• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] PS: Fated Epistle - Episode 2

Can you run newer fangames? If not, do you have a smartphone?

• I CANT't run newer fangames and I DON'T have a smartphone

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I can run new fangames/ do have a smartphone

Votes: 24 92.3%

• Total voters

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Hallo, first of all this game is one of the best fangame i have ever played why you ask. i am plot>everything else kinda of guy and the plot of this game is just wow 10/10 would smash.
but i admit its kinda of confusing and hard but whatever lets get to the point, i am in the currently in the village after route 1 (i forgot what it was named nepal or something like that idk) anyways and i dont know what to do next (i already walked to those peeps and had like 45 hours long conversation. pls help me out
(btw sorry for my bad english my teeth hurts.)

Hello, thank you very much for your kind words, we're really glad you like it!
To get out of that predicament, find a house that has a LOT of bookcases.
There is a bookcase that looks slightly different than the others.
Interact with that to proceed.

Also, now is where the plot really kicks in ;P
There's a reason that the game is confusing during the first few hours - after you're done with the episode, we may discuss the details on that.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2018
stuck tried to load save file spawned in the same place again lol i am having the best day ever

i mean its ok i will restart my save file i guess
Gr8 plot once again i like how the mc developed from a loser into an interesting character.

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
stuck tried to load save file spawned in the same place again lol i am having the best day ever
i mean its ok i will restart my save file i guess
Gr8 plot once again i like how the mc developed from a loser into an interesting character.

Please send me your savefile in a PM, including details on how you got stuck, and I'll fix it.
Also please remove the image, it's quite..spoilery in nature.
Also please tell me whether you had saved while having the speed-up button activated
Your save file is located in Username\Saved Games

EDIT: Version 3.4.0 is out, game now cannot be saved while sped up (just in case), minor tile fixes, minor npc fixes. Instant text speed option for those who need to replay/go faaaast.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I found this game to be really good ,but i am stuck righ now.I save the girl in the unversity and defeat the gangs ,but i dont know how go to the south part of the city,the cops keep saying that i am not strong enought.If someone could help me please(sorry for my bad english,i am a spaniard)

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I found this game to be really good ,but i am stuck righ now.I save the girl in the unversity and defeat the gangs ,but i dont know how go to the south part of the city,the cops keep saying that i am not strong enought.If someone could help me please(sorry for my bad english,i am a spaniard)

Hello, you need to:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Thank you,i managed to finally cross the chekpoint and right know the boss of the blue gang is kicking my ass .I just cant beat him

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Thank you,i managed to finally cross the chekpoint and right know the boss of the blue gang is kicking my ass .I just cant beat him

There are 3 ways to approach this:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I finally beat him(that was hard) and right now i have to infiltrate the smulluger gang,lets hope i doent take to long to find the costume(i have no idea where to look for it Xd)

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I finally beat him(that was hard) and right now i have to infiltrate the smulluger gang,lets hope i doent take to long to find the costume(i have no idea where to look for it Xd)

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Its official.i hate that revive guy whit all my heart.How many times i have to defeat him(i can only defeat him once and he leave me almost dead)

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Its official.i hate that guy whit all my heart.

Please use a spolier tag!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
uhh, im confused. im trying to figure out how you deliver the smelly package, so idk what to do

Hello, please:
Spoiler:

Years
in disguise mission in northern part after talking to mom on phone the screen suddenly becomes big and cannot move forward

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 26, 2020
Thanks for the game, i really loved it, with only 3 episodes the game is already in my top 4 pokemon fangames: reborn, rejuvenation, desolation, and now Postscriptum (ps: in no particular order).

I thought I would only have a top 3 in fangames but after playing this game I feel compelled to create a top 4 lol

You've created something incredible here, feel proud about it.

Looking foward for episode 4!

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
Years
This is overall quite ambitious and has some interesting themes and some good dialogue.
It's graphically impressive and has an excellent plot so far and some good characters.

A few criticisms.

A lot of NPC's feel like they're there to be there. When I started this game I spent two hours wandering the city and while some NPCs had something valuable to say a lot of them were no better than the stuff in normal Pokemon games. Your map is intriguing to explore and once in a while I do feel rewarded.
I feel like maybe the fat should be trimmed a bit? You really can spend the first two hours hearing nonsense from a good number of npcs that adds nothing to the lore.

Spoiler:

To elaborate further on the combat...

You've got this kind of scale where on one hand most fights are mindless, give poor exp, but are essentially a waste of time and then you've got one shotting bosses that require very specific strategies and luck OR lots and lots and lots of grinding where the typical exp gain is about 40-113.
It makes sense for the plot but there needs to be some room made for game play balance in your design.
I found the fights in the orphanage and the Old School extremely dull. (Except for the level 22 Hippopotas which was a reasonable challenge imo) it was like being forced to fight level 2 Zubat over and over and over and over. The boss at the end of the Orphanage I also found a reasonable challenge that could be overcome with a little strategy.

Most of the battles are mind numbing though. This goes back to trimming the fat though. I really think you just ought to trim down the sheer numbers of NPC's. Make more unique characters and less fodder. It will make your excellent plot and dialogue shine all the more because there will be less white noise.

I'm rambling. The point is and let's use the Old Schoolhouse as the example again. Was there a reason for each and every one of those battles? If so what was your reasoning?

My main point here is that, you yourself say most of the battles are easy. If they don't serve as an obstacle, if they're just a time waster, then cut them down in sheer number.

I feel like you could probably save a lot of development time and simultaneously make your game better if when you make a character want to battle they have a defined purpose for doing so.
If they exist, they have a reason to do so rather than saying. "Hi. I'm blocking the fridge."

Your world is so rich for lore, philosophy, character interaction. It's your strength here quite honestly. Cut down on the noise. It'll smash your workload down and yet your game will be better instead of worse because every character you place will have a real purpose. Whether that purpose is to give some philosophy, build the world, share some lore, or yes, indeed. Battle you but for a good reason.

As it is now, there's a real gem in here, no lying but it's a little bogged down by an odd difficulty curve and a lot of fluff that doesn't need to be there.

I'm sure I'll beat that boss eventually but I'm not enjoying that part. I really feel like the deck is seriously stacked against me and that I have the tools but they're rusty tools, they COULD work but it's not going to be easy to make them work. I say that having beaten fan games like Pokemon Insurgence and RocketRising. Both games that are difficult but fair. Once again I realize that doesn't necessarily fit with the overall themes and plot but there's no need to go quite that far in that particular case. First form mons with good abilities and moves are far more than enough challenge.

That's my opinion anyways. I hope you don't feel like I hate the game, I really don't I really am enjoying the bulk of it, you've done a great job. Just, your Mareep has a little too much wool y'know? Maybe give it a trim and make sure it's nice and focused.

I wouldn't levy the fluff criticism at most fangames but that's because they tend to focus on battles. Your game is very character/story heavy so unnecessary battles, unnecessary dialogue and NPCs, and just general time wasting should be cut down as much as possible.

Last edited:

AenaonDusky

DeliveryBoy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Hello everyone, I've been a bit busy lately (that and I'm on vacation atm, kinda :P ).
Sorry for the late reply!

in disguise mission in northern part after talking to mom on phone the screen suddenly becomes big and cannot move forward

The screen is indeed supposed to change size (since this kinda circumvents an "engine" bug). If the text shows as intended (meaning you can see the textbox and press the action button to read the next sentence normally) then there's not really a problem. It's where the episode is supposed to end after displaying some credit messages etc.

Thanks for the game, i really loved it, with only 3 episodes the game is already in my top 4 pokemon fangames: reborn, rejuvenation, desolation, and now Postscriptum (ps: in no particular order).
I thought I would only have a top 3 in fangames but after playing this game I feel compelled to create a top 4 lol
You've created something incredible here, feel proud about it.
Looking foward for episode 4!

Thank you for your kind words! We're flattered!
PS is undeserving of even the slightest comparison to the aforementioned big names, though! But we're doing our best to make it as good as it can be.

This is overall quite ambitious and has some interesting themes and some good dialogue.
It's graphically impressive and has an excellent plot so far and some good characters.

A few criticisms.

This is the kind of review that the dev team likes the most, so please don't be reluctant to express your criticism. (It also goes without saying that there's not even a hint of "hating the game" in what you've written, so no need to apologize at all!) Progress cannot take place without criticism, no?

Before delving into the finer points - It seems you're stuck on the Blue Boss fight, so my reply will be structured based on this assumption.
The implementation of 'difficulty' in this game is a bit different. You have already pinpointed an example of that: "one shotting bosses that require very specific strategies and luck OR lots and lots and lots of grinding". While there are indeed story-design related reasons for this predicament as well, there's also one gameplay-specific reason: to accommodate for different playstyles. Some prefer grinding to strategy. Others strategy to grinding. Others prefer rewards for exploring (which are not actually available at the stage of the game you're currently in). Is this executed properly? Probably not, and therein lies the struggle from a developer standpoint - how to simultaneously cover these bases while staying true to the design philosophy of the game.

Speaking of the latter, there's three main reasons for the current difficulty curve mess, which is, in part, desired:
Spoiler:

Now let's take a look at these:
"A lot of NPC's feel like they're there to be there."
"When I started this game I spent two hours wandering the city"
"while some NPCs had something valuable to say a lot of them were no better than the stuff in normal Pokemon games"
"You really can spend the first two hours hearing nonsense from a good number of npcs"
"I'm sure I'll beat that boss eventually but I'm not enjoying that part. I really feel like the deck is seriously stacked against me and that I have the tools but they're rusty tools, they COULD work but it's not going to be easy to make them work."
"like being forced to fight level 2 Zubat over and over and over and over"

All of these are not only valid criticisms, but expected reactions as well. Actually they're very much in line with what the MC feels (whom you are supposed to empathize with). It's vital to the game for certain types of annoyingness and frustration to stay as is, however.

As for these:
"I got stuck with whatever nature" - Well, time to start playing like the old times, without worrying about natures right? It's not like the battling system in this game is expecting you to take that into consideration when you fight - you already know this.
"when you make a character want to battle they have a defined purpose for doing so." - That would be good game design. However at this point, we are forced to avoid that.
"and yet your game will be better instead of worse because every character you place will have a real purpose" - Interesting. So do nameless NPCs serve no particular purpose? Do they need some kind of "special" characteristic (wink wink) to have a right to exist? (No, I'm not making this stuff up, it's not as if there's something deep here, but this is integral to the themes of the game)

Now, about the purpose of the story and the design in general- it's really difficult to find the right balance between obeying the design/story/narration approach and applying that into a properly designed gameplay experience (they're ...antithetical in this game). However trimming the fat, as you said, is what definitely needs to be done. We're constantly working on improving this relationship. It's thanks to feedback like yours actually. The same happened with the atrociously unbearable vernacular (which was even worse before the current version) which just had to be toned down. The next version will be even better both in that regard and in some presentation/design areas such as the ones you've mentioned here.
Spoiler:

The Orphanage example you mentioned -
Spoiler:

And that's all I can say for now. Another review would be great after you're done with the episode! That way we will have more information about your experience as a whole (and a point of comparison to your previous assesment of the game).

I'm curious though, where exactly is that "philosophy" you mentioned?
The game doesn't have anything to do with that!

The next update (not episode) will be out in about a month. Until then I won't be able to reply 'cause Internet access is a pain where I currently am.
Thank you for your interest in the game!

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
Years
This is the kind of review that the dev team likes the most, so please don't be reluctant to express your criticism. (It also goes without saying that there's not even a hint of "hating the game" in what you've written, so no need to apologize at all!) Progress cannot take place without criticism, no?

Before delving into the finer points - It seems you're stuck on the Blue Boss fight, so my reply will be structured based on this assumption.
The implementation of 'difficulty' in this game is a bit different. You have already pinpointed an example of that: "one shotting bosses that require very specific strategies and luck OR lots and lots and lots of grinding". While there are indeed story-design related reasons for this predicament as well, there's also one gameplay-specific reason: to accommodate for different playstyles. Some prefer grinding to strategy. Others strategy to grinding. Others prefer rewards for exploring (which are not actually available at the stage of the game you're currently in). Is this executed properly? Probably not, and therein lies the struggle from a developer standpoint - how to simultaneously cover these bases while staying true to the design philosophy of the game.

I chose not to get ice ball. Ice shard is useful for priority, I kept peck to defend against possible fighting types. Then I have spikes and yawn.

Spoiler:

Maybe it might be a good idea to add in a Slurpuff or a Snubbull available sometime before it. Both of which aren't incredibly strong mons but would be great for the fight and not overly trivialize it as Tentacruel can threaten with poison and is faster. Yes as a reward for exploring.

Speaking of the latter, there's three main reasons for the current difficulty curve mess, which is, in part, desired:
Spoiler:

I feel you. I knew there were reasons for it.
Spoiler:

Now let's take a look at these:
"A lot of NPC's feel like they're there to be there."
"When I started this game I spent two hours wandering the city"
"while some NPCs had something valuable to say a lot of them were no better than the stuff in normal Pokemon games"
"You really can spend the first two hours hearing nonsense from a good number of npcs"
"I'm sure I'll beat that boss eventually but I'm not enjoying that part. I really feel like the deck is seriously stacked against me and that I have the tools but they're rusty tools, they COULD work but it's not going to be easy to make them work."
"like being forced to fight level 2 Zubat over and over and over and over"

All of these are not only valid criticisms, but expected reactions as well. Actually they're very much in line with what the MC feels (whom you are supposed to empathize with). It's vital to the game for certain types of annoyingness and frustration to stay as is, however.

As for these:
"I got stuck with whatever nature" - Well, time to start playing like the old times, without worrying about natures right? It's not like the battling system in this game is expecting you to take that into consideration when you fight - you already know this.
"when you make a character want to battle they have a defined purpose for doing so." - That would be good game design. However at this point, we are forced to avoid that.
"and yet your game will be better instead of worse because every character you place will have a real purpose" - Interesting. So do nameless NPCs serve no particular purpose? Do they need some kind of "special" characteristic (wink wink) to have a right to exist? (No, I'm not making this stuff up, it's not as if there's something deep here, but this is integral to the themes of the game)

It's a little harder to play not worrying about natures when they're there cutting stats down by 10%. If natures weren't in the game at all fine but they're there and they have an effect.
The battle system may not be expecting me to take that into account but when you reach certain fights and you've exhausted all your options, you're going to think... man maybe if I had the right nature...
Perhaps you could make it a non issue by all natures in the game being Docile/Hardy/Serious/Bashful/Quirky.

They don't need a special characteristic to have a right to exist no, but when you have various apartments with about 15-20 NPCs each. Well.. I'm an avid explorer. I prefer to figure stuff out myself if possible. It can feel really tedious to hear the umpteenth NPC not say anything enriching to the experience though. I'm not saying every NPC has to be like that. I certainly feel that there are too much of those fluff NPC's right now though. That's my opinion on it anyways.

Now, about the purpose of the story and the design in general- it's really difficult to find the right balance between obeying the design/story/narration approach and applying that into a properly designed gameplay experience (they're ...antithetical in this game). However trimming the fat, as you said, is what definitely needs to be done. We're constantly working on improving this relationship. It's thanks to feedback like yours actually. The same happened with the atrociously unbearable vernacular (which was even worse before the current version) which just had to be toned down. The next version will be even better both in that regard and in some presentation/design areas such as the ones you've mentioned here.
Spoiler:

Right I'll certainly continue to point out those bits.

The Orphanage example you mentioned -
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And that's all I can say for now. Another review would be great after you're done with the episode! That way we will have more information about your experience as a whole (and a point of comparison to your previous assesment of the game).

I'm curious though, where exactly is that "philosophy" you mentioned?
The game doesn't have anything to do with that!

There's lots of philosophy. A lot of the NPC's are discussing their reasons for continuing to exist despite everything seeming hopeless. Whether it's past memories and bonds, a strong fighting spirit, or a desire to be better than their past selves.

That's philosophy. It's not a GAME philosophy of course. I'm saying philosophical discussions are a big part of this game.

Yes I'll be sure to share my thoughts at that point~

The next update (not episode) will be out in about a month. Until then I won't be able to reply 'cause Internet access is a pain where I currently am.
Thank you for your interest in the game!

Understood~

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen May 10, 2020
AenaonDusky 17) Go down, find (half) a bench somewhere there, enter manhole. Where is the bench?

Last edited:
Back