• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is the worst Pokémon anime series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I vote the b/w anime, that was a discrace

Joto was pretty bad too, but not as bad as b/w

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
B/W wasn't that bad. They are all pretty much on the same level. They all have varying degrees of love and hate. Both Kanto and Sinnoh sets have the most controversy surrounding them based on some events from the anime and characters.

What people mostly are pissy about with B/W is they reconfirmed his age still at 10 and from that point the mindset was just its going to suck. With the predetermined disposition set, no you aren't going to like it. Tested this with Disney Frozen. Asked people to watch it who thought it sucked and they didn't enjoy it at all. Asked people to watch it with neutral mind, half enjoyed it half disliked it. Asked those who liked it to watch it and they enjoyed it a lot.

If you have a set thought, you completely drown everything else out and only focus on that thought.

Personally, the side fillers are what I find horrible. They are literally only there to fill in time between game adventures after the main story ends or between major story arcs.

Orange Island, Whirl Island Cup, Battle Frontier/Advance Battle, the end of Sinnoh League Victors, and Adventures in Unova and Beyond. The pacing for them doesn't have a static flow, they rush at one point then slow down too much.

So for me the worst part is always the filler arcs.

Not feeling XY right now because its becoming very predictable for me and I lost interest sometime early on. Still giving it the benefit of the doubt and waiting for an episode to appear to break my expectations.

Didn't get around to watching B/W after the B/W-B2W2 switch so after Roxie's battle I kinda just skimmed it cause I was able to predict some of the outcomes. Ash made it further in the finals than I anticipated, but the outcome was what I expected.

Hoenn was the series that I didn't enjoy as much, mostly because of Max. Sinnoh I watched start to finish and thought it was ok, though Hunter J and Paul were two horrible characters. The cast for it left a lot to be desired and they were beating a dead horse by this generation. The B/W reset for the anime was needed IMO.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I have watched till a point of Hoenn and some early Sinnoh episodes. My least favorite is the Hoenn season. I just got bored.

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
Years
I enjoy all series of the anime, but my least favorite is Best Wishes. I found the episodes to be very bland and could not find a reason to like the characters - especially Iris. Without intriguing characters or plot, it was hard for me to want to keep up with the series.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I didn't like the B/W series. I thought the battle scenes were some of the best scenes the anime has to date, but the characters stunk. They ripped all the personality from Team Rocket. I liked how they no longer appeared in every episode, but they were no longer team rocket, but rather the stereotypical villains with no charm. Plus, I found Iris and Cilan very annoying and I often cringed at their comments.

To sum it all up, awesome battles, less than stellar characters. :/

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
Years
they were all great.
I liked all the anime.
but Hoenn just had to come last.
I never liked hoenn, maybe it's because I played Ruby over a million times :\
Alright here's the list
Kalos(so far)
Sinnoh(Epic)
Kanto(Awesome :))
Johto(My Favourite Region but not anime wise)
Unova(It was great)
Hoenn(bit annoying)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
I recently started liking Pokemon a few months ago so I have only watched pokemon orgins and pokemon x and y. But my favourite out of those too I guess is pokemon x and y.

DarkCloud1267

Master Trainer
Years
For me ive never actually HATED any of the anime series. each has it's good and bad points.
so my list from goes like this so far

Jhoto
Kanto
Kalos
Origins
Sinnoh
Orange Islands
Unova
Hoenn
Chronicles

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2020
BW is the worst series by a light year. It doesn't measure time, it measures distance! XD

1. The dub. Having duets as the opening theme was new but really didnt give the old feelings (I admit Japanese OPs weren't too good as well until Natsumeku Sakamichi) DP dub openings are way better. The episode names are just simply a reflection of the events in the episode (Rematch at the Nacrene Gym, Ash versus the Champion ==) and it makes them boring if compared to other seasons and XY. The Japanese episode titles are like that most of the time but they don't show the events so blandly like the dub did.

2. The way the show belittles Ash is just way too bad (losing 5 to 6 to Cameron, Pikachu doing nothing to a Panpour and a Snivy, going berserk against Elesa and almost losing 3 to 6 to Roxie). It pretty much made Ash a starting-out trainer like in the Original Series. Thank god it ended after the Unova League.

3. Ash's pokemon. It's good that Ash finally captures more than 6 pokemon in a region but the rotation mechanic is bad. It made some of the Pokemon completely ordinary as some of them like Palpitoad and Boldore only had their moments in ONE gym battle. They could've send some of his pokemon for training like Gliscor and Charizard or as Juniper's assistant like Bulbasaur did. We were happy when Scraggy became Ash's first dark-type pokemon but it was almost never featured in any episode at all.

4. The Unova League. Having Pikachu going 1-on-1 against Serperior was pathetic. And Pikachu OHKOing Serperior with a move combination when the former is almost down and the latter taking zero damage previously? What's that? Boldore and Oshawott were like death fodders against Cameron's Hyderigon too. and Ash used zero 'abnormal' strategies this time. Plus having a new guy with 0 personality win the league was just horrible although not as bad as the stupid uber spamming idiot in Sinnoh (Tyson at least showed some good character although Ash didn't meet him for long).

5. Iris and Cilan. We liked the sarcasm that Misty, May and Dawn gave us but apparently the writers wanted us to hate sarcasm so they increased Iris's by a mile. The idiotic kid comments. Robbing the Dragonite from Ash. Also they showed almost no soft sides of her as every anime series did to every female. The only one I can remember was her childhood in Opelucid. Cilan on the other hand didn't have what it takes as a replacement to Brock. His running gag was his connoisseur moments and was portrayed horribly.

6. Filler arcs. Was it necessary to show the bad guys rule the region after the league? I mean Kanto and Johto never showed that since Team Rocket and Team Flare are the only evil organisations standing as to date. They tried to make references to previous seasons then but failed. Ash's Charizard never gave the epicness to us that it used to have. Looker was OK, Team Rocket failed to show any character this time (they did have emotional moments of the three and I loved those episodes).

7. Dawn's return. First up I need to mention that I didn't hate her. It's just that Misty's return was epic and May's was cool but Dawn's didn't show any special moments. May vs. Dawn was awesome but Dawn vs Iris? Just that stupid Dragonite going crazy again ==

8. Every tournament that was held. They made me feel that they had nothing to do and are just wasting our time with all these tournaments. The tournaments are nothing special too. They should've shown some special ones like random tag battles Sinnoh did and Orinteering like the Battle Frontier.

9. Horrible planning. No new mechanics. No triple battles, no rotation battles (they're hard to execute but possible too). Having Ash fly from Icirrus to Virbank for a gym then flying back to Undella? BAD. They could've let Ash fight Marlon instead. Plenty of the unique locations in Unova were never featured (Cold Storage, Relic Castle, Reverse Mountain, Strange House, Marine Tube, Dragonspiral Tower, Undella Bay and many more)

10. The rushness. When the Decolore Island arc becomes my favourite part in this season you know how bad it was. The rushing factor (Ash fighting a gym every 8-10 episodes) which they revived from Kanto really didn't execute well. Based on the amount of new pokemon gen 5 brought us I originally expected plenty of filler episodes but they brought back the rushing mechanic and did it badly. The only slow part before Ash wins all 8 badges was when Ash goes from Castelia to Nimbasa.

Here you go. My record-breaking longest post to represent my everlasting hate for BW. I've only watch the first 10 episodes of XY and it's already better than it's preceedor. I mainly caught up with BW through Bulbapedia and I will probably skip this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tox
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I personally wasn't too fond of Johto series. Compared to Kanto, its episodes were sort of stale and repetitive for me. I didn't miss a single episode of original season, but when it came to Johto, though, there were plenty. Don't regret it either, to be honest. I wouldn't call this worst, but it simply didn't fit my taste. Besides that, I've also skipped B/W season (not completely; ran into few episodes every now and then on Cartoon Network, but just didn't pay much attention). I really disliked how they took away all foolishness from Team Rocket, as stated before. Team Rocket is one reason I actually enjoyed watching Pokémon, but that wasn't the case this season. :'( Diamond and Pearl kicked off amazingly, but started going downwards as they reached Snowpoint city.

Years
You should have made a poll for this OP.

Johto WAS my least favorite season but Unova took the cake which is sad because it had a LOT of potential to be the best series yet.

Rushing, Iris and to a lesser extent, Cilan's character, Pikachu losing to Snivy bs, rushed league, rushed pacing, horrible development amongst Ash's Unova team, CAMERON, the list goes on and on and on.

The fact that they just threw Iris and Cilan on a train as opposed to the long and sad goodbyes all of the other traveling companions had is also really telling.

You know it's gotten bad when Pokemon falls out of the Top 10 ratings in Japan. Hence why the anime director and many of the writers for Unova were fired and replaced.

XY has a lot of promise and has rectified a lot of mistakes so far, namely Ash being a competent battler and FINALLY having the water starter be his main focus. (It seemed like they were going that route with Oshawott but something happened in which everything went to Hell.)

The jury is obviously still out on XY but I definitely like it a LOT better than Unova.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
Never really hated any season
I liked How the animation got better in BW but hated that ash lost absolutely everything felt like Bw was just one long filler until XY

Sinnoh was a season too long but was awesome through out

Years
Unova season was terribly bad, and did not live up to the awesomeness of Sinnoh season. Nuff said.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
I'm gonna go for, not region but season was boring, battle frontier. It was incredibly boring! Got sick of it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2020
battle frontier was probably the rushiest season yet, if that word exists XD

60-70 episodes with 7 frontier battles, 5 contests and a grand festival... u know it.

Still I liked the way Ash's team turned out in the end.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I'm gonna go for, not region but season was boring, battle frontier. It was incredibly boring! Got sick of it.
battle frontier was probably the rushiest season yet, if that word exists XD

60-70 episodes with 7 frontier battles, 5 contests and a grand festival... u know it.

Still I liked the way Ash's team turned out in the end.

IMO Battle Frontier never had a dull moment. So many great and unique battles, minimal fillers, and fantastic contest battles along with an entire Grand Festival made Battle Frontier one of my favorite seasons if not my favorite. The lack of fillers is what made BF seem rushed; BF was the anti Decolore. There really wasn't a need for fillers at that point of AG though. The prior three seasons of AG gave us all of the characters that we needed, all of the Pokémon that were used for battling, and all of the development that was showcased during BF.

Rant62

Johto for it's huge amount of filler and B/W for it's lackluster rival, companions, league, and villains.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Best Wishes, nuff said.

They took everything Ash worked for (and almost won) in Sinnoh, then smacked him on a trip to Unova, where stupidity ensued. Then when Ash managed to earn eight badges with enough time left for a full conference arc, the doo-head writers wasted all of it up until the next plane ride over to Kalos.

Within Unova, Ash had lost:
-His right to age
-His Pikachu's experience
-His ability to call out those who insult him (Such as Iris. He at least snapped at Misty a few times).
-The Club Battle
-The Clubsplosion
-The Wishing Bell Festival
-Any mutual respect Dawn had for him to Iris.
-The Meloetta that followed him for a few episodes.
-The Vertress Conference, along with his top 4 record, and chance to fight his intended league rival, Virgil.

What lengths will they go to in Kalos?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Best Wishes, nuff said.

Within Unova, Ash had lost:
-His right to age
He didn't age in any of BW's predecessors either.
-His Pikachu's experience
Pikachu retained his experience during the beginning but slowly lost it due to lack of training, which is actually really good because we get to see Pikachu become strong all over again during XY.
-His ability to call out those who insult him (Such as Iris. He at least snapped at Misty a few times).
He still occasionally snapped. There's an entire episode revolved around an argument between Ash and Iris called "The Path That Leads to Goodbye!"
-The Club Battle
Ash is constantly losing tournaments, not just the Club Battles. The Club Battle episodes were actually really good for BW character development.
-The Clubsplosion
See above
-The Wishing Bell Festival
See above lol
-Any mutual respect Dawn had for him to Iris.
???
-The Meloetta that followed him for a few episodes.
Ash never catches legendaries. That's probably the closest he'll ever get to catching a legendary.
-The Vertress Conference, along with his top 4 record, and chance to fight his intended league rival, Virgil.
Same with any other regional conference besides the Orange Islands. Although I wasn't a big fan of the Vertress Conference either after Ash lost to Cameron's party of five.
What lengths will they go to in Kalos?
I'm sure Kalos will follow the same patters but with nicer animation. Some things will get changed up but who knows what they will be.

My point is that BW was really no different than other seasons outside of the basics. Sure, Ash didn't train that much but that's what kept him from being OP during XY with fair reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back