• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we live in an empathy-less world?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Feels like no one really cares about each other. I guess this depends from person to person but from my POV, (I have a lot of problems but no one really cares, not even my parents or relatives), everyone seems so shallow these days. My own sister would laugh in my face and tell me to basically f**k off if I opened up to her. People care about their images and ego more than feelings, especially with the advent of new technologies such as social media, it appears. You grow up listening to stories whether religion or kids shows that teach you basic life crap, like care for one another, then everyone grows up to be near the opposite of that.

Well mostly everyone from my experience, don't know about you. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or negative here either.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
There are a lot of empathetic people in the world. They're just harder to find as one gets older and people are often harder to help as they get older.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Yeah I know that, but they're far and few between. Doesn't excuse the fact that the rest of the world is not. I often hear people preach, and in churches, or on social media or the internet, or a college/school setting, to care for one another, to extend your arm out and help a fellow brother, but never do I see that in action.

Last edited:
Years
While I do believe that our modern world is full of apathetic, unfeeling individuals, I think that they are significantly outnumbered by kindhearted, caring people. I see acts of kindness preformed on a daily basis, be it small, simple gestures of compassion, or extravagant, grandiose displays of love. It truly depends on your outlook in life. I personally always try to see the glass as half full, as opposed to half empty. I think that when you open your eyes and focus on the good and the pure, you'll be much more likely to see that goodness. For instance, I see the charity work being done in my church, I see the inclusiveness displayed at my place of education. If I were to view the world through shaded lenses, perhaps I would only see the corruption, violence, and brutal injustice. I truly believe it's all about perspective.

Last edited:
Years
Honestly, yes.
It's really hard to find people who will genuinely care about you, even in families parents will kick their kids out without second thought, even if they have nothing.
I was raised by people without empathy or compassion, it was hell for me. People need to learn to care for others and for the world.

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
Yeah I know that, but they're far and few between. Doesn't excuse the fact that the rest of the world is not. I often hear people preach, and in churches, or on social media or the internet, or a college/school setting, to care for one another, to extend your arm out and help a fellow brother, but never do I see that in action.

A person selflessly helping another isn't looking for recognition. This is one of the reasons a lot of good deeds go unannounced. Do what you can to make the world a better place and find comfort in knowing there are a lot of people out there doing the same thing even if you don't see them in action.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
A person selflessly helping another isn't looking for recognition. This is one of the reasons a lot of good deeds go unannounced. Do what you can to make the world a better place and find comfort in knowing there are a lot of people out there doing the same thing even if you don't see them in action.

Yes I know good deeds go unannounced and without recognition. Still doesn't change the fact that most people are cold to one another. Suicides are covered up in my city, no one really wants to go out of their way to treat another person like they matter. Sadness and loneliness and a lot of human problems are generally overlooked and when someone legitimately suffers from those things, it's too draining to even offer an ounce of compassion. Some people posture and try to pretend they care, but they don't. I know this because I've been on that end.

But yes, I will try to be more caring than others in the future.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
No. Most people in the world have empathy. It's a very basic human ability.
Empathy doesn't necessarily mean to care about someone, it's more about understanding other people, their experiences and their points of view.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Absolutely not. In fact, our world has a ton of empathy. But we pay attention to hatred and violence because it?s more intense and concerning.

Years
Something worth noting is that empathy doesn't only exist in one scale. There's large scale empathy where you empathise with the plight of a group but factor in the individual less and there's also the more personal variety where you empathise with a single person.

Sometimes the former kind of empathy is regarded as being cold towards the struggles of a single person when in reality the empathiser is just thinking on a broader scale. Similarly the more personal empathiser can be seen as ignorant to the plights of sects of society when in reality they just need to put a face to what they're expected to fight for.

I think most people tend to excel in one of those areas over the other. There's definitely a tonne of people out there who are just not very empathetic at all but I think that those who claim we live in a society devoid of empathy are just looking for the wrong kind of empathy from the wrong people. Plus... it's kind of conceited to suggest that you're the only person who empathises with people. That in and of itself shows a lack of empathy.

All in all, I think that there's not enough empathy in the world, definitely. I also think though that our own empathetic failings can lead to us perceiving the situation as worse than it is.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Plenty of empathy in this world. Part of the problem is some people expect you to be empathetic over everything all the time and that is hard for most people to do. Empathy over a tragedy that happened unexpectedly? Sure. Empathy over a really stupid decision that you willingly made? Not so much.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
Empathy is there, but the jackasses are in abundance. As for the whole thing with people caring more about their image, its less that they actually care all that much about it and more that they care to much about what other people think of them. Alas that's also a part of human nature
iflIblC.jpg

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
We do... It's just gotten to the point of feeling more "worthy" or "self entitled" than their peers. This really changed after they ranked people based on "income".. Making people feel more "privileged" than those below them.

A rough past and disloyalty in others can cause one to have little to no trust in others. Lot's can't even trust themselves cause of how we're forced to live.
Those that have never had to take care of themselves without assistance know what I'm talking about. You do shit you don't want to do cause you HAVE to do it. It's part of survival.
I help others and am an very empathetic person. I've been kicked around by lots cause people treat others like garbage to make themselves feel less insecure. I can channel into ones emotions, I'm like a healer in a way cause I've unlocked those powers within. But when pushed I'll show that other side I usually don't like to show that demon in me. But sometimes when dealing with a hateful individual you have to make them realize how low and hateful they are.

Back