• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Hopeless Trainer Editor

KingJay

That Guy
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2017
Looks great, although there seems to be one issue I've run into. This doesn't seem to be compatible with MrDollSteak's rombase. I can do everything except edit moves and held items. Anyone know if maybe I'm doing something wrong? Is there a fix to this?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Looks great, although there seems to be one issue I've run into. This doesn't seem to be compatible with MrDollSteak's rombase. I can do everything except edit moves and held items. Anyone know if maybe I'm doing something wrong? Is there a fix to this?

It should work fine with MrDollSteak's base. Did you modify the .ini to account for the changed number of items/attacks?

KingJay

That Guy
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2017
It should work fine with MrDollSteak's base. Did you modify the .ini to account for the changed number of items/attacks?

No I didn't, I assume I should then? How silly of me :P I'm pretty new to this, how exactly would I go about doing that? Do I just copy and paste his trainer editor data into your ini file?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
No I didn't, I assume I should then? How silly of me :P I'm pretty new to this, how exactly would I go about doing that? Do I just copy and paste his trainer editor data into your ini file?

It's actually quite simple. Open the file ROMs.ini and under the section [BPRE] go to the line that says:
Code:
NumberOfAttacks=355
And you can change that to the number of attacks in MrDollSteak's patch:
Code:
NumberOfAttacks=511
And everything should work fine! You can do this with the other NumberOf fields as well.

Just be sure to mark the original number of attacks for later in case you want to edit a game without the patch.

KingJay

That Guy
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2017
It's actually quite simple. Open the file ROMs.ini and under the section [BPRE] go to the line that says:
Code:
NumberOfAttacks=355
And you can change that to the number of attacks in MrDollSteak's patch:
Code:
NumberOfAttacks=511
And everything should work fine! You can do this with the other NumberOf fields as well.

Just be sure to mark the original number of attacks for later in case you want to edit a game without the patch.

Thanks a lot, although I think that the issue here may be something else actually unrelated to the rombase... After that didn't work for me, I tried it with just my clean Fire Red rom and the same issue was there. I've tried re-downloading the tool in case something was wrong there with no luck...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 27, 2016
Having a hard time editing an expanded ROM base that just came out called "Artificial _Red" I changed the number of items to 511 & Pokemon to 1020, but now I'm getting invalid sprites and the Pokemon names don't happen to appear in the selection tab. I've been trying to change the ROM.in for the names and sprite locations but nothing seems to be working.

Years
I'm having a problem trying to rename important characters like the rival. I can easily rename them in the program and they are renamed in the battle against them but I was really hoping this would solve my issue of the rival still being named Brendan in the games story but no such luck. If I cant to that with this program then how??

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 16, 2022
Why is there a lot of pokemon trainers where you cant edit the moves and only the level, or am i missing something here? Most of the pokemon trainers i cant seem to edit their moves, it just shows -. Most of the ones i can edit are gym leaders, and a few others. No rival's either.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Why is there a lot of pokemon trainers where you cant edit the moves and only the level, or am i missing something here? Most of the pokemon trainers i cant seem to edit their moves, it just shows -. Most of the ones i can edit are gym leaders, and a few others. No rival's either.

To enable custom moves, the "Custom Attacks" checkbox needs to be checked. The "Custom Held Items" can be checked to allow custom items for each Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey everyone. I've been slowly working on a new version of the tool and I'd like to show off a bit of what it will look like.

Spoiler:

As a little bonus I'm showing a ROM patched with the "artificial RED" ROM base to show that yes, the tool will be able to support it (people have said that it wasn't working before?)

Anyway, the tool is almost fully functional and a lot of what remains is mostly minor. So stay tuned for a major update!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 29, 2021
i need help it says "unable to read beyond this stream"
This happens to me literally every time I click a Trainer. I'm using the program for Fire Red, USA/Europe (Rev A). All the trainer names come up blank. I'm running the 64 bit version of this on windows 8.1 x64. Also, A-Trainer functions fine with this Rom and it plays fine on Visual Boy Advance, so I'm sure the Rom isnt the issue, and I've done no editing before this. I noticed in A-Trainer it says there are 742 trainers but yours says 743, I find that discrepancy odd...

It would be cool to be able to specify an ability for Pokemon.

It's really nice and easy to use so far though. :)

Wait, someone pointed me to this tool literally for only the purpose of changing abilities on pokemon from trainer battles (changing the pokemon's default abilties doesnt change the abilities given to Trainer's pokemon, I know from experience)! Is there a tool that does this?

EDIT: Downloaded 151 edition hacked .gba file that allows you to find/evolve all 151 original pokemon, that file works fine in HTE, but not my original, unhacked file...

Last edited:

LordOfMinecraft

LordOfMinecraft
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
Spoiler:

Could you make a Mac version? For Mac users every trainer editor is a hopeless trainer editor. I mean it does work, but I had to move the .ini to my home folder and it's slow to load roms. Of course it works perfectly.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Just wanted to say that this is, by far, my favorite trainer editor to use! Thank you for this awesome program! :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
Hi guys I made the .ini for the italian emerald version ;)
The rom loads properly but I didn't test if everything is fine!

Code:
[BPEI]
AttackNames=0x148
NumberOfAttacks=355
PokemonNames=0x144
NumberOfPokemon=412
PokemonFrontSprites=0x2CAE4
PokemonNormalPalettes=0x130
TrainerData=0x35880
NumberOfTrainers=855
ClassNames=0x183B4
ClassMoneyData=0x4E6AC
NumberOfClassNames=66
TrainerSprites=0x5DF7c
TrainerPalettes=0x5DF84
NumberOfTrainerSprites=92
ItemData=0x1C8
NumberOfItems=377

I have a question: how do you expand the number of trainers?
EDIT: read through the thread and it's impossible... pity

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
There's really no need to expand trainers. You can repoint the battle data for the blank ones at the beginning of the list (0x1 - don't use 0x0, it looks unstable) and use those if you need extra Trainer battles. There are also a ton of unused Trainer battles throughout the entire list of trainers, you can repurpose them.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 1, 2021
There's really no need to expand trainers. You can repoint the battle data for the blank ones at the beginning of the list (0x1 - don't use 0x0, it looks unstable) and use those if you need extra Trainer battles. There are also a ton of unused Trainer battles throughout the entire list of trainers, you can repurpose them.

I think you're talking about Fire Red, in Emerald there aren't unused trainers battles.

Back