• 63 replies

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Chrono Trigger - Chapter Eight
I started things out this time by jumping back and forth through time collecting a bunch of items I could now access thanks to the activated pendant. From there I jumped right back to the antiquity age I came from and busted Melchior out of prison - which involved the most intense boss fight up to that point. That point (more on that later). Shortly after we were visited by the prince and princess but that Dalton asshole kidnapped them.

We followed along behind them, kicked the crap out of Dalton and chased him, the Queen and her followers down to the underground palace where Lavos was starting to come back. I collected a bunch of cool gear on the way and killed legions of monsters to come face to face with Dalton again... and he summoned a pair of crazy strong golems that immediately murdered me. Round two against them went better, but it was work.

Then it was time to confront Lavos for the first time, joined by Magus who seems to actually be on our side. Lavos psyducked us up, disintegrated Chrono and dropped the floating islands from the sky triggering gigantic tsunamis. Then, to make things worse, the aftermath saw Dalton arrest the remaining party members, claim the title of king, confiscate their stuff and lock them up.

Things are getting intense now but it's all coming together.
RPWLA&MBattle ServerDaily

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Chrono Trigger - Chapter Nine
I escaped from prison and defeated Dalton, reclaiming by inventory and the Epoch in the process. Then I talked to Gaspar and obtained the eponymous Chrono Trigger, allowing me to brave Death Mountain and revive Chrono with some time shenanigans. After that I went on a bunch of sidequests as directed by Gaspar allowing me to get several characters their ultimate weapons and the best armour available. Sounds quick but it actually took several hours lmao.

Then it was time for the final confrontation... sort of. Actually it was time to fight through a seemingly endless boss gauntlet and a bunch of unavoidable regular fights. So, remembering that there was intermittent normal fights for a lot if it, I worked my way through three mutant creature bosses each stronger than the last (although the second was actually the hardest imo), then Queen Zeal's three different forms and then finally Lavos who was a boss gauntlet all by himself.

His first form imitates the first nine major bosses you face in the game one stage after the other. This is actually pretty easy as you can heal between them and they have the same power level as the actual boss so most die in a single hit or two. His second stage is his out shell, which breaks open upon defeat allowing you to enter his inner core. The inner core fights are where the difficulty is turned up.

It's a two stage fight. The first stage does hefty damage and can remove your status immunities. It takes work to beat, but the second, disturbingly humanoid form is the really tricky part. It has two satellites around it, a nearly invincible one that can revive the other destroyed parts and one that heals the "main body" and other satellite. The trick here is that I used quotation marks for a reason, the main body is actually the nearly indestructible satellite - the humanoid body is a decoy. It took me a few round of re-killing the healer sattelite to work it out. Once I did though, the fight got way easier and I was able to finish it off.

After that, it was onto the epilogue. A parade was thrown in honour of Chrono and the rest of the party, celebrating their efforts as they marched to the time gate. Then it was time for some emotional goodbyes as those from other times made their ways home. Then Chrono's cat ran into the gate and his mum chased after it, signaling the beginning of a new adventure as Chrono, Marle and Lucca left in pursuit.

This was a really fun game. The gameplay was fun, typical Square (Enix?) RPG but with a twist thanks to the way enemies move about and the existence of dual/triple techs. The story was well written and the characters were mostly compelling. Marle, Lucca, Frog, Robo and Janus are all fantastic. Ayla is a bit less interesting, but fun enough. Chrono gets a pass on judgement as a silent protagonist. Game-wise, I favoured Chrono, Marle and Frog (who were my final party) in combat but every character feels useful and well-balanced.

The music is also really solid, I especially like the music for the Cathedral and the Magus and Lavos fights. The animated cut scenes were cool, but weirdly some cut scenes still used sprites instead and the choices of where animation or sprites were used sometimes felt weird. Especially the times that you basically watch the same scene twice, first animated and then with sprites. The art style also felt a bit weird. It's really good, but the way Toriyama reuses designs is a little off-putting at times.

Overall, an excellent game. It's not without its faults, but I highly recommend it.

Story: 9/10
Visuals: 7/10
Soundtrack: 7/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Total Score: 31/40

Devalue

Any pronoun
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
248 posts
88 Days
Congratulations on finishing the game. Agrees with your opinion on the music for Magus and Lavos (and overall). Wants to add a few notes of interest.

1. Cannot take Ayla's weapon (Fist). Becomes an excellent choice for the Blackbird jail escape.
2. Accesses Lavos without the Black Omen too. Could have crashed into Lavos with the Epoch or taken the bucket. (Probably knew that. Feels proper to destroy the Black Omen, also.)
3. Features multiple different endings, depending on when you defeat Lavos. Recommends watching them.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Congratulations on finishing the game. Agrees with your opinion on the music for Magus and Lavos (and overall). Wants to add a few notes of interest.

1. Cannot take Ayla's weapon (Fist). Becomes an excellent choice for the Blackbird jail escape.
2. Accesses Lavos without the Black Omen too. Could have crashed into Lavos with the Epoch or taken the bucket. (Probably knew that. Feels proper to destroy the Black Omen, also.)
3. Features multiple different endings, depending on when you defeat Lavos. Recommends watching them.
I actually had Ayla out of pure chance because I was trying to catch up her techs a bit xD

Cherrim

Age 32
she / her
Toronto
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
32,653 posts
18.4 Years
The music is also really solid, I especially like the music for the Cathedral and the Magus and Lavos fights.
The cathedral BGM is one of my favourite tracks in the game and I so rarely see people bring it up when they talk about the OST, so I was really happy to see it get specific mention here. It's such a good track!! :D

paired with erik destler.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
The cathedral BGM is one of my favourite tracks in the game and I so rarely see people bring it up when they talk about the OST, so I was really happy to see it get specific mention here. It's such a good track!! :D
Yeah, it's gorgeous and not many people seem to rate it as a favourite.

ZeoStar

dream world
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
5,911 posts
3.6 Years
Regarding the note of silent protagonist, I liked the scene with Chrono sacrificing himself for the party. It was a great way to give him a bit of character.
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/1c9662e4/cloud_3_400x350.jpg

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Regarding the note of silent protagonist, I liked the scene with Chrono sacrificing himself for the party. It was a great way to give him a bit of character.
It definitely helps in the moment. There's not really enough beyond that for it to be fair to comment on him as a character though.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Final Fantasy IV - Chapter One
Got through a decent chunk for my first gameplay session. I learned early on about Cecil's questions about the morality of his kingdom and was introduced to the white mage, Rosa, and the Dragoon, Kain. I also met this game's Cid. The King was quick to discover Cecil's misgivings and demoted him from his leadership role, sending he and Kain to fight off an eidolon and deliver a necklace to the village of Mist.

We killed the Mist Dragon eidolon and soon reached Mist... where the necklace's spell activated and burned the place to the ground. We met Rydia in the aftermath and took the kid summoner in out of guilt for the party's role in her mother's death... but she had an emotional outburst that summoned Titan, ripped open a chunk of continent and separated the party from Kain.

Taking the only route open to them, Cecil and Rydia went to Kaipo, where they ran into Rosa again... sort of. She had come to warn Cecil but gotten ill on the way and needed a pearl from an antlion nest to recover. So Cecil and Rydia headed off that way, meeting a sage named Tellah who was in search of his daughter, Anna, who had eloped with a bard from a neighbouring kingdom.

We retrieved the pearl and made it to the kingdom where we quickly met the bard, actually the kingdom's Prince Edward and Anna. But Baron, Cecil's home kingdom, attacked and stole the crystal from them, killing most - Anna included. In the aftermath, Tellah left to hunt down the enemy commander so we returned with Edward to heal Rosa. After that we set off to warn the next of Baron's likely targets. On the way, we met a Monk who was the last survivor of an expedition used as a trap to lure away the target kingdom's forces.

We returned to his home just in time to defend it, but were pushed back. Kain and the commander, Golbez. Kain attacked us, allowing Golbez to kidnap Rosa while he took the crystal.

I already like this more than FFV. The characters are much more personable, developed and compelling already and the story seems much more interesting. The gameplay is fun too. That being said, the narrative pacing feels extremely rushed in places and some plot events seem to happen in weird spots where they'd make more sense and be more gripping later on. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see where things go from here.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Final Fantasy IV - Chapter Two
Did a smaller bit of gaming this time, but some noteworthy stuff happened. The party went to speak with Fabul's king to plan their next move. They decided they needed Cid's aid and that they'd approach via ship because, despite controlling the skies, Baron had a weak navy. Along the way though, the ship was attacked by Leviathan and dragged underwater. Cecil woke up on a beach alone, presuming Rydia, Yang and Edward dead.

Cecil then found himself in the mage village of Mysidea, the place he had attacked in the prologue (and where the locals will poison him or turn him into a frog or pig gladly). He talked to the elder and was given a chance at redemption: challenging Mt. Ordeals to become a paladin. If he could do that, he'd gain access to the road back to Baron. With two apprentices called Palom and Porom from the village as watchdogs/assistance, Cecil took on the mission.

As they fought their way up the mountain, they encountered Tellah again, who was there trying to regain memories of the spell Meteor. Eventually, the team were confronted by Scarmiglione, the Earth fiend - a servant of Golbez. He was quickly defeated, returning as an undead abomination who was promptly murdered again. With that out the way, Cecil had to confront a mirror of himself and willingly refuse to fight back (but also not die) to earn his transformation to a paladin, being spoken to by a strange light that called him "son". The twin apprentices implied they knew something about this but didn't say what. Also Tellah spontaneously regained his memories of all his spells for no apparent reason.

With that out the way, it's now time to march towards Baron.

Again, I'm impressed by how much better written this is than FFV. The story is far more compelling as are the cast of characters, all of whom are likeable and/or interesting. The story does continue to suffer pacing issues though. Also, as a game told primarily from Cecil's perspective, the character writing does take a bit of a hit because of the frequent rotation of party members. I'm still enjoying this plenty though!

ZeoStar

dream world
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
5,911 posts
3.6 Years
so cool. i've never played FF4. although i played and finished FF6 which I heard was everything improved on it. glad your enjoying it
http://www.simpleimageresizer.com/_uploads/photos/1c9662e4/cloud_3_400x350.jpg

Cherrim

Age 32
she / her
Toronto
Seen 7 Hours Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
32,653 posts
18.4 Years
Agreed on the FF4 pacing. One thing I lamented with it is that its characters are great, but they aren't really given much breathing room to just... be. It's just a symptom of being an older game, but I think a remake that was trying to actually revitalize the game rather than recreate it (like the 3D one was, I think), would have done absolute wonders for this game.

paired with erik destler.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
so cool. i've never played FF4. although i played and finished FF6 which I heard was everything improved on it. glad your enjoying it
Honestly, that's not an inaccurate description. There's a few small plot similarities and both have expansive casts of characters all with unique abilities. FFVI does a better job of pacing and developing and managing its cast. It has a bit more customization too. FFIV is still great too.

Agreed on the FF4 pacing. One thing I lamented with it is that its characters are great, but they aren't really given much breathing room to just... be. It's just a symptom of being an older game, but I think a remake that was trying to actually revitalize the game rather than recreate it (like the 3D one was, I think), would have done absolute wonders for this game.
That would be really interesting to see actually.

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 10 Hours Ago
Final Fantasy IV - Chapter Three
I wandered around the map aimlessly for a while before remembering where the pathway to Baron is. From there it was a quick bit of travel to Baron where I was reunited with Yang - although I did have to beat his memory back into him. He informed me he had no idea where Edward was and that Rydia had been eaten by Leviathan. There was no time to mourn though! We broke into the castle and discovered that the Water fiend was impersonating the king. We killed him pretty easily and reunited with Cid, but he activated a trap where the walls started trying to crush us, forcing to Porom and Palam to petrify themselves to hold the walls in place so we could escape.

We bored Cid's airship, the Enterprise, to flee but were confronted us and offered an exchange: the earth crystal for Rosa. So we headed to Troia where we were reunited with a gravely injured Edward and learned the earth crystal had been take by a being called the Dark Elf. I fought the Elf, who was actually a dragon, and retrieved the crystal. Kain then contacted us again and lead us to where Golbez and Rosa are.

I need to leave it there for now though cause I need to grind before I go through the tower... yay.