• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Get Together 2010 Small Writing Contest

Bay

Years
smallwritingcontest.png

Introduction

Hello, and welcome to the 2010 Get Together Small Writing Contest! This is your host judge, Bay Alexison! Last writing contest we had quite a lot of entrants, so it was a great turnout. Hopefully this year's writing contest will have a lot of entrants too. ^^

Hosts and Judges

The hosts for this contest are making sure that everything is going fine and to keep it running. They are allowed to enter this contest. The judges will be looking at the entries, so they're not allowed to participate in this contest. If a host is one of the judges, they're not allowed to enter.

Hosts: Astinus (Mod Supervisor), Bay Alexison, Zeffy, Kishijoten and Fuyu
Judges: Bay Alexison, Zeffy, Fuyu, Kishijoten

Prompt: "Challenge"

For this contest, the prompt will be Challenge.

What can you do with this prompt? It can be your trainer facing an obstacle, a Pokemon battle, a mystery, etc. Let's see how you guys interpret this prompt!

The Rules

1. The Fanfic Rules and PC rules apply for this contest.
2. You can either do a one shot or poem for this contest. However, it's better if you do a one shot because poems are harder to pull off right.
3. Please, don't enter a half finished/fully written chaptered fic. This is a "small" writing contest after all. :P
4. It can be either Pokemon or original. Entries that is about another fandom (Naruto for instance) aren't allowed due to the judges not going to be familiar with other fandoms.
5. Stories has to be completely new. No using an old story.
6. Don't post your stories at PC or anywhere else until the contest is over (until the results come).

Sending the Entries

Send your entries to me, Bay Alexison, through PM. Under the subject line write: "SWC 2010: Challenge." In the PM put the title of your story and the whole story too. After that, I'll send the entries to the judges as soon as possible.

The Scoring

The entries will be scored in the following three sections:

-Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation (10)
The basics to see if there's not too many grammar mistakes and typos.

-Overall Writing Style (10)
How engaging is your writing. Descriptions, emotions, and pretty much how well you used words will take into consideration.

-Story/How Well It Fits the Prompt (10)
Overall story and how well it fits the prompt.

Total Score: 30

The winner for this contest will be the entrant that has the highest total score combined from the judges.

Prizes

First and second place winners will have these emblems (courtesy of me :P)

firstplace.png

Small Writing Contest Winner

secondplace.png

Small Writing Contest Runner-Up

Deadline

The tentative date and time until the entries are due will be August 16, 2010 11:59pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Time). It's subject to change anytime, but until further notice the entries have to come during that time.

Conclusion

I think this covers it for this contest. If you guys have any questions, let me know!

Entrants

Ωmega
Jacqulilove
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Haruka of Hoenn
pieguy259
Giratina ♀
[.εternity]
trebornosliw
Bluerang1
Shrike Flamestar
moonlight kitsune of the night sky
Yuukihime
Masquerainisthajam
icomeanon6
Hitoshizuku
Jin-Roh

Last edited:

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
However, it's better if you do a one shot because poems are harder to pull off right.

Do you just mean that writing a poem in four days isn't recommended but they can still be entered? Because I'm usually good at writing on-the-spot poems and plan on entering one ^^

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Do you just mean that writing a poem in four days isn't recommended but they can still be entered? Because I'm usually good at writing on-the-spot poems and plan on entering one ^^
Well if you're good at it, there's nothing stopping you I'd imagine. =p
I'm assuming that a "one shot" is writing talk for a short piece of prose?
Basically - means a story with no chapters essentially - the whole tale is given in one go - a one-shot. *lame explanation* There can be such things as long one-shots, mind. XD

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So can it be an original idea or a fanfic based off a existing story/idea?
Up to the hosts but I'd imagine that both would be fine - as long as it has to do with the prompt and isn't chaptered. =p But might want to wait for them.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Didn't know if I'd be able to participate because I thought I was going away with my friend for a couple of days, but that's been called off so you can rest assured I'll hand something in.

Really liking the prompt as well; thought of something outside the box for it.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
So can it be an original idea or a fanfic based off a existing story/idea?
As long as it has any relationship with the prompt, then I think yes.

Anyways, I'm going to judge so put me on the list! :D

Mira

restless spirit
Years
Oh dear... I can't write short stories to save my life... May as well try, eh?

What is the approximate word count range for a one-shot?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
To be honest it can vary... I've seen anything from a page to 40-50 pages long. =p They do tend to be on the shorter end though.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
What is the approximate word count range for a one-shot?
It depends 100% on how many words you need to tell your story. I know that doesn't sound very helpful, but it's true. It doesn't matter how long or short your story is, just whether you say what you need to say and can write it in four days.

I'm anticipating a danged good competition here. Last year, as I recall, it was really neck-and-neck for the top places.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Ah yes, the SWC. Been waiting for this for a whole year now. I hope my Internet doesn't die on me when I send it in. Anyway, you can count me in.

Really liking the prompt this year. :3

Kleinchen

boldly going
Years
  • Age 31
  • CA
  • Seen Jun 4, 2013
Wait, so -- it can be about anything? Because I participated last year and I remember that it -had- to be Pokemon-based, so I'm a little thrown off now. So the rules have changed in that respect?

Bay

Years
Okay, going to answer the questions here real quick because my internet is being unstable at the moment. D:

1. One Shots are pretty much a piece in one go and not chaptered, as bobandbill said. I don't mind long one shots, but as long as the story isn't a chaptered fic you should be good.

2. Even though I believe poems are harder to pull off, if you can do one I'm fine with that. So yeah, poems are allowed.

3. This year the stories can be Pokemon or original because of how the Pokemon fanfic and non-Pokemon fanfic sections merged together (though I think those two sections got merged sometime early last year XD). Not everyone can write a Pokemon fic so if that's the case they can go for original. However, I don't want fanfics from another fandom (Naruto, One Piece, etc.) because the judges might not be familar with other fandoms, so it's best to stick with Pokemon or original.

Edit: Just real quick, edit in the rules (mentioning Pokemon and original fics are allowed) and the judges (Zeffy and Fuyu).

Last edited:

Jin-Roh

VGC or Bust.
Years
3 days to write a short story?

i'm in. time to crack out the old knuckle grease and get to clackin the keys.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Fortunately, I have a few plot bunnies that will work for this. So it's just a simple matter of writing the story, and more importantly typing the thing, which is my least favorite part.

Good luck to everyone! I'm looking forward to seeing much activity the stories in my section when this is over.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
uh-oh astinus is judging?
I don't think he will like the story I'm entering...

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
uh-oh astinus is judging?
I don't think he will like the story I'm entering...
Asty isn't judging this time. She's going to be a participant (key word 'she,' by the way...).

One more thing to consider: If Astinus wouldn't like the story you're entering, there's a chance the judges might not either. Unless your story is entitled "The Downfall of Astinus the Evil Witch" or something. Whatever the case may be, you don't have to worry about Astinus judging your story harshly; that's what the other folks are for.

Back