• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Two questions regarding the rival

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
1. How does he progress the game without getting the HMs?
2. How does he level up his pokemon so fast after you meet him
at Saffron?

Years
1. The developers probably didn't think about/care enough, so Blue just progressed without any known HMs. (We could theorize that he had some HM slaves.)

2. Grinding in the wild areas surrounding Saffron possibly?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
1: He mentions he catches lots of Pokemon, so he could easily use some of them as HM slaves.

2: Same way the player levels up

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
I wouldn't attempt to try and make this stuff make sense. The most important thing is that they're good games. It's the whole comic book thing. Trying to fit every little thing that ever happened into the continuity will drive someone insane and ruin it instead of making a good story.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2018
What makes you think that Blue doesn't have the HM's? If I recall correctly he atleast has CUT because he got it from the captain on the S.S. Anne. He even tells you after or before the battle.

Last edited:

withheld

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
What makes you think that Blue doesn't have the HM's? If I recall correctly he atleast has CUT because he got it from the captain on the S.S. Anne. He even tells you after or before the battle.

Blue didn't seem to care about the captain. Do you think the captain
would've given the HM to someone who was so insensitive?
Also, it was stated Red was the only one to have won the SURF HM.

Back