• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First UU team: any suggestions for improvement

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
Years
So I'm very slowly transfering into the competitive environment, and I was hoping to get some advice on a UU team I made earlier today. I haven't tested it out at all, yet, but it looks pretty decent to me...the typing seems to work nicely, but I know there's a lot more to the competitive environment than not having a team super weak to one type. SO, without further ado, I present my UU team, in no particular order (since I haven't chosen a lead yet =/).

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Adamant natured
(Static ability)
252 Att, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Volt Tackle, Brick Break, Facade, Feint

Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm natured
(Pressure ability)
252 SDf, 252 HP, 6 Def/SAt
Roost, Ice Beam, Toxic, Roar

Donphan @ Rocky Helmet
Impish natured
(Sturdy ability)
252 Def, 252 HP, 6 Att
Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, Iron Defense, Earthquake

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Modest natured
(Magic Guard ability)
252 Sat, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Psychic, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, HP(Rock)

Blastoise @ Shell Bell
Modest natured
(Torrent ability)
252 Def, 252 SDf, 6 SAt
Iron Defense, Flash Cannon, Surf, Signal Beam

Bisharp @ Focus Sash/Muscle Band
Adamant natured
(Inner Focus ability)
252 Att, 252 Def, 6 HP
Sucker Punch, Poision Jab, X-Scissor/Thunderwave, Iron Head

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hi Zhinc! Welcome to competitive battling. 8D

Alright, so there are just a few things I want to tell you off the bat. First of all, you definitely have the right mindset insofar as EV spreads and very generally with movesets, too. However, moves like Iron Defense aren't too good because for example when I see a Donphan out to wall my Rhyperior, I won't be staying in! I'll switch out to a Pokemon like Rotom-Wash forme so that I can smack you with a Hydro Pump, which Iron Defense does nothing to save you from. Donphan is better off running a coverage move to go along with Earthquake rather than Iron Defense so that it can hit stuff like Flying-types. I'd recommend either Stone Edge or Head Smash; either can work. Blastoise would also prefer a different move over Iron Defense.

Pikachu is also, sadly, not very good competitively. Light Ball works to boost its stats but it's really really frail and dies to a lot of things. Even weak STAB (same type attack bonus) moves deal heavy and/or fatal damage to it. I'd much rather use something with a little more bulk so it can actually abuse its attacking prowess. However, if you are dead set on using Pikachu, I'd rather see something like a mixed SubPunch set so you can abuse the fact that Light Ball increases both attacking stats. The set looks something like this:

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Nature: Naive (+Spe -SpD)
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Atk
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Grass Knot
- Focus Punch/Encore

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The only problem with Pikachu is Light Ball is currently unobtainable in Gen V, so you'll have to make do with Zapdos:
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
-Heat Wave/Roar
-Roost
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Pressure

or

-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
-Heat Wave
-Roost
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Articuno's defensive typing is bad. How about having Sigilyph as a status absorber/transferrer?:
-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Psycho Shift
-Roost
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/56 Spe
Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard

I don't think Rocky Helmet should go with Donphan, since it lacks recovery outside of Rest to abuse it:
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake
-Assurance
-Stealth Rock/Ice Shard/Stone Edge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe

You can change up Alakazam's set to this:
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Grass Knot/Calm Mind/Trick
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Magic Guard

Suicune is a lot bulkier than Blastoise is:
-Scald/Surf
-Calm Mind
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

Bisharp is best in the lead slot:
-Stealth Rock/Sucker Punch
-Taunt/Thunder Wave
-Metal Burst
-Brick Break
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Focus Sash

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
Years
Hm, well I guess I won't be able to use this team for a while, then; I started building the team by saying 'I want to use a Pikachu, just for the fun of it', so he's gotta stay. Supposing Light Ball will eventually be released, I'll probably adopt a SubPunch set at that time, like you suggested, since I had been looking at that set for a while but decided to go against it.

Bisharp does look like a pretty solid lead, now that you mention it. I'm not sure exactly which moveset I want to adopt for him yet...

Yeah, I know Articuno's pretty weak to rock and whatnot. Sigilyph might make a nice substitute, but I kinda don't want another psychic type since Alakazam's already there. Are there any other nice Flyers/Levitaters that would fill a a similar role on the team? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe a Weezing, but I don't think it fits the part quite well enough for my liking.

Wow. I completely forgot Suicune was UU this gen. Wow. I'm wondering if I was secretly trying to pick Pokemon I thought might end up in a future NU tier, to be honest, now that I look back on that oversight. But either way, yeah, I'm definately replacing Blastoise with Suicune as a bulky water type. I'm a little iffy on using a RestTalk combo on anyone anymore, since I know sleep mechanics got changed this gen...I'll think on what set I want there, too.

As for Donphan and Alakazam...I'll think on your suggestions, too. I'll put up a fixed team later, once I decide on the new movesets and stuff. In the meantime, I'll take any more suggestions anyone might have. (:

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome, Vrai. =D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
As for a flier/Levitator, and this may seem weird, but how about giving Mandibuzz a shot?:
-Toxic
-Roost
-Whirlwind/Knock Off/Taunt/U-turn
-Brave Bird
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Ability: Overcoat

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
Years
Actually, Mandibuzz looks like a great substitute. Not the exact same role as Articuno, but Suicune's not filling the exact role that Blastoise had, so I think together they'll rebalance the "jobs" I'm kind of assigning to everyone on the team. And that keeps the types balanced a little bit better, since the dual-typing on Mandibuzz and Bisharp give them some different weaknesses.

Alright, so, here's my editted team for when I can have a Light Ball Pikachu (I will probably make another UU team that doesn't rely on him in the coming week, so stay tuned for that thread). I have a couple of questions I've left at the end that I'd like opinions/answers to. Thanks again, guys. (:

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Naive natured
(Static ability)
252 SAt, 252 Spd, 6 Att
Substitute, Thunderbolt, HP (Ice), Focus Punch

Mandibuzz @ ?
Careful natured
(Overcoat ability)
252 HP, 252 SDf, 6 Def
Roost, Toxic, Taunt, Bravebird

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Timid natured
(Magic Guard ability)
252 Sat, 252 Spd, 6 HP
Psychic, Energy Ball/Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, HP (Fighting/Rock)/Focus Blast

Suicune @ Chesto Berry
Bold natured
(Pressure ability)
252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SDf
Calm Mind, Rest, Surf, Icebeam

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Adamant natured
(Inner Focus ability)
252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Def
Sucker Punch, Thunderwave, Metal Burst/Iron Head, Brick Break

Donphan @ ?
Adamant natured
(Sturdy ability)
252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Def/Spd
Stealth Rock, Assurance, Earthquake, Rapid Spin

Item dilema: I don't like repeating items on my team, because I know that I wouldn't be allowed to if I decided to enter an official tournament. Other than leftovers...what will go well on Donphan or Mandibuzz, since only one of them can get Lefties...

For Alakazam: How much more useful is Grass Knot over Energy Ball? Are most of the Pokemon I'm going to want to hit with that heavy enough for Grass Knot to actually be the stronger move?

Also for Alakazam: I can't decide on the final spot. Do you guys think a fighting or a rock type move would be best for the team as a whole? If fighting is the answer, in your opinion, is the lower accuracy on Focus Blast really worth the extra power?

For Bisharp: I looked up how Metal Burst works, and that looks killer. I'm just not sure how to use it effectively. Am I just supposed to use it when the opponent's lead is something I expect to bring me down to my Sash?

Last edited:
Back