• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
...And that counter will go on forever. I got Sapphire from someone I know, and the rocket launches were at 9999!

Normally you can never reach such high number. Unless you play for more than 89 years (and assuming the battery didn't run dry in the meanwhile). So it's safe to say the Sapphire you got was glitched. But I think you fixed it, so it's not that useful I guess.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Does anyone know of a complete tileset of D/P/Pt/HG/SS graphics, indoors and out? Also, is there a voicegroup tool? That would be nice.
There's probably not a complete tileset but there's bits and pieces all over the place. Look in Pixel Art, Spriter's Resource, or google it. There's probably even stuff in Game Dev (remember, they use this stuff too).

As far as voicegroups, there is no tool for them. AmineX has a tutorial for changing them, and Hiroshi Sotomura used to have one here and I'm sure he still probably has it somewhere but I'm too lazy to look through the thread and/or ask him for it.

EDIT:... you know, I dunno if that thread from Hiroshi was what I thought I was looking for. I'll go dig some more and I'll see if I find what I think I'm looking for. XD

EDIT2: I found what I meant to find in the first place. Hiroshi has this tutorial for doing some stuff with voicegroups. :D

Last edited:

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
C++ is cool, I use it. C++ is more flexible and portable though, so if you want you tools compatible with every OS system it is a good choice.

Change of subject. Is anyone familiar with the ARM instruction set? Is there any point in learning it?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Change of subject. Is anyone familiar with the ARM instruction set? Is there any point in learning it?

Of course there's a point. The (ARM) THUMB instruction set is widely used in all GBA games. Either way, it's just a programming language, and it's used in other devices as well. The iPhone has an ARM core too. Keep in mind it's a low-level programming language, while C++ is a high-level one. The latter is mostly used if you truly need to optimize something, or if you have to write something not too complex. Or if you have to reverse engine something. Otherwhise you would mostly go with high-level languages which would be automatically assembled into the proper low-level languages. This is meant to a brief explanation and nothing else :)

Giga Universe

Working on a tool.
Years
I meant what are the advantages of ARM mode over THUMB mode pertaining to the Pokémon games. I already know THUMB, and I want to know if I should learn ARM mode sooner rather than later. I know ARM has conditional execution for every instruction, but it is twice as slow as THUMB. I don't know the other disadvantages/advantages though. I realise that the ARM7TDMI is a common choice for portable devices, and that is is useful to learn for other means, but I want to know how practical its use is specifically for Pokémon.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I know This should be a simple question, but I never get any replies in that thread. My question is how does one make a rom hacking tool? I know quite a bit with Visual Basic. Also what programing tool do you use? (probably c++ isn't it) I have been interested in making a rom hacking tool for awhile now and would really would like to know how.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I know This should be a simple question, but I never get any replies in that thread. My question is how does one make a rom hacking tool? I know quite a bit with Visual Basic. Also what programing tool do you use? (probably c++ isn't it) I have been interested in making a rom hacking tool for awhile now and would really would like to know how.

^ Same. It would be awesome to be able to create my own tools; it'd provide me the chance to learn tons of information about the games (and because I am a naturally lazy person, I really don't feel pressured to do so).

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
There are a few tutorials in the Tutorial and Documents section. If you want to get started then I would advice you to see Dartharon's tutorial. It's a simple tutorial based on Visual Basic. I'm sure it'll help all those who want to get into programming.

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
Years
Giga Universe said:
I meant what are the advantages of ARM mode over THUMB mode pertaining to the Pokémon games. I already know THUMB, and I want to know if I should learn ARM mode sooner rather than later. I know ARM has conditional execution for every instruction, but it is twice as slow as THUMB. I don't know the other disadvantages/advantages though. I realise that the ARM7TDMI is a common choice for portable devices, and that is is useful to learn for other means, but I want to know how practical its use is specifically for Pokémon.
Nah, I don't think it's practical unless you wanna write your routines and place them in the IRAM to overcome the speed issues but nearly all routines in Pokémon are THUMB. The ARM instruction set are only used where necessary.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2010
Hello guys, sorry for bumping in, but i didnt want to make a topic over what i think is an overrated hack :
Moemon Fire Red,

Thing is i want to play the Hard mode version of it, but i guess it will never will be ported to an english fire red rom , so i was thinking of going into the task of shamelessly rip the game hacked sprites and trainer's pokes (they have different move sets and hold items in this "hard version") and put them on a fire red rom,and only one thing is stopping me from doing that:
I SUCK AT HAXXING ,
I 've learned a few things over the time but only really basic stuff like advance mapping and using A-Trainer,Etc

So after all that long prayer , i just wanted to ask for some good tutorials on handling palettes and changing the main player sprites , also the trainer's because they have some nice ones like FAT MARIO, or LUCKY STAR KONATA , OLD RED, etc

Examples of my noobness:
whenever i try to change a poke with unlz gba it comes up with a different palette than the one i gave it,
Another trouble i have is that when i try to import the FR Jap main player sprite into a FR english rom with OverWrldEditor RE, it tells me the pallete slot it uses is not available (1) and i can only choose from (0,3,4,6,etc)

well hope someone understands what i mean and thanks in advance guys

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2010
Well, for starters, I think I understand where you're coming from. But, my best guess is that it is in a foreign language, right? You can just translate it with either a hex editor or use a Text editor. But, you shouldn't have to rip everything and reinsert it...

Whoops! my bad, i didnt mention that it is a Japanese Fire red hack i wanted to port into a US Fire Red rom,

Well, even tough i understand some basic hex i would like to request a tutorial on translating POkemon things , i searched for one but i wasn't lucky plus i have heard (from similar projects i follow) that translating a JAP rom is really hard, something to do with the lenght of text,and some other problems , that on top of the fact that the only jap word i can translate is SUSHI,......... what? that doesn't translate?..... oh well

So maybe , maybe not, both ways (reinserting or translating) should take a lot of time

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Gosh, I hate double-posting... (Stupid DSi character limit...)

I was going to say...

It does seem there are indeed glitches in HG/SS. I call it "Pokegear Map error". It goes a little something like this:
In the Japanese (idk about english) version of HG/SS, when you select something on the map, it will turn orange, right? Well, press Y to go to the marking screen. Then, go back. The location you selected will be it's color before being selected (Red for large cities, green for small cities or important locations, or white for routes) until you deselect it and reselect it. I noticed it on my HG today, and thought there could be a fix for it. What do you think?

Speaking of the PokéGear map, did you notice that when you use the Pokédex's location function, the male character's icon is different to that used in the actual PokéGear? The Pokédex icon has a different hat, and a slightly different hairstyle.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Just curious, do posts get deleted around here anymore? It seems like there are so damn many spammers the mods can't keep up. I'm not saying anything bad about the mods, but its damn rediculous.

Years
I want to know how to change the song in the backround's song, as in like how DestinedJagold did in his Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians. Not as in go into A-Map, but as in changing the available songs to what isn't in the ROM.

Spoiler:

Years
Sappy: [Amjed012 has not made 15 or more posts yet]
MID2AGB:No can do. It's property of nintendo. Search up Maginus' Sappy Tutorial on Youtube. There's a link there.
MIDI Sequencer:Google is your friend here.

So are you saying it's impossible to get MID2AGB? Or is there a possible way?

Supreme Dirt

used Petal Dance
Years
  • Age 32
  • o3o
  • Seen Dec 4, 2014
Ah, nice to be back.

Anyways, has anyone successfully replaced music in a 4th gen game yet? I think I remember reading something somewhere, once, but I haven't found anything since.

If not, I'm gonna try and be the first.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
compressed sprites

I have a couple of question.
1) I'm working on pokemon blue: does anybody know how to insert some new sprites or replace existing sprites with other images?
2) Do you know if compression algorithm is the same in both r/b/y g/s/c? (i'm asking this because i'd like to replace some pkmn Blue sprites with pkmn Gold ones)

The problem is to find a way to compress an external image (for example a .gif or .jpeg) and transform it in hex code so that i can insert it in the rom (i'm using hexworkshop).

Thank you in advance

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I have a couple of question.
1) I'm working on pokemon blue: does anybody know how to insert some new sprites or replace existing sprites with other images?
2) Do you know if compression algorithm is the same in both r/b/y g/s/c? (i'm asking this because i'd like to replace some pkmn Blue sprites with pkmn Gold ones)

The problem is to find a way to compress an external image (for example a .gif or .jpeg) and transform it in hex code so that i can insert it in the rom (i'm using hexworkshop).

Thank you in advance

The problem is blue is black ad white, gold has colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back