• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't even feel like getting a laptop that has netbook internals. Tablets, yeah, I could use the battery life, but laptops? Underpowered as heck. And yet if I want to see a non-netbook CPU, I'm looking at spending a grand for just one laptop. Even repairing the laptop sounds cheaper, ya know?

Maybe I'll get the laptop repaired. Not now, though. Kind of annoying... Repairs are expensive, ya know?

On the other hand, if it fails... I don't trust the construction any more. I think I might prefer a different thing...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'm preferring more on non-netbook laptops as well, because I'm more favored on many features inside, even though the battery life keeps becomes one of my concerns when it comes to buying laptops.

This reminds me, my laptop have finally repaired some hours ago, and I think repairs might be expensive or not, it depends on the parts which are broken, imo.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm using a laptop because it's portable, but I'm thinking if I should build my own PC in the future. It seems to be cheaper (because I don't need all the fancy stuff they have in the prebuild PCs) and also it sounds fun to have one that you built by yourself.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hey guys, let's talk SSD's (Solid State Drives). What are your opinions on them?

Not enough space if it is the only drive, especially on single-bay laptops. On a tablet, though... 😉 I prefer dealing with only one single drive for simpler management.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
SSDs seem to be getting more and more popular these days, since they are a lot faster than traditional HDDs. SSDs are also more reliable, since they can't be easily damaged. If you switch over to an SSD, you wouldn't be required to run your disk defragmenting programs constantly. Plus, on most occasions, it increases your battery life. Solid-state drives may have limited storage capacities and be a little more pricey than regular hard drives, but they are definitely worth it.

I don't have an SSD, but will most likely get one at some point in the future. [:

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The only real problem with SSDs is that it doesn't really have any indication that a SSD is failing. Hard disk drives tend to start to perform less than optimal when impeding failure looms right ahead of it. Mechanical parts tend to wear out first...

Years
I have no experience with using a computer actively that contains a solid-state drive, but I have heard that SSDs are faster than HDDs in terms of speed.. but if it's space you're after, then I recommend HDDs.

And for failures, I remember last year when the desktop I had now belonged to my parents and ran Vista, I had no idea what was wrong with it, until I went into BiOS and did a diagnostic test. The diagnostic found that the HDD was going dead, so after I saved up, I went to Best Buy and I got a new Seagate drive that had matching specs to the failed drive, and it has worked flawlessly since.

Years
But I've heard SSDs are more reliable : < And amazing scientists and engineers are looking to create a material that can withstand hundreds of millions of R/W cycles.

And it's common practice to put boot on SSD, and all your warez on HDDs right? :P

Years
I'd have to get a device with an SSD so I can see for myself how much they differ from hard drives. I was actually considering getting one as part of an upgrade this past Christmas for my current desktop, but opted out for the time being.

I also have a friend who installed an SSD onto their computer for use of keeping the OS functional and installing the programs onto the SSD while he kept the HDD with the computer for storage.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Just remember that SSDs aren't exactly all roses and the like. Sometimes your needs would be fulfilled much better with a regular HDD. If you're a media junkie or a hard core gamer, you might want to stick with the old-school contraptions for now. These things take up a lot of space.

Years
@ Zach Yes, please do tell! I think I'd be comfortable with a 256 GB SSD, not sure if 128 GB would be enough to cover boot + mains + spreadsheet games. They're still hovering around $200 right? :S almost as much as a decent graphics card.

Also, do any of you run with 10,000 RPMs? How's their speed compared to SSD's?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
Not enough space if it is the only drive, especially on single-bay laptops. On a tablet, though... 😉 I prefer dealing with only one single drive for simpler management.
SSD's are mostly used for boot purposes since the price per GB is significantly higher than the standard hard drive equivalent. That being said, while it is simpler to manage one hard drive, you can really benefit from running a combination of a solid state drive and a traditional hard drive.
SSDs seem to be getting more and more popular these days, since they are a lot faster than traditional HDDs. SSDs are also more reliable, since they can't be easily damaged. If you switch over to an SSD, you wouldn't be required to run your disk defragmenting programs constantly. Plus, on most occasions, it increases your battery life. Solid-state drives may have limited storage capacities and be a little more pricey than regular hard drives, but they are definitely worth it.

I don't have an SSD, but will most likely get one at some point in the future. [:
Speed is a huge advantage to solid state drives, that's for sure - another thing to keep in mind is their smaller footprint in general. They can fit into smaller form factor PCs a lot easier than traditional hard drives.
The only real problem with SSDs is that it doesn't really have any indication that a SSD is failing. Hard disk drives tend to start to perform less than optimal when impeding failure looms right ahead of it. Mechanical parts tend to wear out first...
That's not really a problem in my eye as the failing of a hard drive is an inevitability, SSD or HDD. You do have a valid point, though.
I have no experience with using a computer actively that contains a solid-state drive, but I have heard that SSDs are faster than HDDs in terms of speed.. but if it's space you're after, then I recommend HDDs.

And for failures, I remember last year when the desktop I had now belonged to my parents and ran Vista, I had no idea what was wrong with it, until I went into BiOS and did a diagnostic test. The diagnostic found that the HDD was going dead, so after I saved up, I went to Best Buy and I got a new Seagate drive that had matching specs to the failed drive, and it has worked flawlessly since.
They really are - up to 10x faster and the difference is noticeable instantly.
The biggest disadvantage I can see in switching to SSDs is that they have a very finite number of read/writes that can be done to them since they're basically just flash sticks in hard drive form.
This finite number - while being correct won't be less than 10 years in practice (probably closer to 15 than 10, in fact) due to some pretty efffective algorithms that prevent the drive from wearing out quickly.
But I've heard SSDs are more reliable : < And amazing scientists and engineers are looking to create a material that can withstand hundreds of millions of R/W cycles.

And it's common practice to put boot on SSD, and all your warez on HDDs right? :P
This is the best way to do things, if by wares you mean legally obtained items. :) But it's not only for your OS and boot files but for programs that you use a lot, such as your web browser, for example.
I'd have to get a device with an SSD so I can see for myself how much they differ from hard drives. I was actually considering getting one as part of an upgrade this past Christmas for my current desktop, but opted out for the time being.

I also have a friend who installed an SSD onto their computer for use of keeping the OS functional and installing the programs onto the SSD while he kept the HDD with the computer for storage.
You should have. They're more than worth the higher price per GB in my personal opinion.
Just remember that SSDs aren't exactly all roses and the like. Sometimes your needs would be fulfilled much better with a regular HDD. If you're a media junkie or a hard core gamer, you might want to stick with the old-school contraptions for now. These things take up a lot of space.
This is a very, very good point. Although I still think investing in a SSD + HDD is the best way to go.
@ Zach Yes, please do tell! I think I'd be comfortable with a 256 GB SSD, not sure if 128 GB would be enough to cover boot + mains + spreadsheet games. They're still hovering around $200 right? :S almost as much as a decent graphics card.

Also, do any of you run with 10,000 RPMs? How's their speed compared to SSD's?
I'm picking up my new MacBook Pro in around 2 hours with a 128 GB SSD (Flash storage) so I'll let you know how that is.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
My desktop runs with a 64GB SSD for Windows 8 + Firefox and 500GB spinning drive for files and other programs. It runs just fine, and I can boot in ~1 second, discounting BIOS (my motherboard has a rather long POST). I am planning on upgrading to a 128GB soon so I can also fit my most used game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, on the SSD - I can get it on now, but there will only be about 12GB left on the drive, and that's too full for comfort, imo. As it stands the SSD has about 34GB free, and the HDD has about 325GB.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I plan on building a PC in a few months with the dual SSD + HDD setup and I'm only putting a 64GB SSD in it. Anything else (for a dual setup) is too much; the rest should really go in your hard drive.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
I plan on building a PC in a few months with the dual SSD + HDD setup and I'm only putting a 64GB SSD in it. Anything else (for a dual setup) is too much; the rest should really go in your hard drive.

True unless you're a gamer, as most games these days will be at least 15GB. You could get by a lot easier if you're running Linux, as most vanilla installs only take up about 2GB. Even OS X (hackintosh)
is only around 8GB, versus Windows' 20GB (for 64 bit).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
True unless you're a gamer, as most games these days will be at least 15GB. You could get by a lot easier if you're running Linux, as most vanilla installs only take up about 2GB. Even OS X (hackintosh)
is only around 8GB, versus Windows' 20GB (for 64 bit).

Running an OS that isn't Windows 7 or later is the biggest mistake when building a gaming PC ??????

Trying to run other OSes sometimes take a while to adjust.

Years
Maybe this Christmas I can get an SSD for Christmas and convert over to the dual setup, except that would probably mean I would have to reinstall Windows. Y'all have really made me interested in trying the dual setup between an SSD and an HDD now. :P

Do any of y'all have a recommendation for an SSD, though? Specifically one to go along with a 500GB HDD.

Oh, and for the next desktop I want to have, I don't want to build it to my liking. I have never built a PC before in my life, but it shouldn't be too bad because I know someone who is a tad more tech-illiterate than me that built their own desktop 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back