The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: Main Series Games First Generation
“Now, which Pokémon do you want?”

First Generation Red, Blue, Yellow

View Poll Results: Now, PLAYER, which Pokémon do you want?
Pikachu 24 14.12%
Bulbasaur 43 25.29%
Charmander 62 36.47%
Squirtle 41 24.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8th, 2016 (8:02 PM).
PokéTech Guy

Nature: Jolly
Charmander, of course. When I first played Red in '98, I chose Charmander because of Charizard being on the cover art. Back then, I naively thought that the cover Pokémon must be the best in the game.

I'm planning on picking up a 3DS soon (finally) and will go with the same choice. I can't go against nostalgia

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 10th, 2016 (9:07 PM).
The Champion Jester

Nature: Relaxed
Why choose between the three when you can have four. I will continue to be a huge fan of Yellow, so Pikachu it is.

Note: Seriously, the dude always has all three starters. How cool is that?
Old October 22nd, 2016 (7:20 PM).
Molly, you are so adorable! ♥

When I had Blue in physical Game Pak form, I picked Bulbasaur as the starter. Many years ago, I remember reading in a gaming magazine (don't remember exactly which, though) saying that players could only choose Bulbasaur, and that if they chose Charmander or Squirtle, they had to trade with someone for a Bulbasaur.
Ten years after trading in my Game Boy Pokémon games, I bought the Virtual Console re-releases of all three internationally-released Gen. I games for my 2DS. On the VC copy of Blue, I again chose Bulbasaur, as I wished to relive my experience that I had years ago with Blue on my Game Boy Color as much as I could (to the point of having many of the same Pokémon I had then on this playing of that version.)

On Red, which I never had in its Game Pak form, I chose Squirtle, which also is advantageous against Brock (probably the reason why the aforementioned gaming magazine told readers about picking Bulbasaur). I never liked that everybody bragged about having Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard back in the day, especially since it was at a disadvantage against the first two gyms.

On Yellow, even though every player was stuck with starting with Pikachu, I put Bulbasaur and Squirtle on my team when I got them. Again, I don't care about Charmander, so I never bothered putting him on my team on this or any other game.
Old October 23rd, 2016 (11:35 AM).

With the exception of a few challenge runs, I have always gone with Squirtle. Blastoise was the first Pokemon I learned about, so it got me into the series, in a certain sense. Since then, it has always been my favorite Pokemon, and thus, unless I'm playing Yellow, I feel compelled to start with Squirtle. (And if I am playing Yellow, I use all of the starters on my team.)
Old October 24th, 2016 (7:09 AM).
she's about to get chazz'd!

Squirtle is always gonna be my #1! When I was a kid I got a pre-owned copy of Blue with a Blastoise that was super high levelled. I loved my adopted Pokémon so much and it was the first Pokémon I ever used. It's so beautiful and lovable mannnn, it was my favourite Pokémon for the longest time too.

Old October 26th, 2016 (12:52 PM).
Electric Jacket

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi Savage View Post
Squirtle is always gonna be my #1! When I was a kid I got a pre-owned copy of Blue with a Blastoise that was super high levelled. I loved my adopted Pokémon so much and it was the first Pokémon I ever used. It's so beautiful and lovable mannnn, it was my favourite Pokémon for the longest time too.
I didn't sell you my copy, did I? Ohohohoho! I remember selling all three of my cartridges to some kid around '07. I stupidly sold them along with my DS Lite. I was strapped for cash and I seriously regret that decision...

Anyways, Squirtle because Pokémon Blue is the best of the three in my opinion. Psyduck Pikachu. I love Electric types, but goddamn. Pikachu was a brat in Pokémon Yellow. You want a Raichu? Too bad. I Boxed him as soon as I grabbed Magnemite.
Old October 26th, 2016 (9:01 PM).

Charmander Why you may ask. Why not os the better question especially after I name It Drac after Dracula
Old October 28th, 2016 (6:33 AM).
she's about to get chazz'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJacket View Post
I didn't sell you my copy, did I? Ohohohoho!
I don't think so bud, I was five so it was like 16 years ago hahaha

Old October 28th, 2016 (6:45 AM).
Electric Jacket

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi Savage View Post
I don't think so bud, I was five so it was like 16 years ago hahaha
Ohohoho! That and I think we're on two different continents!
Old October 29th, 2016 (8:30 PM).
The Garden Pokémon

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Florges
Sans Pikachu, I love all three starters. They are all greatly designed and do well in game. But I have to go with my boy Squirtle. Simply because when I play the game, I want Ninetails and Vileplume on my team, and that fills the need for a grass and fire type.
Old October 30th, 2016 (8:05 AM).

I'd say Bulbasaur as my choice.

Though I almost always pick Charmander because he is the only fire type until Vulpix and Growlith pop up along the line.

I don't really need the type advantage at this point because I already tend to use Butterfree and confusion to humble Brock, and Pikachu against Misty.

However, I think it's kind of fun to Leech Seed and Poison Powder things to death. Totally inefficient, but hilarious at times.
Old November 22nd, 2016 (1:19 PM). Edited November 22nd, 2016 by VisionofMilotic.

Nature: Serious
I always go with my emotions and pick Charmander, even though he is the toughest to raise. This is because I really fell in love with Ash's on the tv show. His backstory as an abandoned Pokemon awaiting the return of his trainer made you really want to hold him close, it was that much more endearing because he turned out to become Ash's most powerful Pokemon in Kanto, he was the one you called when all hope seemed lost to try to make a comeback. Then he turned into a glorious medieval dragon and became at times the most noble and others the naughtiest teammate Ash ever had. Charizard is one colorful character who could bring formidable style, unexpected humor or deep emotion to the story.

I was so excited as a 10 year old when I discovered there were these games called Pokemon red, blue and yellow because it meant there was a way for me to raise my own charizard!!

I am really fond of the gen 1 fire types and would often monotype with them, they were always awe-inspiring creatures like dragons, tigers, kitsune, firebirds and unicorns.

I also enjoyed playing with all three of the starters in this generation over and over again and these will always be my favorite starters.
Old December 10th, 2016 (3:45 PM).
I like pudding

While I have yet to play Red or Blue, I definitely gave Yellow a shot. That would put me at Team Pikachu.

Pokemon Yellow is a game I would replay over and over again, and still do! However, if I were to try R/B in the future, I would go for Squirtle. I've abused Charmander in the PMD games, and Bulbasaur is my least favorite of the three (although the cutest, let me tell you).
Old December 12th, 2016 (7:56 PM).
Lyoko Princess

Nature: Careful
Charmander now. Charmander forever. Although I did like my Yellow version for variety when it came to starters. I have started with Squirtle and Bulbasaur, but they're just not... Charmander.
Old December 13th, 2016 (7:15 PM).
Everywhere you look...

Nature: Hasty
I don't really like Pikachu because I don't think it deserves most of the praise it gets. I bet if it wasn't a starter/mascot, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.
Old January 8th, 2017 (2:53 PM).

I've always had a soft spot for Bulbasaur. Seems like the underdog of the bunch.
Old January 23rd, 2017 (2:04 PM).

I've always been a big water type fan. When I was a kid I collected the cards and watched the show and occasionally watched my best friend play the games, and I basically wanted to be Misty. (And will always regret letting said best friend convince me to trade my Blastoise card for a Charizard.) So when I finally a chance to play the games this year, there was no question of what to pick; I'd known for years that Squirtle would be my starter. So I did my first game of Blue with Squirtle, and he did not disappoint. (I also played with Squirtle in LeafGreen, and will probably do a solo Squirtle run of one of the Kanto games at some point.)
In Yellow, I used all four of the starters on my team, and really enjoyed that. I can definitely appreciate each of their strengths. I feel like Bulbasaur is the best grass type I've ever played with (though I'll admit I tend to find grass types not much use in general). Charizard was awesome in Yellow, but I wouldn't want to use it in a game where it can't learn Fly. I never minded Yellow Pikachu not evolving; Pikachu is one of my favorite Electric types to have on my team in any game and I never evolve it.

Completed challenges
Single monotype: Water (Ruby), Flying (Red)
Old January 29th, 2017 (7:07 AM).
An error

Nature: Calm
Though I picked Bulbasaur, I'm still surprised that Bulbasaur haves more votes than Squirtle and that Pikachu has lowest votes despite being mascot of the series.
Old January 29th, 2017 (4:55 PM).

Nature: Gentle
Recently I picked Charmander in Pokemon Blue, as for a challenge early on. :]

Though my favourite from the bunch is Bulbasaur because it's pretty amazingly bulky and powerful with it's grass moves. Venusaur is outstanding to use. <33
Bad has become evil.
For one to live is to die,
for one to die is to live.

サクラ大戦
Old 1 Week Ago (5:21 PM).

Definitaly Squirtle!! Such an easy pick.

My #1 favorite Characters are Blastoise Bowser King Dedede Lunala and Reshiram.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:00 PM).
Lurking in the shadows

Charmander was my favourite as a kid. I like all the starters and their evolutions.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:08 PM).
Often lost in thought

Nature: Calm
Charmander for me, it the first Pokemon I had in any game. It also got 2 very good mega evolutions as Charizard.
Old 1 Week Ago (4:35 AM).

when i open my leafgreen game on my birthday this year, i'm choosing squirtle *female hopefully*, because currently i have bulbasaur *name is rose... even thought there was not gender in that game* on my yellow game, a female charmander *name is fia* on pokemon x.... so i thought why not

i love that turtle
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links