• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Favorite New Additions/Improvements?

Ice Car

Banned
Years
What are your favorite additions to this game and improvements to BW1?

My favorite improvements are, as a whole, how different the Unova Region is and the post-game content altogether. I realize those are two huge things that cover a lot of different... Whatever (I can't articulate my thoughts at the moment) but these are my two choices.

There's just so much to do after you complete the game, and I loved ALL of the new gyms, especially the ones that were remodeled. And then there's the changes to the Elite Four. Good God, are their entrances so much more awesome, and most of all not slow as **** and "samey," if you know what I mean.

Nes-One

Another Person Into Pokemon
Years
The repel option, its pretty convenient when you running through caves and the pwt especially when you can battle the first and second gen gym leaders.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Stuff in addition to main gameplay stuff as a whole, compared to the likes of BW. Between Hidden Grotos, improved missions, medals, pokestar stuido movie thing, tournaments and so forth there's much more things to do besides the usual and more reason to keep playing the game too as well.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
They finally bothered to animate trainers properly for the first time. I hesitate to call it an improvement since this could've been done since D/P/Pt at the latest, but there we go.

The repel dialogue, again, could've been done much earlier so all it is at this point is regrettable that it wasn't added sooner.

Grottos are nice but feel like a waste of time.

And I'm an abrasive cynic, I know. Even if I appreciate these things in themselves they are simply uncompelling. B2/W2 aren't bad, they just don't seem to have staying power with me, though that may be a problem I have with Pocket Monsters in general at this point.

Years
My fave features would be Pokestar Studios, the animated Trainer sprites, extra Triple & Rotation Battles, Hidden Grottos, Pokemon World Tournament, medals but my absolute fave is the message that tells you if you want to use another Repel.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
My fave features would be Pokestar Studios, the animated Trainer sprites, extra Triple & Rotation Battles, Hidden Grottos, Pokemon World Tournament, medals but my absolute fave is the message that tells you if you want to use another Repel.
Okay, if you're going to list that many, maybe number them?

sunshinesan

Pokesho fan
Years
  • Seen May 9, 2014
Oh boy, the little things made this game.
Search function in the boxes - life saver
Dragging multiple pokes in boxes - read above
repel chaining - yes sir
medals - a step towards modern gaming
free space - better customizable organization
join avenue - what's more fun than leveling up your pokes? Leveling up your shops!
key system - difficulty and trading cities was very cool and a step up
Unova Challenge - A rogue like (kinda) feel tower exploration game that was actually challenging and engaging post game, really enjoyed it.
New breeding mechanics - makes us breeders have less headaches
Real rewards - charms, shinies, a lot of cool stuff.
its the small things - again, so I can't really think of all of them now, though I assure you it is more than what was said above.

Stuff that was new but were underwhelming -
Pokestar Studio - meh
I guess that's it. Though GF did streamline a lot of the game mechanics, trading pokemon and items is still a chore, GTS is useless, random matchup is a nightmare, anything that has to do with player interaction (what this game was built upon since Red and Blue) is soo tedious, and nothing was changed on a large scale. Hopefully Gen 6 will fix up this series to be on par with its contemporaries, GF is lucky that this is pokemon, and they can get away with a lot of their annoyances, i.e. pokemon is so awesome, most of these faults can be overlooked, but not for long.

Pinta77

They finally bothered to animate trainers properly for the first time. I hesitate to call it an improvement since this could've been done since D/P/Pt at the latest, but there we go.

They could have done that in Crystal Version. I don't know why it took til diamond and pearl for poke animations to become a standard feature, and until black 2 and white 2 for trainer animations to become a standard feature. -_-

I'm a big fan of black tower. I beat it in 2 days, but floors 9 and 10 took me the whole 2nd day. It was quite a challenge, I found myself saying some naughty words >.<

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
They could have done that in Crystal Version. I don't know why it took til diamond and pearl for poke animations to become a standard feature, and until black 2 and white 2 for trainer animations to become a standard feature. -_-
What I mean by 'properly' is the animation quality. The trainers now move smoothly and don't slide around.
Compare
Spr_HGSS_Clair.png
to
Spr_B2W2_Clair.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Overall i liked most of the new additions : Pwt, Medal box, Pokestar, 'Use another repel?' thingy and so on.The mod of the interiors of Gyms were also good.The animated trainer sprites were also a good touch.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
I made the mistake of not talking to the Medal guy until after I beat the Elite Four

half-an-hour of mashing "A"...

I hate Pokewood, I just try to get through the one time you're required then I never go near it again until I have absolutely nothing else to do

fun fact: Red's HG/SS Sprite had black hair, but his overworld had brown

I love his Gen V look too

Gen IV:
Redwalkdown.png

Gen V:
Red_OD.png

Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
EVERY BLOODY THING, IN THE WHOLE BLOODY GAME! Sorry flr the outburst, everything in the game, is epic. Even pokewood, the rival, the new gym designs and gym leader looks. God Elesa looks so cute.....*Drools*...Who? What?

XD And the grottos, AND THE ABILITY TO CATCH OVER 300 POKEMON BEFORE POST-GAME.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm really fond of some minor things, really. I love that I can swap items between my Pokemon. Very useful for when I'm passing my Lucky Egg through my party. I like that the game asks if you want to use another Repel after the previous one goes out. It's just very convenient.

I made the mistake of not talking to the Medal guy until after I beat the Elite Four

half-an-hour of mashing "A"...

Oh God, I hate that. I haven't spoken to him in my English Black 2 except the mandatory part and I hope I don't accidentally talk to him lmao. v_v I think the concept of the medal system is great, however having to talk to this guy to get them is a pain. I don't ever talk to him and what if I start caring about medals? Then I'm gonna have to sit through an hour of getting them. If they bring this back in the future, I hope that you just kinda auto get the medal, like the achievements on Xbox games.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
My favorite things are PWT, The new Unova Dex, Join Avenue, and other stuff I can't think of since the games are just that damn awesome. :)

Side-note: roll tide roll, Syd :3

Adore

Party.
Years
The new "Would you like to use another Repel?" feature, the Medal system, PWT for going above and beyond the gym leader rematches that I hoped BW would have but lacked, and the variety of Pokemon from different regions in the Unova Pokedex.

The gym remodels, as well as the personalized remixes of the gym leader building theme for each gym were great as well.

And basically every other little detail and addition they made. BW seemed so lacking in content to me when I played it, but BW2 added so many great features that they're honestly some of my favorite games in the series.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
The new "Would you like to use another Repel?" feature, the Medal system, PWT for going above and beyond the gym leader rematches that I hoped BW would have but lacked, and the variety of Pokemon from different regions in the Unova Pokedex.

The gym remodels, as well as the personalized remixes of the gym leader building theme for each gym were great as well.

And basically every other little detail and addition they made. BW seemed so lacking in content to me when I played it, but BW2 added so many great features that they're honestly some of my favorite games in the series.

This guy, this guy gets it. B]
Basically everything he said, But I'd like to get into more detail about the themes and the Repels.

Good God those additions are fantastic. It legitimately made my life more difficult to have to go into my bag EVERY time the last Repel wore off, select it, or find it God forbid I find another item, find it, use it, get outta my bag, and continue on and junk. When it first asked me, I nearly cried. <3

The music:
Hot dang. HOT, DANG. I've always dreamed of having my own Gym with a different theme than all the other losers, and now no one has the same loser theme. They all win (except Cheren). Good Lord they all win. Roxie's is cute, Burgh's is so relaxing, Elesa's is perfect and pumped, Clay's is a definite "mine" theme with a great funk vibe, Skyla's makes me feel like I'm actually in the sky, Drayden's is so Legend Badge worthy and so dramatic it's fantastic, and Marlon's is so serene, so much like a resort, and just perfcet. Good God, I am in love with these new themes.

Back