• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I've been busier than I thought I'd be as of late. If I don't update things that frequently or don't reply to messages, it's because I've needed to put my attention and thoughts towards other things. Sorry about that, everyone!

I'm sure you've already said something about it but I'm too lazy to check, so is there a day/night system in this hack? If not, is there a compatible patch that'll work with it?
Nope. Outside of Eeveelutions, day/night would be a cosmetic-only change.

The RTC system I use in my hack is the one ShinyQuagsire modified. If you want to implement day/night into the hack, you'd need to use the coinciding implementation SQ made. That, or strip out the RTC system in place and use an alternative RTC/day-and-night solution.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
So, is there an easy way to apply the day/night cycle thing over your hack?
If you want me to be honest... not exactly. At least not for those who don't know how to assemble the source code for Wizard-DN.

It'd be easier to remove the current RTC code and then implement both the RTC and DNS solution from this tool.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Thanks for the help. Any tutorials on how to use that?
To use the Day, Night and Seasons tool's solution to day, night, and seasons with Throwback:

1. Apply the patches you want to use. If you apply either the Catch 'em All patch or the full Throwback patch, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 3.
  2. Open the patched ROM in a hex editor and replace the sixteen bytes starting at offset 0x0004B0 with the original bytes in the vanilla ROM:

Code:
    00 B5 0A F0 61 FE 00 06 00 28 01 D1 00 F0 28 F8
  3. Open the edited ROM in the DNS tool and insert the parts you want to use. The tool is pretty self-explanatory.

Years
Alright, thanks. I'll attempt this soon. I'm going on somewhat of a Pokemon marathon but I've always felt like FRLG is a bit unpolished so I love the idea of this hack. Also, I'm sorry to bother, but I have two more questions.

1) Is it possible to apply difficulty hacks or anything like that to this?
2) What happened to that cool title screen with Charizard and Venusaur that was in earlier versions of the game?

Edit: I tried what you said and it works perfectly through the intro with Professor Oak, but the game freezes at a black screen when the overworld should load.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Alright, thanks. I'll attempt this soon. I'm going on somewhat of a Pokemon marathon but I've always felt like FRLG is a bit unpolished so I love the idea of this hack. Also, I'm sorry to bother, but I have two more questions.

1) Is it possible to apply difficulty hacks or anything like that to this?
2) What happened to that cool title screen with Charizard and Venusaur that was in earlier versions of the game?

Edit: I tried what you said and it works perfectly through the intro with Professor Oak, but the game freezes at a black screen when the overworld should load.
Huh. That doesn't sound good.

The old title screen felt congested and off to me. Having both Venusaur and Charizard on there with only the Charizard cry playing didn't seem right. There's nothing I could do to make both cries play without ASM hacking. Further, I found the background changes to be immature. The backdrop, borders, and flames color changes feel like what a little kid's first title screen hack change would be like, and that rubbed me the wrong way.

Would you be okay with me sending you a modified version of the Catch 'em All patch that doesn't have any Day/Night stuff in it?

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Hello! Is there any possibility of you giving us a link of the "catch em all" patch, but without the title screen changed?
I have a Fire Red Brazilian translation, which crashes everytime with, espcifically, the catch em all patch.
I think it must be because of the change of the title screen (since the brazilian version has an altered one too)
I hope you can help me.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
By modified, do you mean with a difficulty hack or the hex editing stuff? Also, I'm using the full Throwback patch.

I've got something for you. Check your PMs.
Hello! Is there any possibility of you giving us a link of the "catch em all" patch, but without the title screen changed?
I have a Fire Red Brazilian translation, which crashes everytime with, espcifically, the catch em all patch.
I think it must be because of the change of the title screen (since the brazilian version has an altered one too)
I hope you can help me.
I made an extra patch that'll restore the default title screen for people using my hack. It was originally for a single use-case, but I guess it can be helpful for people to use in general.

1. Apply the main patch, or the individual patches you want.
  2. Apply this title screen reversion patch.
  3. Apply the Brazilian translation you're using.
This should fix the issue you're having.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Oh sorry I figured out that you posted screenshots. This has to do with my country cancelling imgur.
Based on that and your username, I'm guessing you live in Turkey? I just looked up "Imgur country ban" on Google and the first link mentioned that country banning it.

I'm really sorry to hear that. That's just an asinine thing to do. It's made me wary of posting anything else on there for the purposes of my hack. People all over the world seem to be finding their way to this hack. Because of that, I think it's important that I utilize an image hosting site that's available to all people with access to decent Internet.

I'll see if I can't get all the screenshots in the OP reuploaded elsewhere in the next week or so.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Dec 30, 2017
Thank you for all the work you've done with this. It is exactly the Pokemon game I've been wanting to play. Any news on the location list you mentioned earlier this year?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Does the game still block trading/evolving Eggs or Pok?mon not considered part of the Kanto Pok?dex before you beat the Elite Four? Last time I played this, I remember trying to trade myself a Surfing Pichu Egg from the Extras file and I couldn't. I also couldn't use the Teleporter in Bill's Cottage to evolve an Onix holding a Metal Coat.

The game is good, but I want to know what I can and can't evolve/use before I start playing again.

Edit: I still could not trade myself a Pichu Egg at the beginning of the game, which is where I wanted to use it. I assume I also won't be able to evolve Golbat into Crobat (Zubat/Golbat can't learn Fly in Gen 3, but Crobat can) or Onix into Steelix before beating the Elite Four.

Last edited:
Back