Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Old December 5th, 2017 (11:32 AM). Edited December 5th, 2017 by Mega Swadloon.
Swadloon Trainer

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post

you can climb the walls and walk on top of them, and jump from wall top to wall top

you can also climb up and down 2 block vines

the right way to enter the temple is through the hole on the roof by climbing down that vine, because the regular entrance is blocked by rubble (inside)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh
    I don't see any problems with that map at all. As long as you have the map connections figured out. It's beautiful!

Here's a map I'm working on. Still in progress. It's a new take on Celadon City. I hate how the towns in Pokémon are hardly towns, just a few houses, a PC and a store. So my goal is to make Celadon City, but also make it with enough houses so that it's realistic AND make it so you can go inside them all so there's more stuff to do.

I'd be glad to take any suggestions on how it can improve :)

Credits: Wesely FG for the Gym, the Pokémon Center, benches and for the Gamer Corner (But I changed it a bit)
    Attached Images
    File Type: png Celadoncity.png‎ (101.7 KB, 37 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 14th, 2017 (4:23 PM). Edited December 14th, 2017 by Arma.
    The Hyena
    • Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mega Swadloon View Post
    Here's a map I'm working on. Still in progress. It's a new take on Celadon City. I hate how the towns in Pokémon are hardly towns, just a few houses, a PC and a store. So my goal is to make Celadon City, but also make it with enough houses so that it's realistic AND make it so you can go inside them all so there's more stuff to do.
    Let me stop you right there buddy, Celadon city already has more than enough to do, if you were going to make it "realistic" you'd have to add a couple of thousand more houses. *ahem* Anyways, what's the point of having so many houses? how can you keep me entertained visiting them all, without making it feel like a slog? It seems like you are just adding houses for the sake of it, if you'd map the entire Kanto region like this, the vast majority of your audience would lose their patience after arriving in Viridian city. =/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mega Swadloon View Post
    I'd be glad to take any suggestions on how it can improve :)
    Credits: Wesely FG for the Gym, the Pokémon Center, benches and for the Gamer Corner (But I changed it a bit)
    Anyways, onto the actual review of the map. I really like the tiles you picked for the smaller houses! the ones you used for the larger ones look pretty bad in comparison though. Not only do the tiles clash, the windows are located in awkward positions. All the buildings are perfectly one a single line too, which, in my opinion, really makes for a boring map to walk through. I like the gym, but the placement is just downright horrible to me, the ring of trees really look off, and you'd do much better to use some more natural shapes to turn it into something of a park, rather than a box of trees.

Back to the point of making it a more "realistic city" the house with the water in front of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, other than just being there because game freak did it, surely you can come up with something more interesting to prevent the player from accessing it before they acquire surf?

I'm generally not a fan of tall grass in cities, but it makes sense in the park-like area on the bottom right. However, the same can't be said for the patches on what appears to be the main road of Celadon. It looks horrible, and again really takes away from that realistic vibe you're aiming for. I'm also not a fan of the "front yards" of the three houses next to the Pokemon center, it looks more like 2 tiles of wilderness in front of their house, than a yard.

Also, I'd really go with a more paved road for such a large city as Celadon, but that's not really a big concern.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative here. n-n;; My purpose is to only provide some constructive criticism, so you can improve your maps~ I do hope my thoughts have been useful, and I'd love to see your final rendition of Celadon City!
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (11:34 AM).
    Swadloon Trainer

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Arma View Post
      Let me stop you right there buddy, Celadon city already has more than enough to do, if you were going to make it "realistic" you'd have to add a couple of thousand more houses. *ahem* Anyways, what's the point of having so many houses? how can you keep me entertained visiting them all, without making it feel like a slog? It seems like you are just adding houses for the sake of it, if you'd map the entire Kanto region like this, the vast majority of your audience would lose their patience after arriving in Viridian city. =/

Anyways, onto the actual review of the map. I really like the tiles you picked for the smaller houses! the ones you used for the larger ones look pretty bad in comparison though. Not only do the tiles clash, the windows are located in awkward positions. All the buildings are perfectly one a single line too, which, in my opinion, really makes for a boring map to walk through. I like the gym, but the placement is just downright horrible to me, the ring of trees really look off, and you'd do much better to use some more natural shapes to turn it into something of a park, rather than a box of trees.

Back to the point of making it a more "realistic city" the house with the water in front of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, other than just being there because game freak did it, surely you can come up with something more interesting to prevent the player from accessing it before they acquire surf?

I'm generally not a fan of tall grass in cities, but it makes sense in the park-like area on the bottom right. However, the same can't be said for the patches on what appears to be the main road of Celadon. It looks horrible, and again really takes away from that realistic vibe you're aiming for. I'm also not a fan of the "front yards" of the three houses next to the Pokemon center, it looks more like 2 tiles of wilderness in front of their house, than a yard.

Also, I'd really go with a more paved road for such a large city as Celadon, but that's not really a big concern.

I hope I didn't come across as too negative here. n-n;; My purpose is to only provide some constructive criticism, so you can improve your maps~ I do hope my thoughts have been useful, and I'd love to see your final rendition of Celadon City!
      Thanks! I agree with you that the gym is in a weird area. And I can totally edit the tiles for the big buildings (they’re just altered R/S tiles) As far as a reason to go inside the houses, that’s more of a gameplay thing I think. But I’ll put a new pic when I have changed a few things on the map
      Old 2 Weeks Ago (10:20 PM).

Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.

My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.

Old 1 Week Ago (10:43 PM).
        Memorite: Pure Edition Creator

Nature: Relaxed
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
          Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.

My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.
          Looking Quite nice for a start! Id recommend just bringing things together a bit. Maybe add a little park or something? Other then that, good job!
          Old 1 Week Ago (10:45 PM).

This Map is Dope!
            Old 1 Week Ago (10:54 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Chaflie View Post

Just a quick little concept I came up with while pitching ideas with a team
              I LOVE THIS.

Shows hoe tiny maps are still cute.
              Old 1 Week Ago (10:56 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by buttjuice View Post
                I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

Not sure how everybody gets the nice pretty screenshot D:
                But here's my route 1
                Made with RPGMakerXP
                Spoiler:
                Taken out for link block
                I love this. My only suggestion is posibly placing more trees that overlap. looks a little "Escapeable"
                Old 1 Week Ago (10:59 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dew 2.0 View Post
                  Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

Spoiler:
                  Taken out for link block. lol

All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!
                  I Like the faux 3D effect!
                  Old 1 Week Ago (11:00 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by TypicalJalapeno View Post
                    And what 'bout this snow map?
                    Snow Maps are my faveeeee. I just cant map with them
                    Old 1 Week Ago (11:06 PM).

I am uploading a map that I have been working on for a game im doing.

Spoiler:

Old 1 Week Ago (8:11 AM).

Wow! I love the layout and the shape of the towns! Great job. You could be a little more liberal with the mountains though, unless you're aiming for exclusively forest.

Old 1 Week Ago (6:16 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
                          Wow! I love the layout and the shape of the towns! Great job. You could be a little more liberal with the mountains though, unless you're aiming for exclusively forest.
                          Thank you for the feedback!

As for my use of Mountains, this is just the "Tutorial Area" before you go off into the rest of the world, so I figured it needed to be more.... Bland?

One of the next parts i'm going to be dealing with is a Terraced City, and a Cave City. I want to make the Cave City vary in terrian tremendously though. Maybe you'll get to see that!
                          Old 9 Hours Ago (12:31 AM).

So I have added a ton to my game, and i wanted to show off my little promo screenshots for proof of development.

so hear is some screens

Spoiler:

Quick Reply