• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever repeat a type in your teams?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I sometimes use dual type pokemon that share a type. It's hard to avoid in some games like the Kanto ones where there is an extreme abundance of one type like poison or flying or ground.

Years
In X, my main story team had two Dark-types, which was Greninja and Pangoro. And even in my original Ruby I overlapped Grass (Roselia, Breloom) and Water-types (Swampert, and later Golduck with Pelipper).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I don't focus on types on teams, rather how well they work together or sometimes have beneficial traits I need (like if I want to run Trick Room, I'll generally use Pokemon that are slow or have priority or weird abilities that give priority, etc).

The closest I've done to care about types are themed teams, like a Sunny Day (mostly fire) team or a Rain Dance one, mostly water.

I literally don't worry about repeating types.

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I do this all the time. It is usually Grass, appropriately, and has often been known to be Bug or Flying types. I play what I want in single player.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
A good idea to use whatever you want even with overlapping types. I get bored when I use ones I don't like, and they end up wasting a slot on my roster.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
There have been a couple of playthroughs where I balanced my team, but I'm normally terrible about it.

I overlap a lot, because I love fire types, and so I tend to use two or three fire Pok?mon a lot of the time.

Or two electrics, or two flying.

By the end of the game, my team is a mix between Fire, Electric, and Flying, mostly. Maybe a Psychic type in there somewhere. I pay attention to secondary types, though, and I give them certain moves that are handy against their weaknesses. They're uneven but I always manage. It's a little weird, but I've never used many Normal or Ground, or Rock mons. They generally don't appeal to me much, and unless I come across one I really like (Aggron, Rockruff, Tyranitar) I don't usually raise them.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Normally if they're duel type and have different ways of battling then I don't really care, especially not if it's a useful type (or normal) I probably wouldn't have say, 2 fire or 2 electric types though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I often do. I usually have lots of pokemon on my team that share types. My ultra moon is weak to bug bc i have too many part psychic types

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I try not to overlap any type at all if I'm playing with 6 pokemon. I'm a bit more okay with overlapping types like Flying or Normal which are more 'supportive' in nature, but less okay with overlapping something like Water.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Depends on the mon. If I have a Flygon and Garchomp in the same party, I'm totally double doubling up!

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
I generally try not to use repeating types upon planning eventhough I always strive for dual-typed pokemon, but sometimes it just isn't possible to totally avoid repeats.

For me, the repeats afaik were in gen 3 (water ofc) and gen 7.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
i like to do themes, like all birds or as im doing currently, all fish (thank goodness for dragalge, stunfisk, eelektross for type variety), so i often have overlap. i also played red recently with slowbro and vaporeon, and alpha sapphire with both beautifly and dustox

Sorvete

Novice
Years
Rarelly. But I remember one time using 3 ground-types on my team without even realizing for a long time '-.-

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
I try to keep my team mixed but I did do a play through the other week of FR with only water types... (getting through the tunnel without flash was a blast...not).

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
I actually try never to repeat a type, if its possible. I think it adds variety to my team, especially in multiple runs of a game. The only type I usually end up repeating is Normal or Flying, just because so many Pok?mon have those types.

Years
Rarely.

Generally it's only with dual-type Pokémon that share one type but not the other, but I try to avoid even that. It also depends on how much influence a type has on a Pokémon's overall abilities... For example, Gyarados is half-Flying-type, but you can't really use it as a Flying-type in the same sense that you can do that with, say, Fearow or Staraptor, so avoiding overlapping with Gyarados' Flying typing isn't as high a priority for me as, say, avoiding overlapping with Breloom's Fighting typing in addition to Grass.

One recent exception to this is in Y version, where I used both Absol and Zoroark (on a seven-Pokémon team, no less) because I got a Zorua over GTS who I deduced was probably a reject from some breeding program or something, and I felt so bad for her that I couldn't not work her into my team, redundant though she was.

And now I love her so she ain't leavin'!

Last edited:
Years
Occasionally. Usually it?s just normal types, like my original Black team which had a Stoutland (Normal) and Sawsbuck (Normal/Grass), or something like my latest Omega Ruby run, where I have a Swampert and Camerupt, but they don?t share any weaknesses.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Short of having a team full of Eevolutions or Pokemon with a Single Typing, its extremely difficult not to have a team where one or more Pokemon share a particular Typing.

Back