence at that time makes me worry now if I may have overlooked shiny pokemon that crossed my path in those days, especially if they had more subtle color changes!!

My most recent memory of a shiny Pokemon is yesterday. I found a shiny ponyta last evening after only 84 encounters. I am overjoyed to have found Fiorio and added him to my family. His evolution Rapidash is quite possibly my favorite shiny after Milotic. Its just looks like heaven to behold with the smoky, cloud-like mane.

That is exactly what I thought too. It was a real one of a kind Pokemon. Since I too saw the anime first.

Would've been way cooler if it was, I think.

I found that before Krabby, because game, but I don't count it as it's intended to be shiny. Not a very memorable answer to say "My first was the same as everyone else's that was intended to be" so I instead went with my first truly random encounter.

Years
That is exactly what I thought too. It was a real one of a kind Pokemon. Since I too saw the anime first.

Would've been way cooler if it was, I think.

I found that before Krabby, because game, but I don't count it as it's intended to be shiny. Not a very memorable answer to say "My first was the same as everyone else's that was intended to be" so I instead went with my first truly random encounter.

It definitely would have been dramatic if that Gyarados was the only one of his kind.

Since shiny pokemon are no longer determined by a swap with the next color in the game's code, but actively designed now it would be interesting if Game Freak created a new shiny for Gyarados, and left the red Gyarados indeed as an unexplained mystery of the past of the pokemon world like Crystal Onix or Pink Butterfree.

So did you try to catch that shiny krabby? Its a real nice shiny with that gold tone. Speaking of nice-looking, I see somebody has another stylish avvie today!
:)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It definitely would have been dramatic if that Gyarados was the only one of his kind.

Since shiny pokemon are no longer determined by a swap with the next color in the game's code, but actively designed now it would be interesting if Game Freak created a new shiny for Gyarados, and left the red Gyarados indeed as an unexplained mystery of the past of the pokemon world like Crystal Onix or Pink Butterfree.

So did you try to catch that shiny krabby? Its a real nice shiny with that gold tone. Speaking of nice-looking, I see somebody has another stylish avvie today!
:)

It's a little late for them to do that, but yeah, that is certainly the approach they should've taken. Tsk, tsk...

Sadly, no, it got away. I think I messed up trying and it fainted. To be fair, in gen II, shiny Krabby was uuuugly.

It was basically just toilet water brown. Ew. I recall Ratatta being the same way.

Haha, you pick up fast! Well I'm back on the Team Magma skin, the beautiful crimson board, so I needed something red again. :P

Glad someone with such great taste approves!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Shiny Trapinch in XY, I really didn't care actually and just stuffed it in a box, that's pretty much all the memories I have. Never ran into shinies in any other gen. except II but II had the easy odd egg and mandatory shiny gyarados.

Years
It's a little late for tthem to do that, but yeah, that is certainly the approach they should've taken. Tsk, tsk...

Sadly, no, it got away. I think I messed up trying and it fainted. To be fair, in gen II, shiny Krabby was uuuugly.

It was basically just toilet water brown. Ew. I recall Ratatta being the same way.

Haha, you pick up fast! Well I'm back on the Team Magma skin, the beautiful crimson board, so I needed something red again. :P

Glad someone with such great taste approves!

R.I.P krabby! If I had a shiny krabby I would give him to ya for nostalgia's sake. I didn't think Rattata was too bad, but maybe I'm partial since he was one of my first random encounter shinies. I thought he looked more of a quiet beige. Put he definitely is way better now with golden fur and turquoise eyes. Good old Midas (my shiny rattata) brings back memories. <3

Years
The first random encounter shiny Pokemon that I ever came across was a shiny Teddiursa in Pokemon Gold. Unfortunately, every Pokemon in my party was grossly overleveled compared to it, so even the weakest move of my weakest Pokemon ended up one-hit KOing it. It wasn't until later on that I thought that I should've just tried chucking Poke Balls at it hoping for the best, instead of chancing a KO by attacking it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2021
A shiny golbat in leafgreen
Sadly ran out of pokeballs trying to catch it
Didn't know about 'encounter rates' so I went back to the same area walking around forever trying to find it again. I had just thought it was special and showed up in that general location for whatever reason

Years
a shiny linoone that I fainted with my Blaziken because like an idiot I thought it would survive because I assumed shiny Pokemon were stronger versions of the regular counterparts.

sigh.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I thought this thread would be for game memories in general, but my first shiny was a ratata on crystal.

As for memories in general well pokemon battling is a memorial experience for me thats just 'different' from my normal, more 'cute and gentle' types of activities xD Its overall a great expirience though. Pokemon get a lot off good out of battling.

Even outside battles, though, pokemon is probably pretty memorial for me when I play it. But, yeah, battles tend to hold a bit of a highlight for me xD In both the games and the anime. They just....stay with me. For me they're different and interesting and refreshing and fun. I'm not much the feisty type outside of pokemon (cept during times when i'm super into kirby stuff lol). I like peaceful girly girl cute things. Yes, my favorite gym leader is still korrina! I have a crush on her, though, so.... :P heh

Last edited:
Years
Excluding the Red Gyarados it was a Rhyhorn in Gold. At the time there was a rumour floating about the playground in school there was a way to get to the Orange Islands and the pink island with the pink Pokémon was part of this rumour. So as you can imagine I was very excited and thought it was related to the Orange Islands when I encountered this pink Rhyhorn.

Back