• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think GameFreak listens to fan feedback?

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I brought this up in the 30 day challenge thread. I don't think they do. They constantly remove features the fanbase enjoys, don't improve the postgame (something people have been asking for since X/Y), don't bring back the Battle Frontier (and had the weakest excuse ever for not including it), etc.

Your thoughts?

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I brought this up in the 30 day challenge thread. I don't think they do. They constantly remove features the fanbase enjoys, don't improve the postgame (something people have been asking for since X/Y), don't bring back the Battle Frontier (and had the weakest excuse ever for not including it), etc.

Your thoughts?

Every company listens to fan feedback! ^-^
However, there's a few reason why most of what you named didn't make it in future games. They can't make the same game all over again because fans liked it. They have to make something new and unique that adds personnality to each of the Pok?mon games. Otherwise it would be the same game all over again, with a different map and a bunch of new Pok?mon.
Some features like the Pok?mon walking around with the trainer in HGSS are due to console limitations and time limitations. With the increasing amounts of model to make and animate, I understand why they'd rather put their focus elsewhere.
As for the post-game, while it is super annoying to have nothing to do once you beat the league, they probably see that most users stop playing before getting to the post-game content, thus making that content mostly useless. It may also be due to time constraints and the post-game is the first thing that gets cut.

blue

gucci
Years
I do believe they acknowledge fan feedback, but I don't think they actually incorporate them into games as such. It's fairly obvious that the big hitters when it comes to fan requests are Pok?mon following behind you, difficulty system, and Battle Frontier. They had the perfect opportunity with ORAS to incorporate the Battle Frontier, but they decided against that because "not enough people would appreciate it." I'd definitely say that's not the case as more and more people are asking for lengthier post-game content which the BF would have been perfect to compensate for.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I haven't seen much evidence of them listening to fan feedback; I'm sure they're aware, but like Blue said, I don't think incorporating it is anywhere high on their priority list. We've already lost some of the best features (I would also add seasons to the lists mentioned by others, but maybe that was just me) and never gotten them back despite continual pleas. That said I'm not saying it's entirely a bad thing; they have their own priorities about where they want to lead the series and they're not going to jeopardize those by constantly indulging our nostalgia.

Years
Blue and Rainbow have strong points that I feel are very likely the case. Game Freak sometimes listens to feedback, but it's usually not enough to get certain well-loved features retained in later games, like how difficulty settings were axed after B2/W2, DexNav/Hordes/Super Training axed after OR/AS, and the constant running theme of a lot of the newest games having little-to-no postgame content.

Intelligence

The return
Years
I feel like they want to make each game unique with its own features instead of repeating the same game over with a few upgrades.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
constant running theme of a lot of the newest games having little-to-no postgame content.
I think they're trying to push the online battling/trading aspect much harder as a "replacement" to the conventional postgame, which is a bit disappointing to me as I far prefer actual additional story content to online activities.

Years
I think they're trying to push the online battling/trading aspect much harder as a "replacement" to the conventional postgame, which is a bit disappointing to me as I far prefer actual additional story content to online activities.

I agree. It sucks so badly, since not all of us are competitive battlers and I don't like being forced into competitive battling because I have proven to suck at it, as my Showdown days have proven.

I'm with you in that I want more story content instead of training for competitive play.

Years
Yeah I'm with the majority here, I believe they do listen to it, but only to a certain extent. Sun and Moon was an example of Game Freak implementing some highly requested features, such as completely removing HMs. However, they seem to always remove their greatest features despite a lot of people's feedback wanting them, so there's a case for both sides.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Niantic listens to its fanbase (for the most part) on PGO but for the most part I don't think these huge games can really cater to everyone. Nobody will completely love everything, and nobody will completely hate everything. I think they try to stick to their vision and occasionally listen but for the most part I think they're right on the mark. Like, say, for stories being way more detailed since gen 5 etc, those sort of things do mean a lot and I think they have listened.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Every company listens to fan feedback! ^-^
However, there's a few reason why most of what you named didn't make it in future games. They can't make the same game all over again because fans liked it. They have to make something new and unique that adds personnality to each of the Pok?mon games. Otherwise it would be the same game all over again, with a different map and a bunch of new Pok?mon.
Some features like the Pok?mon walking around with the trainer in HGSS are due to console limitations and time limitations. With the increasing amounts of model to make and animate, I understand why they'd rather put their focus elsewhere.
As for the post-game, while it is super annoying to have nothing to do once you beat the league, they probably see that most users stop playing before getting to the post-game content, thus making that content mostly useless. It may also be due to time constraints and the post-game is the first thing that gets cut.
Wow, I honestly think you hit the nail on the head! :o

pkmin3033

Listening and actually doing something about it are two entirely different things...and let's face it, it doesn't really matter at all if they listen or not if they don't act.

...and you can't please everyone, either. Listening to fan feedback doesn't guarantee future success, and nor does it please all of the fans.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I don't think so, but I hope they do now because I don't want another stupidly long cutscene in the beginning of US/UM

Years
I don't think so, but I hope they do now because I don't want another stupidly long cutscene in the beginning of US/UM

I can see why those cutscenes, tutorials and hand-holding was done in S/M because of newcomers needing a pointer, but it did unfortunately come at the cost of the veteran fans' rating of the game because of how unnecessary it felt towards the older players.

Back