Age 23
ya boi
a Torterra's back
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
2,733 posts
8.8 Years
Spoiler:

Hi everyone! Thanks for participating in this year's Secret Santa! We didn't have much action in the IC thread but y'know, that's okay- the main point is giving each other the gift of a new character. :) I hope even if you didn't find a way to fit them into this scenario, you can use them in future writing!

But, even though the IC isn't the main point, we still want it to be good and fun! So what's up, y'all? What went wonky this year? Did you just not have time during the busy holiday season this year? Was the scenario not something you felt you could work with? The ideal was to JP and interact with other characters- did JPs fall through? Would you prefer more structure in some way? What changes can we make to this format so you would be more likely to write?
A bit late on the feedback but I mentioned it a bit when the event came out - while my favourite part (the character creation) was super fun, I feel like the prompt was a little too open-ended which made coming up with posts quite difficult. I had the motivation to write something, but it felt like more of a setting with no objective, since we weren't given anything to do besides attending the party. Perhaps a list of gifts to hand out, or giftees to surprise, would've been easier to work with as prompts.

Regardless, I absolutely loved Cubeth's Rob and I of course plan to re-use him in Spear much like Victor from last year, so stay tuned for that ;)
Paired to Gligar and gimmepie
Friend Code
SW-5146-5893-7210
I make memes and other carcinogens

Aquacorde

the more we love, the more we learn // the more we love, the more we BURN 🔥

Age 28
she/her/he/him
Ankh-Morpork
Seen 20 Hours Ago
Posted 21 Hours Ago
11,492 posts
17.5 Years
A bit late on the feedback but I mentioned it a bit when the event came out - while my favourite part (the character creation) was super fun, I feel like the prompt was a little too open-ended which made coming up with posts quite difficult. I had the motivation to write something, but it felt like more of a setting with no objective, since we weren't given anything to do besides attending the party. Perhaps a list of gifts to hand out, or giftees to surprise, would've been easier to work with as prompts.

Regardless, I absolutely loved Cubeth's Rob and I of course plan to re-use him in Spear much like Victor from last year, so stay tuned for that ;)
I get that it was open-ended but I don't think that attending the party was all there was- I did design the points system to be a prompt list, and the goals there were basically JP with people and exchange gifts with players or NPCs- so that was the "giftees to surprise", in a sense. I didn't think that was overly different than prior years?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to setting up a list of prompts or gifts next year and I do wish y'all would have like. Asked for prompts? Asked for help? Rather than just drawing blanks and then not really doin' much.

Foxrally

Age 23
ya boi
a Torterra's back
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
2,733 posts
8.8 Years
I get that it was open-ended but I don't think that attending the party was all there was- I did design the points system to be a prompt list, and the goals there were basically JP with people and exchange gifts with players or NPCs- so that was the "giftees to surprise", in a sense. I didn't think that was overly different than prior years?

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to setting up a list of prompts or gifts next year and I do wish y'all would have like. Asked for prompts? Asked for help? Rather than just drawing blanks and then not really doin' much.
I definitely agree that there was more I could've done to be proactive on my end, such as asking for ideas from others, but that beats the point of a prompt - the creativity should be in "how do I write this story" rather than "what do I write", in my opinion. The point system didn't feel as much of a prompt either, since it simply had criteria like "gift exchange with NPC" or "gift exchange with a player" which still don't provide anything beyond a setting.

I realize the point was to encourage people to gift to each other rather than NPCs, but perhaps limiting it to just that was what made the prompt feel too open-ended.
Paired to Gligar and gimmepie
Friend Code
SW-5146-5893-7210
I make memes and other carcinogens