• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

You must have some really flexible GM who allows you to get away with having an much higher level of darkness in your character compared to the RP itself. ;p

Liking dark RPs is one thing, claiming that darkness is realism is another. I own a very dark pokemon RP with no real limit on how dark you can get short of things too graphic for this forum at all or smut, but I acknowledge it's definitely not realistic in the sense that it takes liberties with what could happen in the pokemon canon, and it's also way darker than reality for that matter.

Tbqh, from the one SU I've ever actually judged of yours I'd have to say that your view of realism comes off as darker than the real thing, no offense.

I think what we have been disagreeing on here is personal views. My view on life is pretty dark; My parents divorced when I was only about 4 or 5 (I literally have maybe three memories of my childhood until I turned about 11 or 12), my mom keeps dating terrible guys and it's been affecting me, and generally people treated me rather poorly. But I'm not here for pity, and honestly I don't like talking about my problems. I figure no one would really care all that much... :/

Anyways, my point is, maybe my perspective on life is so dark because I've lived a dark life. It's what I'm used to, and it's what I consider realistic.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
Cr*p! I wanted to mention it! It makes me feel like I'm behind the scenes.

Zerin & I are currently making an RPG-based RP. He will be making the threads, considering he does better coding than me. We've already planned out the classes & most of the story. :) Expect more info!

EDIT: We've decided on 8 different classes.

Warrior
Black Mage
White Mage
Red Mage
Rogue
Archer
Fighter
Technitian

Just PM me & Zerin if you wanna know more.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

But... what does that have to do with realism? My point is that if our RP is not faithful to the canon it's not 'realistic', regardless of the actual quality of the RP. When we take the canon that is Pokemon, we are accepting those standards of what is and is not realistic. Otherwise if realism was based on real life, pokemon in and of itself would be unrealistic and that's just...silly.

Realistic - the very origin of the word even - comes from trying to make things close to reality. Reality, which is the world we live in, not some made up pokémon world. What I'm saying now actually is a fact. To stay true to the canonity of pokémon is not to be realistic, it is simply to stay true to the canonity.

Sounds like a pretty pointless argument after a while, but I just wanted to wrap it up with that.

shinysweety

In it to win it! :D
Years

Zerin & I are currently making an RPG-based RP. He will be making the threads, considering he does better coding than me. We've already planned out the classes & most of the story. :) Expect more info!

Warrior
Black Mage
White Mage
Red Mage
Rogue
Archer
Fighter
Technitian

Rogue! Awesomeness, im so PMing u. xD

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Zerin: Probably.

Realistic - the very origin of the word even - comes from trying to make things close to reality. Reality, which is the world we live in, not some made up pokémon world. What I'm saying now actually is a fact. To stay true to the canonity of pokémon is not to be realistic, it is simply to stay true to the canonity.

We are roleplayers writing in a world accepted to exist within the roleplay. To only use offline as the basis for realism would forever cripple one's writing quality on some level, as this is all part of seperating IC and OOC... Layered realities, which I totally just named, are therefore an integral part of immersion.

Do I want to hear about how complicated a pikachu's anatomy is and try to break them down to a science? Heck no, that's TVTropes job and they're hilarious for actually doing it.

TL;DR, escapists say hi and would appreciate not being referred to as unrealistic whilst writing a story about monsters.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

Warrior
Black Mage
White Mage
Red Mage
Rogue
Archer
Fighter
Technitian

I think you mean more of a Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest-esque RP. RPG here would be a rather broad term because it means 'Role Playing Games', which also includes Pokemon, Deus Ex Human Revolution, and a bunch of other games that do not include classes. /video gaming nerd

So there's a Naruto based RP, a Bleach one... What's the betting we see a One Piece or Fairy Tail soon? XD

There's a One Piece x Pokemon crossover RP called Uncharted Waters here, GMed by Ray Maverick and milktankRancher. You should join it if you are into that sort of thing d:

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
@-DeepImpact-: ._. That sounded like nerd talk, no offense. We're still working on the story, little by little.

I'm starting to re-think on how many will be accepted... *thinking*

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
@-DeepImpact-: ._. That sounded like nerd talk, no offense. We're still working on the story, little by little.

I'm starting to re-think on how many will be accepted... *thinking*

Nerd talk? xD We are nerds here! It's a pokémon forum, after all. And it's true, what DeepImpact says, I also thought about it earlier. RPG has the same meaning as RP, pretty much. We just say RP instead of RPG here. Possibly to distinguish our written games from video games :3

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Technically, it still falls under RPG. There's still traces of the top RPG functions. Pokemon has a party system, types could be labeled as classes, and they constantly learn new "skills" (moves) as they progress. Deus Ex even uses a Skill Tree for advancing through the game. Borderlands is a great example, since the four characters are actually classes, they have skill trees, and rank up by level. Mass Effect is another good example, because it has different character types of Shepard and skills trees in it. As well as levels, if I remember correctly.

The meaning of RPG has been greatly expanded from what it used to be. So yes, it would be like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (man I love Dragon Quest), even Chrono Trigger.

We mean the classic "RPG" of turn based fighting, and class differentiation. Gotta love the nostalgia.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
We mean the classic "RPG" of turn based fighting, and class differentiation. Gotta love the nostalgia.

I haven't played any such written roleplay before, so I would't know how to translate it into forum roleplaying. If you know though, feel free to try.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
Technically, it still falls under RPG. There's still traces of the top RPG functions. Pokemon has a party system, types could be labeled as classes, and they constantly learn new "skills" (moves) as they progress. Deus Ex even uses a Skill Tree for advancing through the game. Borderlands is a great example, since the four characters are actually classes, they have skill trees, and rank up by level. Mass Effect is another good example, because it has different character types of Shepard and skills trees in it. As well as levels, if I remember correctly.

The meaning of RPG has been greatly expanded from what it used to be. So yes, it would be like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest (man I love Dragon Quest), even Chrono Trigger.

I wouldn't say that. There's a difference between skill trees and classes, and RPGs as far as I know have evolved and now have no fixed or top functions. The Party system is very different and not all RPG's implement it. Classes are again different and so are skill trees. These are just a few core ideas that are common in a few RPGs.

For example, Legend of Zelda is considered both a RPG and an Action Adventure series. RPG means when you assume the role of a character through a story, hence the name. Even Heavy Rain to an extent displays a few traits of an RPG, where we control almost all actions of a character.

So yeah nerd talk over. It's pretty much better defining it as FF/Dragon Quest-ish rather than diluting the term into what you want it to be.

@ShinyDiamond: Don't see how this is nerd talk, lol. But still gonna be a good old troll/nerd and say-

"n00b gtfo dis thread"

That was a joke. Don't take it seriously.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
How dare thee! I am not a nerd! ;o

I'm a dork, and not even a dweeb either! QAQ

See? This chart says so. ;o
nerd-venn-diagram-20090915-092804.jpg

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015

I haven't played any such written roleplay before, so I would't know how to translate it into forum roleplaying. If you know though, feel free to try.

It's more of a video game genre that we're going to turn into a written adventure. I guess you'd have to have played many RPGs (like the ones DeepImact listed) to know the natural feel of it. Though it won't be literally turn-based or leveled or anything. Excuse the repetition here but it's going to be a more life-like take on RPG.

And that did used to be the term, but with the advancement of gaming it's become a loose term used for many games. Anyways, pushing aside our differing terms of words, is anyone interested in the idea?

@Dia just message me on facebook and we'll keep discussing.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023
-.- Sigh... Let's change the subjext already, my brain can't take too much of this...

Don't really see the point of saying this right after the co-GM asks for opinion?

But yeah, okay lol. Sooooo...

I was kind of wondering, has anybody here been more excited for Roleplays not based on Pokemon? I sure have been quite looking forward to such RPs...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
-.- Sigh... Let's change the subjext already, my brain can't take too much of this...

If you don't like the current subject in a thread, then simply don't post in it, or don't even read it.

On another note, I will probably be posting a journey RP after all... I'm just deciding on whether or not to post it now or next week and whether or not to implement a leveling system.

And Impact, I had an interest for that kind of RPs a while back :3 Then I joined Atlantis and my needs were satisfied~ You should try joining that! If there are any spots open still. Now, as you may or may not have noticed, I'm in the mood for journey pokémon RPs.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

If you don't like the current subject in a thread, then simply don't post in it, or don't even read it.

On another note, I will probably be posting a journey RP after all... I'm just deciding on whether or not to post it now or next week and whether or not to implement a leveling system.

And Impact, I had an interest for that kind of RPs a while back :3 Then I joined Atlantis and my needs were satisfied~ You should try joining that! If there are any spots open still. Now, as you may or may not have noticed, I'm in the mood for journey pokémon RPs.

YEAH DO IT POST IT

Yeaaaah I kinda tried to sign up but spots were closed. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back