• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How to learn to Program in RMXP?

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
Do you prefer tutorials that you can read or watch? The best advice I could give you is to look around, try out different tutorials, and see what works for you.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
If you have no or negligible knowledge, I'd advise looking up some basic programming tutorials first, as general as you can find. Things like the paradigms, code structure, if/else statements, variables, loops, etc. Then once you have an idea of what programming is about, see the next paragraph. You could probably use the ones at the C++ reference; even though the language is different, the same principles apply for pretty much every language.

If you have any knowledge of programming at all, I'd advise taking a peek into the Trainer Card script, learning what things in there do, and then work on modifying it. The best way to learn something is to do it. I don't claim to be anything even resembling skilled, but I managed to overhaul my own Trainer Card and also create a simple starter selection screen based on it just by tampering with the code.

Oh, and most importantly, have A LOT of patience. It will take a long time and require a lot of effort to become a Maruno at coding. Don't expect to be creating your own battles system any time soon. Start small. Good luck, broseph.

Back