• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Out of the loop for several months, how far has the decomp support come and is it any easier to install

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
I think I'm finally ready to take the leap into joining the emerald decomp masterrace. The last time I tried I was not able to because the installation process was more cryptic than a puzzle wrapped in an enigma express mailed to Mystery, Alaska.

I remember a few months ago reading that they were working on moving off of pacman/devkit to simplify the installation process. Has this happened yet? Is there a more modern tutorial that is confirmed to work with the current pret decomp?

Also, what tools and resources are there to support the decomps. Binary hacking has lots of great resources that you really can't live without like JPAN's overworld count hack or dynamic overworld palletes. I don't really want to bother with switching over if the decomps turn out to be featureless compared to what I'm already on, yknow? I'm pretty sure theres a decomp map editor but what about a script editor? What other resources are there to incentivize me to switch over. Because I really want to use the decomps but I'm afraid I'll get stuck with something that does nothing but limit me.

Also, are there any huge decomp breakthroughs for someone who hasn't been around since September? How's FireRed decomps working? And what about sappy for decomps?

Thanks for catching me up and listening to my rant lol

Edit: it seems that windows has a tools update I'll just run make through my parallels VM :) So much easier

Last edited:

Delta231

A noob
Years
There are some tutorials made by Avara recently on the forum. You can use porymap for map editing and a text editor for script editing. Decompilations is 10x better than binary hacking as Decomp are the source code of the game where everything is located i.e. functions, gfx , music etc. You just need to know C and some strong understanding of GBA limitations(IRAM, ERAM, OAM, RAM etc).

Back