• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which is better, Black and White or Black and white 2?

BW or BW2?

• Total voters

JoanXXX

I swear I am not a weeaboo
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
Mine would have to be Black and White 2, although it falls flat compared with black and white in other things, but there is more to do in black and white 2,

What's your opinion?

Post your thoughts in the thread

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm team Black and White :) For me B2W2 just feel alien in comparison. Probably because I hated Pokestar and didn't like Floccesy Ranch (the music literally drove me crazy). Yeah there's more to do but the story, the whole "brand new" atmosphere... BW wins, easily.

Also I've removed the Weekly Poll prefix for now - once I'm running them again I'll be getting volunteers but for now Weekly Polls are off the table! :)

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
Oh Sorry, I'm new here, I thought it was like reddit (the flairs etc.) How does this site work? (could do with a basic understanding so as not to make these mistakes again.)

Last edited:
Years
I hated BW. Aside from the story, there was nothing about BW in particular that struck me in awe. Cheren and Bianca were kind of unimpressive to me (especially Cheren, Bianca was okay), and none of the other NPCs were really that... impressionable to me, or left any sort of impression really at all aside from maybe N and that's because he kept appearing everywhere and just kinda acted like this weirdo kid making vague remarks about Pokemon being set free from their trainers or whatever. To add insult to injury, BW had a piss poor postgame in the form of the Battle Subway which was the worst battle facility to exist next to the Battle Maison. After I finished BW, I had absolutely zero desire to even so much as pick it up again. Not only that, Dream World was nice in concept but really annoying in practice.

This sounds really harsh, but it's true in my eyes. BW almost killed what was supposed to be my love for fifth gen immediately and just generally left a sour taste in my mouth.

And then came B2W2. A darker story with more fleshed out characters from the original BW alongside significantly better designed protagonists and a way better post-game and features than BW. what more could I really ask for? All I want in a Pokemon game is just replayability, and B2W2 was like a wish come true to me. it revitalized what waning interest I had for fifth generation, and I really do think it's what BW should've been from the beginning.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Overall, I like Black2/White2 better than Black/White. What gives B2/W2 the edge for me is the amount of content it offers over Black/White (B/W unfortunately suffer from 1st pair of a new gen syndrome). You get a few extra places to explore in Unova, the PWT, PokeStar Studios, move tutors, better (imo) versions of Black City/White Forest, and whatever else it is I'm forgetting.

The events of the final room in N's Castle in White is still one of my favorite moments in the main series games though.

Oh Sorry, I'm new here, I thought it was like reddit (the flairs etc.) How does this site work? (could do with a basic understanding so as not to make these mistakes again.)
Usually if you are able to apply a prefix to a thread, you can do so, so long as it's fitting enough (like, you're not gonna make a thread in Entertainment & Media about a movie but apply the [Sports] prefix lol). There's a few of them, like the [Weekly Poll] prefix in this section, where it was intended to be a sort of special thing usually done by staff, but not restricted to staff-only usage in the case where the mod(s) want someone else to do it or whatever. Can't blame ya for using it though, it's not crazy for someone who wants to make a poll thread to see a prefix that says "poll" and use it.

It's not really a big deal when someone uses a prefix wrong, usually when a mod tells you that they changed/removed it, it's just so you're not left all like "what the fuck happened to my thread where's the prefix". You'll figure it all out eventually. Feel free to ask questions when you need to.

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
I definitely do like BW, the ending was superb but BW2 is better

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
Yeah it looks like BW2 is the most liked game out of the two.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Black2/White2 has a great post-game imo and good features! But love both games tbh

Tixelpip

Pokémon Sweet Fan! :D
Years
I love both pairs but I think I prefer B2W2 because of the post game and the legendaries and stuff.
I think they work well together and honestly it is hard to decide as they both have great stories.

JoanXXX

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 21, 2018
I think if BW had older Pokemon in the main story it would be a MUCH closer race :)

I disagree - it kind of made BW and BW 2 feel like a new game - instead of just an addon

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
BW2 was not only vastly better in my opinion, it also retroactively redeemed BW for me. The originals had some nice features but they lacked sooo much of the depth and interest that was introduced in the sequels. Also, I think all of the new areas in BW2 are pretty amazing, and the World Tournament sucked up a huge amount of my time.

ImLethe

Lethe
Years
  • Age 22
  • OHIO
  • Seen Mar 19, 2020
They're like the only Pokemon games with some character development which is cool.

I like BW2 better mostly for PWT and I also remember thinking it was really cool to battle Cheren as a gym leader. Aside from that, I enjoyed having more to do in general with BW2.

Years
Pokemon Black is my game. Since the first ones got little live here, someone has got to stand up for them. Warning: Wall of Text Ahead

Black/ White was intriguing and unusual right from the get-go with the opening theme utilizing more of a narrative structure than you would typically see in a Pokemon intro. The pacing and overall storytelling is much tighter than previous gens, the slower-moving world of Sinnoh comes to mind by contrast. Black/ White doesn't let you rest-- from the mischief going on the moment you set foot in Accumula Town as the radical idea of Pokemon Liberation spreads through the city, to the reenactment of an ancient myth in modern times as you duke it out with the King of Team Plasma's legendary pokemon.

Black 2/ White 2's post game is great and more comprehensive. However, I would have rather seen some of the cool new places and features like the battle tree, nature preserve, world tournament and join avenue incorporated into a third version game along the lines of crystal, emerald, preserving the story of the originals.

I like that Game Freak spared no expense and was really ambitious, but Black 2/White 2 has a tendency to undermine some of the best things the original had going for it. It started with taking a cool Pokemon like Kyurem who did deserve a buff in strength and more storyline-- then over-designing the guy with the fusion forms.

The sequels also don't have as much direction immediately. There are a lot of things you can do like go to pokestar studios that can be enjoyable, but don't contribute to the story. N's prolonged absence also takes a toll on the pacing, since they didn't have another interesting character in an active role for some time.

I don't think that the one-track Hugh was a good character to carry most of the story in Black 2/ White 2, especially coming behind N who was a rival in all but name. Hugh is just way too unevolved with you. I don't even like the idea of his character. Instead of making him look for his sister's lost Pokemon it should have been his own Pokemon.

I did like the introduction of Colress in BW2. He's more of an interesting guy on the edges of the story, than someone like N who sets the story in motion. However, I think they made a believable character, neither a good guy or a bad guy, just a scientist's unbridled curiosity without any apology for it, great battle theme. I just wish the sequels had more gray areas like this.

What was cool in the initial games was that Team Plasma left a little more room for ambiguity. Unlike past teams who nobody would want to succeed, Ghetsis was making a logical arguement about problematic elements of the pokemon world. He was a brilliant, popular man with a silver tongue, preaching about equality. Obviously he had a hidden agenda, but that was the key-- hidden.

I think the sequel jumped the shark with Ghetsis by making him no longer capable of using any psychology to gain power. In BW2 the guy is just raving. presenting the New Team Plasma as a terrorist organization with no pretense to be otherwise. This wasn't improvement over the original-- sorry, its just makes the story more one-dimensional.

To end on a positive note, I did enjoy seeing how lot of the characters were growing like Rood, Iris, Alder, Bianca. Often they were small, subtle changes, but nice. At the end of the day though it was the first game that made me care about all of these characters to begin with. There are some things I like about BW2, but ultimately it is the original that I see as the definitive version of Unova. Gen 5 is one of my favorite gens, but I would not feel as strongly if Black/White had never been part of it.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I bought both Black and White and a Japanese version of White 2.

I really hate completing my Black and White; Found it a whole drag to even switch on my console to play them. Eventually I sold my White and left with my Black not even 50% completed but had to do it so I can emigrate my Pokemon from my RSE FRLG -> DPPt HGSS -> Black -> my X cartridge.

However for White 2, despite a slight language barrier in Japanese, I enjoyed my gameplay much better; It was a more 'familiar' Pokemon game to me, coming from someone whose first game was Red. I actually regretted not buying the English version afterwards.

So definitely Black 2 and White 2 for me.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Black 2 and White 2 easily. PWT actually felt like a dream lol, and while the lack of old pokemon certainly made things interesting, it felt much too limited.

Back