• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Unfezant is really quite unpleasant

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Unfezant. Possibly the worst starting bird of all time.

Pidove looks cute but then it just... I dunno skyrockets in an awful direction? Ok firstly: has anyone actually used Unfezant for their playthrough? Has it been of any use?

If you're like me and despite loving birds, absolutely are confused about Unfezant: what would you change? How would you make Unfezant more pleasant to use?

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Yeah it's my least favourite regional bird for sure. I didn't mind Tranquil though. I think I used it for HM Fly.
Hmm idk about improving Unfezant. Maybe if it was based on a stylish peacock instead. Or a Lyrebird
iRYI1nB.jpg

Years
I did use Unfezant for a while in my first playthrough of Black, and while I did like what Game Freak were going for with its gender differences, it was unfortunately held back by learning mainly special moves despite being a physical attacker. It was pretty much a Flying-type Garbodor when you consider stats like that.

I don't think I'd change the design since the line was meant to be based on common pigeons which are often seen in city streets, which in turn fits a region based on New York itself.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
Pidove is cute, but when it evolves into Tranquill, it declines in design and starts spamming Detect and Roost. I like male Unfezant's design, but female Unfezant looks a bit generic. And overall, Unfezant is just a worse Staraptor.

As such, I've never used Unfezant. In Pokemon White, I went on without a Flying type until I could catch a Rufflet. I did, however, use a Pidove in Pokemon White 2. But I immediately permaboxed it after catching a Zubat in the Castelia Sewers.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Unfezant is the first 'generation bird' (Pidgey, Tailow, Starly) I didn't use, mainly because of its bland design (Pidove is fine still). It's rather forgettable and it doesn't seem to have any specific stat advantages. Instead, I had set my eyes on Braviary immediately.

pkmin3033

I used Unfezant, although that was admittedly because I didn't have much of a choice, given how poor the other Pokemon along the starting routes were. I'd sooner use that than, say, Watchog or Stoutland.

I found it about as useful as Swellow and Noctowl, I guess? Not as useful as Pidgeot or Staraptor. Of all of them it's probably my least favourite...although I didn't like Talonflame or Toucannon much better.

The female design isn't quite as bad as the male one.

Years
It would have been so much more useful had it been special oriented; it's physical movepool is abysmal!

If I remember correctly, its only physical moves without breeding are Fly and Aerial Ace, which are both TMs. It has to rely on TMs if it wants a good physical Flying STAB.

That is what I call crap.

Years
I never really used it but knowing it's stats and move poll, Unfezant doesn't seem to bring much new to the table.

I used Braviary instead. It has a nice attack stat and a good movepool but it's a bit too slow. It's low speed stat doesn't make it as useful as Staraptor in my opinion.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I actually quite enjoyed using Unfezant. It's by no means amazing, but it's decent enough. If there was one thing I could change, it would be it's levelup moveset. It's filled with Special moves when the Pokmeon itself is a Physical attacker. I could see it learning Close Combat as well.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Years
I never used it beyond just fly, but I really like its design. That could be because I lived on a farm growing up, and my family raised a bunch of birds like pheasants. There really is that much of a gender difference with pheasants, so I appreciated what they were going for. They may have stayed a little too true to the actual animal, but I was happy for it.

I at least liked it better than the Staraptor line based on design alone.

Years
I don't mind its design, but I don't remember ever using one past the first few routes since I usually avoid using the regional birds once I can get something else on my team. There were just so many other Flying types to choose from.

As far as looks, I think it beats out Pidgeot, Noctowl, and Toucannon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 14, 2018
Noctowl does still stand out from the others for being more special-based. Unfezant is the one who's a huge mistake compared to the other early game birds.

Noctowl can't even make good use of Fly and Brave Bird due to its lol physical attack.

You'd have to give it moves such as Air Slash, Night Shade and Psychic to somewhat work in-game, and they don't really help its 86 Special Attack... Swellow at least has Brave Bird to go with its 85 attack stat

Back