Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

TrollandToad.com

Old 2 Days Ago (10:53 AM). Edited 2 Days Ago by cha0ticbrah.

New error, deleted the old folder and tried to redo this using the gen 2 back sprites and keeping the encounter sprites OG since they worked perfect and now I keep getting, Not sure what the heck is even going on now lol \
    Not even sure what is different now its weird.

$ make
    rgblink -n pokered.sym -o pokered.gbc red/audio.o red/main.o red/text.o red/wram.o
    error: Unable to place 'Battle (bank D)' (ROMX section) in bank $0D
    make: *** [Makefile:91: pokered.gbc] Error 1

I think I see the issue and honestly not sure how I got away with this the first time I replaced the sprites but it seems to be the OG sprites are a big bigger size then the current sprites. For instance some are 690 in size while the OG sprite is 710, I have a feeling the size is whats causing the issue here.

The bmon folder is a bit smaller with the sprites of redplusplus, then with the OG sprites in bmon

Relevant Advertising!

Old 2 Days Ago (5:36 PM).
    Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by cha0ticbrah View Post
      New error, deleted the old folder and tried to redo this using the gen 2 back sprites and keeping the encounter sprites OG since they worked perfect and now I keep getting, Not sure what the heck is even going on now lol \
      Not even sure what is different now its weird.

$ make
      rgblink -n pokered.sym -o pokered.gbc red/audio.o red/main.o red/text.o red/wram.o
      error: Unable to place 'Battle (bank D)' (ROMX section) in bank $0D
      make: *** [Makefile:91: pokered.gbc] Error 1

I think I see the issue and honestly not sure how I got away with this the first time I replaced the sprites but it seems to be the OG sprites are a big bigger size then the current sprites. For instance some are 690 in size while the OG sprite is 710, I have a feeling the size is whats causing the issue here.

The bmon folder is a bit smaller with the sprites of redplusplus, then with the OG sprites in bmon
      That error doesn't look like it's actually complaining about the sprites. But you're right, different sprites will end up different sizes when compressed and inserted in the rom. You'd need to move stuff around if that was the case. But at first glance, that looks like it's complaining about part of the battle engine, and you talked about deleting whole folders and replacing them, so based on that I really don't know what to tell you.

I will say however, no offense, but it would be a lot easier if you would just play the hack the way it was meant to be played instead of trying to go in and undo my updates first Not to mention the fact that it would end up rather inconsistent to have "derpy" Gen 1 sprites for the first 151 and then Gen 2 sprites for the rest. I'm all for helping people learn about how the disassembly works, but again, I also "don't support" what you're trying to do, so I don't particularly want to sit down and shuffle everything around again to fit and undo stuff that I updated just so you can play with Gen 1 sprites. :/

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery

Old 2 Days Ago (5:44 PM). Edited 2 Days Ago by cha0ticbrah.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
        That error doesn't look like it's actually complaining about the sprites. But you're right, different sprites will end up different sizes when compressed and inserted in the rom. You'd need to move stuff around if that was the case. But at first glance, that looks like it's complaining about part of the battle engine, and you talked about deleting whole folders and replacing them, so based on that I really don't know what to tell you.

I will say however, no offense, but it would be a lot easier if you would just play the hack the way it was meant to be played instead of trying to go in and undo my updates first Not to mention the fact that it would end up rather inconsistent to have "derpy" Gen 1 sprites for the first 151 and then Gen 2 sprites for the rest. I'm all for helping people learn about how the disassembly works, but again, I also "don't support" what you're trying to do, so I don't particularly want to sit down and shuffle everything around again to fit and undo stuff that I updated just so you can play with Gen 1 sprites. :/
        No I understand, I just love the gen 1 sprites. Nostalgia I suppose, I'm not trying to undo your amazing work. Well in a way I am but not in a bad way. I love your work what you've done I played through the normal version several times. And looking at your work and polished crystal makes me want to work on a gen 1 hack or my own version of these two amazing pieces of work and carry them to Gen 3 and do something like this for Fire red/leaf green and emerald.
        No no I didnt delete folders, I only grabbed the compatible from git, and then replaced the sprites with the og sprites from pokered disassembly.
        Old 2 Days Ago (8:02 PM).
        Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by cha0ticbrah View Post
          No I understand, I just love the gen 1 sprites. Nostalgia I suppose, I'm not trying to undo your amazing work. Well in a way I am but not in a bad way. I love your work what you've done I played through the normal version several times. And looking at your work and polished crystal makes me want to work on a gen 1 hack or my own version of these two amazing pieces of work and carry them to Gen 3 and do something like this for Fire red/leaf green and emerald.
          No no I didnt delete folders, I only grabbed the compatible from git, and then replaced the sprites with the og sprites from pokered disassembly.
          I can definitely understand nostalgia for the originals, I mean I was introduced to Pokemon back in '98 with Red when it came out, so I'm right there with you on nostalgia. But the original sprites sort of go against what this hack has been trying to do, considering they would just get more and more jarringly out of place as I continue updating more stuff (graphically and otherwise). But trust me, I'm definitely not here to hate on nostalgia.

I get what you mean now, though. You deleted the old copy you downloaded and replaced it with the compatible branch, then swapped in the pngs from the vanilla game to replace the others. I'm not sure why that would make it complain about a file in the battle folder instead of complaining about sprites, since those are all that should have changed. The error would've expected to see would've been one complaining about running out of space in one of the "Pics" sections.

As an experiment, get rid of what you have there, clone the compatible branch again, and try building it first without changing anything in it. That way I can see if it really is a space issue and its complaining about a weird file, or if something is messed up with the way you're trying to compile it (download messed up, wrong RGBDS version, etc) since I know that the compatible branch will build just fine on its own if everything is setup right. That way we can establish if the problem is the sprites or the problem is something else.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery

Old 1 Day Ago (4:21 AM). Edited 1 Day Ago by cha0ticbrah.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
            I can definitely understand nostalgia for the originals, I mean I was introduced to Pokemon back in '98 with Red when it came out, so I'm right there with you on nostalgia. But the original sprites sort of go against what this hack has been trying to do, considering they would just get more and more jarringly out of place as I continue updating more stuff (graphically and otherwise). But trust me, I'm definitely not here to hate on nostalgia.

I get what you mean now, though. You deleted the old copy you downloaded and replaced it with the compatible branch, then swapped in the pngs from the vanilla game to replace the others. I'm not sure why that would make it complain about a file in the battle folder instead of complaining about sprites, since those are all that should have changed. The error would've expected to see would've been one complaining about running out of space in one of the "Pics" sections.

As an experiment, get rid of what you have there, clone the compatible branch again, and try building it first without changing anything in it. That way I can see if it really is a space issue and its complaining about a weird file, or if something is messed up with the way you're trying to compile it (download messed up, wrong RGBDS version, etc) since I know that the compatible branch will build just fine on its own if everything is setup right. That way we can establish if the problem is the sprites or the problem is something else.
            Awesome, I got introduced when it came out as well my aunt and uncle were only several years older then I was and that's how I got introduced my first game was pokemon yellow when it got released and a yellow game boy color to go with it.
            And I do understand.

See that's what's so strange I can build it before changing the sprites but when I replace them I keep getting that same error. Which is what I'm not understanding I put the sprites in and the tools on the extra in the extra folder since when I compile it gives a error about missing files in the extra folder so I download that and put it. As for rgbds, I'm using version 0.25 I believe.
            What's strange is I was able to compile it that first time. And after that I haven't been able to.

If you don't feel like it Mateo we don't have to continue we can drop this, I don't want to make you feel that I want to undo your great work you worked hard to provide us with this. I'm going to shift my focus as well and pick up where I left off in rom hacking because I would like to provide the experience you provided many of us with on red plus plus to gen 3.
            Old 1 Day Ago (12:41 PM).

Hey Mateo! I haven't been in this forum in a couple of weeks, and now I returned. Is everything going great with you and the rom?

Quick Reply