Third Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

TrollandToad.com

Old October 7th, 2017 (3:23 PM).
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
And why, if you can give an explanation? :o

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 7th, 2017 (3:42 PM). Edited October 7th, 2017 by Radiating.
プラズマ
  • PokéCommunity Daily
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
Honestly. RSE would be 2nd lowest on my list. It's not that they're bad, it's just that I like better the other games. RSE were pretty good games, don't get me wrong, but it's just that at some aspects they seemed to go backwards. Some examples of this is how they removed animated sprites/day & night. These features were pretty big in GSC, and it was a shame to see them gone in RSE.

I never got to experience FRLG on a real cartridge, so I don't have much of an opinion on these. They're pretty good games though, but it sucks that they didn't re add those GSC features.
Old October 7th, 2017 (3:46 PM). Edited October 7th, 2017 by Melody.
A song³, A feeling³, An experience³ in 3D³
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
The third generation has a special place in my heart.

By bringing Pokemon into the 32bit era, it not only fixed a metric ton of bugs that many players long cursed in the first two gens, it expanded functionality and gameplay SIGNIFICANTLY!

Pokemon contests, Natures, abilities and an overall better battle engine were some of the nice things it bought to the battle experience. Additionally Hoenn's sprawling map was filled with SO many secrets and nooks and corners and crannies that the region just felt far far more expansive than Kanto and Johto was. The very mystical and nature centric nature of Hoenn led to a lot of charm, from the clever puzzles that the mystics hid behind; to the depths of the oceanic half of the map and the secret bases you could find and create and decorate!

Growing up, I adored this game. Emerald saw some major improvements and added the Battle Frontier, which in my opinion was a battle facility done RIGHT! This place made the simple Battle Tower feel well... absolutely basic.The frontier added an entire second layer to Emerald that I deeply enjoyed. It felt almost like a miniature region. Unfortunately we have not seen the likes of such a facility again. Later versions failed to accurately reproduce it, only showcasing a mere shadow of the former glory of the Frontier in OR/AS, Which felt like a rip off.

While the frontier was a grind; I didn't let that bother me, I just equipped my anti-grind system and plowed through it. Even with that Aid, I still spent hundreds of hours in the facility.
|
THEME
Inspired by Nepgear

Old October 7th, 2017 (3:54 PM).
Like a rhythm to the sea
  • Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Third generation to me was ok. Admittedly, I'm pretty biased because the first games I've ever owned were Ruby and Sapphire, so they definitely have a special place in my heart for me. Emerald even more so; I've had more fun with Emerald than I've had with RS combined!

FRLG is where I believe third gen fell flat for me for the most part. I feel like I really wasn't a fan of the fact that you had to catch x amount of Pokemon to make any sort of progress whatsoever. The Sevii Islands were perhaps the best part about FRLG and yet you had to catch 60 fodder Pokemon to even get a chance to explore them. It was really annoying to experience; my only positive memories of these games were repeatedly starting a new game with friends at the time, alongside RSE.

Overall I'd say third gen as of this point is like...my third favourite at the moment? That seems about right.

I'll be chasing waterfalls tonight

Old October 9th, 2017 (5:36 PM). Edited October 9th, 2017 by Bounsweet.
Fruit Pokémon

Very high, if only for the nostalgia. I was like 9-13 when gen III was the gen so it was right in that sweet spot as far as age when kids are old enough to be legit competitive about it but young enough to be unashamed about it, so I have many memories of playing the games with my friends at the time.
    Old October 9th, 2017 (9:25 PM).

Nature: Gentle
      To be honest, while I was never and still am not a very competitive person, my sentiments kinda echo Bounsweet's in that, while I had played Generation I and II games, Generation III hit just as I was reaching an age and level of general competency that I was able to really get into and appreciate such video games on a level I previously couldn't really.

For this reason, Generations III and IV are the ones I have the most fond memories of, and I think Generation III is my favorite of those two, although that's not to say that I found IV bad… as completely and utterly obsolete as Platinum may have rendered Diamond and Pearl, haha~
      Old October 10th, 2017 (5:30 AM).
      Avid Game Lover

Nature: Naughty
        Gen 3 games were the first ones I ever owned.
        FireRed and then Ruby were the first two games I ever played of Pokemon.

So yeah, it is rightfully my introduction to Pokemon Gaming overall, before which all I did was buy cards and put them in Albums ( had over 500 cards at a point )

Those two games led me to buy a DS, then play Platinum, then Black and then White 2.
        It also led to the purchase of a 3DS, on which I have played X, Alpha Sapphire and then Sun.

The funniest part? I still play Emerald and FireRed, the original games, from time to time. Nuzlocke is especially fun as a challenge.

So yeah, they come in First.
        Old October 10th, 2017 (9:56 PM). Edited October 10th, 2017 by Link119.
        The Self-Proclaimed King

Nature: Jolly
          III is my least opinionated set, I don't have strong emotions for or against it...

I'm grateful for what it's done to the pokemon universe, no doubt!...

Thing is, Gen. I was my first game, Gen. II was my first sequel and favorite for a very long time, III didn't really impact me very much, IV got me back into pokemon and into the competitive scene, V was the first one I was active in the competitive scene..

III didn't have any sort of major milestone that was personal to me...

Currently looking for: Sawsbuck...

Old October 13th, 2017 (6:20 PM). Edited October 13th, 2017 by Petuuuhhh.
          Team Salamence
          • Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
          It's my favorite generation. Pokemon Sapphire is my favorite game. I loved the Kyogre plot, the music, the diving, and the cave building and cave battle features. :D

Favorite Pokemon list http://bit.ly/2iW9yvh

Team Salamence is looking for talented and original ROM hackers, check us out at bit.ly/teamhaxorus!
          Old October 13th, 2017 (8:15 PM). Edited October 13th, 2017 by TheUncreativeSawsbuckFan.
          Definitely something
          • Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
          Definitely my all time favorite, but maybe that's because I've played the crap out of Emerald and Omega Ruby. Emerald was also my introduction to Pokémon
          Flaunt your personality"
          Old October 13th, 2017 (8:18 PM).
          To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy

Nature: Lax
            Pokemon's third gen is my MOST favorite out of all of the other gens

Gen 3 was the first generation of Pokemon I played, after which I proceeded to do Generations 1-6. Not only did it do a major good job in the graphics department, but it also somewhat started the competitiveness of the Pokemon Franchise. When it came out with Contests, it felt like it gave players an actual "side quest", rather than just the normal "Beat the Elite Four and the post-game stuff".

It places 1st, because it still is the first Pokemon game that I ever played, and I really enjoy playing it over and over again~
            Old October 14th, 2017 (7:20 AM).
            The Scribbliest Gryphon

Nature: Timid
              Gen 3 (specifically Ruby) is the first Pokémon experience I ever had and it's what got me so firmly hooked into the series as a whole~ I didn't finish it for the longest time because I was more focused on the story than actually prepping my team for the E4 but when I did it was just, magical~
              It's my favourite generation, beating out gen 2 and gen 4 which are kind of equal in my rankings.
              Old October 15th, 2017 (10:28 PM).

Nature: Modest
                RSE, especially Emerald, are on the top of my list. I can't even explain how impressive and beautiful the Pokemon designs of this generation are. It's the generation where most of my favorite Pokemon were introduced. I also love the idea of Battle Frontier, it is challenging and as a kid at the time of release I spent countless hours playing competitively, and I really wish they put it back in coming generations.
                Old October 16th, 2017 (10:12 PM). Edited October 16th, 2017 by Meyneth.
                • Crystal Tier

Ruby and Sapphire are my least favourite titles, after Sun/Moon and Black/White. Coming off Gen II they were such a horrendous downgrade, being smaller in scale, having the worst music in the franchise to date, and having a lot of new Pokemon I just didn't like. They came out during the period Pokemon was extremely unpopular in my area though, so that might have had something to do with it.

Emerald, however, is my favourite Pokemon core title after Gen IV. Emerald was what we should have had the first time, as it offered a wonderfully complete experience with both evil teams, as well as some nice postgame in the Battle Frontier. Although the music was still absolutely bloody diabolical.

Fire Red and Leaf Green felt like they came a little too soon to me, and they didn't offer much in the way of differences. It was nice to play through them again, but I didn't go too much on them.
                Old 4 Weeks Ago (5:24 PM).
                All Hail Shadow

It's my favorite generation, and I love pretty much everything about it.
                  The region, the new Pokemon themselves, the story especially in the 3rd version where it worked better imo, and it was the most enjoyable gen of the series so far for me honestly. I've spent more hours in these games then any other Pokemon games. Only games I really kept the sound on as well for the most part. I liked Hoenn enough to completely finish the Pokedex in each game via trading with myself so...that has to say something xP
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:31 PM).
                  Lurking in the shadows

Nature: Relaxed
                    I look back on Ruby/Sapphire very fondly. I enjoyed playing and all the new pokemon. These were released when I was in high school so while a few people played, the interest in pokemon was on a downward slide which continued until Pokemon Go.
                    Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:28 AM).
                    • Super Moderator
                    • Platinum Tier
                    • Discord Moderoid

Nature: Naive
                    There are many things about the 3rd gen games I dislike, such as the disappearance of the day/night and weekday system that made the world in gen 2 feel more alive. But I can't deny that playing through Hoenn in Ruby was some of the most fun adventures I've had. I like the region Hoenn more than I like 3rd gen as games I think.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:17 PM).

its my favorite generation since ruby was my forst pokemon game and so glad that in gen 6 they remaked ORAS so played it again and felt nostalgic
                      Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:55 PM).
                      Always striving for greatness
                      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
                      3rd Gen games are certainly high up there for me. They didn't have the same impact on me as Gen2 games did, but I loved my many adventures through Hoenn in Sapphire and Emerald. I was playing these games before becoming a teenager, so the memories I've made playing through them in different ways are golden.
                      Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:07 AM).
                      "Someday, I will..."

Nature: Adamant
                        Emerald is one of my favorite games. It's where I first learned to RNG. It's super easy to RNG in too, but tough to get good spreads unless you know what youre doing and have the time to spend doing it. Storywise for me it's a little meh, but still a classic and deserves a play. I wish they'd have taken the opportunity to re-release some of the original Emerald event items when they did ORAS.
                        Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:58 AM).
                        • Platinum Tier
                        • PokéCommunity Daily
                        • Discord Moderoid
                        • Developer

Nature: Quirky

Around second or tied for first with Gen 5 at times - I'm indecisive. Plot-wise, Gen 3 is before a lot of my issues with the Pokémon games started creeping in - the repetitive copy-and-pasted legendary hunting evil team is a big one. Gen 3 also gives you a ton of freedom to explore at your own pace instead of cramming cutscenes down your throat.

Hoenn is, in my opinion, when Game Freak started putting actual effort into the region design - Johto has a few interesting towns with a bit of backstory to them, but it took until Ruby & Sapphire to start creating some truly unique and inventive areas.

Quick Reply