• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blue hack: Pokemon Blue Kaizo: Update 4.5 (Very challenging experience)

How Kaizo was this?

• Definately Kaizo

Votes: 162 60.9%
  • Fairly challenging

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Remove Flash HM from Rock Tunnel for unremovable flash

Votes: 58 21.8%
  • Unfair

Votes: 36 13.5%

• Total voters

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
Years
Anyone still playing? Are there any special instructions for downloading the most recent version? I've tried downloading the rar file but when I try to extract it errors. Anyone have a good download?

Try this one.

Attachments

• Pokemon - Blue Kaizo Version (UE) [S][!].ips
    22.7 KB · Views: 163

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
Years
Thanks so much! Do you know if there is a community for the game on reddit or discord or anything like that?

I don't know about a community or anything like that revolving around this game.

Perhaps you can look around for something like that. However, they might be inactive due to the hack being fairly old.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 9, 2021
I wish Submission had no recoil and 100% accuracy like in Crystal Kaizo considering how bad fighting types are in gen 1. Poliwrath, Primeape, and Hitmonchan would appreciate it. Everything else is good.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2021
Bump. After doing the reverse path through the Kaizo romhacks, I must say this is a pretty decent 1st try, given how little Gen 1 provides in terms of variables to enrichen the game, but also screw the player over, like the absence of held items, which levels the playing field by a lot, and the number of HMs, which the player has to carry at all times in Kaizo. The overworld difficulty is far lessened in comparison with Crystal and Emerald Kaizo, as the areas are far more linear and less maze-y, also punishing spacebar speedsters a bit less. The obvious exception is, of course, the Safari Zone, so kudos to SHF on how inventive that part was.

As per a previous post on the Crystal Kaizo thread, I always select my team from 6 rng numbers, this time between 1-151. I got ALAKAZAM - WEEZING - MAGIKARP - SANDSHREW - RATTATA - VENOMOTH. Funnily enough, I also got Magikarp and Zam on Emerald Kaizo. I always try for itemless, set-mode-only runs, and I almost succeeded this time, having been forced to change to shift mode vs Champion, along with the use of a single hyper potion.

Zam is absurdly good, but on a legendary-tier availability. Kadabra and Abra (this one on Route 23, but no Recover) have a catch rate of 1-5 and a 1% encounter rate (no Teleport on them), making it worth it to use the Master Ball (which you can buy at the League for 10k). Until then, Venomoth and Weezing carried, having to be overleveled vs Sabrina, and needing both Sandshrew and Rattata to catch up vs Giovanni. Sleep Powder + Psychic is insanely good, but it won't carry you vs Gym Leaders, as they spam Full Heals infinitely.

As for battle difficulty, I must say that the best Psychic-types in Gen 1 are far more OP than anything in Crystal Kaizo bar Ubers, Aerodactyl and Umbreon/Blissey. The level cap being lower than in Crystal Kaizo also helps, making the need for good DVs ever more important. The E4 combined took me less than 100 tries, and the Champion alone took me more than that, with Magikarp playing a fundamental role in the end. Other than that, Sabrina and the two consecutive battles in Victory Road were noteworthy challenges.

Team at Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

Team's final movesets:
Spoiler:

VS Lorelei
Spoiler:

VS ???
Spoiler:

VS Agatha
Spoiler:

VS Lance
Spoiler:

VS Champion (shift mode + 1 hyper potion)
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 19, 2021
hello does anyone know how to edit GB trainers cuz ive only seen things for GBA or things that only edit the gym trainers and leauge.

(im asking this here cuz maybe i can use the one that SinisterHoodFigure used)

Years
Blue Kaizo was entertaining and challenging for sure. What makes him unique are the customized maps and the strict gyms order, very well planned. About the gameplay, I would say you can adapt easily against any gym thanks of the multiple & diversity Pokémon encounters. Most important items were Repels, Paralyze Heal and Healing stuff (Hyper Potions, etc). It surprised me the fact that you can't use Revive on battles, that makes it a challenge. Feeling good after beating Elite Four.

Years
I completed Blue Kaizo tonight. Challenging, unfair, hair-pullingly difficult... yet I'm truely satisfied. Yes, I am more satisfied than completing Radical Red for the dozenth time.

In addition to Zaxthork's post, Ethers were also vital as well; especially not only for the Elite Four challenge but also for the Rock Tunnel marathon and most importantly for the huge Lavender - Fuchsia - Celadon marathon. After completing the Lavender marathon the game was mostly done with the exception of very tough battles, really.

But for those who love SHF's hacks yet hate huge amounts of grinding, consider playing Intense Indigo, again from SHF. Hell, in my opinion, Intense Indigo is better. Just play and see.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 22, 2022
Hi all, I am trying to play this ROM but having difficulty running it. Can somebody help me out?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Don't even bother. The game is impossible to beat. I even used Gameshark codes to make Mewtwo, Tyranitar, and Ho-Oh my starters. I even made them all hold Lucky Eggs. I even modified their movesets to include moves they wouldn't otherwise learn. I even gave myself 198 Full Restores. I even gave myself 99x of each X Item. I even gave myself infinite money. The game's not Kaizo; it's just impossible. It's just impossible. And the encounter rates in some places are unheard of... running into a Pokémon every 3-4 steps. Don't get me wrong, I love the Kaizo series, but I feel like this game still needs work. It's not Kaizo; it's impossible.

it is not impossible. im far from being an expert in pokemon and i beat the game without using cheats (ok i did use some candies here and there whenever i didnt have time to grind and i did watch some walkthroughs bc of the map edits). apart from that, the kaizo games just require you to try and try and try, and then try again with a different solution. that is why they are so much fun to play!

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
Years
it is not impossible. im far from being an expert in pokemon and i beat the game without using cheats (ok i did use some candies here and there whenever i didnt have time to grind and i did watch some walkthroughs bc of the map edits). apart from that, the kaizo games just require you to try and try and try, and then try again with a different solution. that is why they are so much fun to play!

I beat this game a while back and I didn't use cheats whatsoever. I even had a Venusaur on my endgame team just for fun.

I went as far as put my opinion of the game on the RomHacking.net site because I wanted to give my opinion on a game that is ambiguous in terms of quality.

It went something like this

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 26, 2022
How to download Pokémon blue kaizo in color

Every blue Kaizo rom that I have downloaded has been in a .gb format. This means that the rom comes out in black and white. When I have downloaded other games (crystal kaizo), they have been in the .gbc format and therefore In color. My question is how to a download a blue kaizo rom in color?

I have a chrome book and an iPhone to work with.

Thanks!

Years

Every blue Kaizo rom that I have downloaded has been in a .gb format. This means that the rom comes out in black and white. When I have downloaded other games (crystal kaizo), they have been in the .gbc format and therefore In color. My question is how to a download a blue kaizo rom in color?

Thanks!

As Vortalization from Reddit explained to you there, Blue Kaizo is a gen 1 hack. This is why the file extension is .gb. And Crystal Kaizo is gen 2 hack and thus its file extension is .gbc and it is coloured. There is no such thing as "blue kaizo rom in color".

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023

Thanks!

i had the same issue but i think i may have just solved it, you'll need to download lunar ips in order to patch a base version of blue version, you'll need to patch the base game with gen 2 graphics, i used this
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1385/
and then finally you'll need to patch the game again with the ips of blue kaizo
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2277/
not sure if the order matters, when i did it like this it turned mewtwo into missing# on the main menu lol, but other than that no problems, this might be because i patched in gen 2 style graphics from the file folder instead of gen 1, either way hope this helps, i searched for hours on how to remedy this and no one seemed to have any answers.
edit- exeggcute & butterfree are also missing#

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
So I finally beat this. I wont give spoilers but the elite four were godly. You really have to think. This was basically the nightmare version. I wish more games were this hard. I used the same team everyone else seems to use. Snorlax, Golem, Arbok, Vileplume, Primeape, and Blastoise.

Days
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 15, 2023
This is my first kaizo to play. Currently at Surges gym and seen that can't use any revives in battle but are we not able to use any potions either at this stage?? Game let me earlier in the game but now gives the prof. Oak msg saying not good time to use this

Days
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 12, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I attached Blue Kaizo patches for Gen 1 or 2 Sprites in Color! And also Blue Kaizo with Yellow sprites. Just patch to normal blue copy.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Blue Kaizo Yellow Sprites.ips
    164.7 KB · Views: 5
  • blue-kaizo-gen 1 color.ips
    139.7 KB · Views: 2
  • blue-kaizo-gen 2 color.ips
    175.8 KB · Views: 7
Back