Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

TrollandToad.com

Old August 6th, 2016 (10:13 AM). Edited August 6th, 2016 by PenileNecrosis.

Just to push the limits of the project, I have been trying to get it to work atop an existing hack (Blazed Glazed). I can get it to compile and load-up without a hitch (0x08F30000, in case you're curious). From what I can tell, most everything is working well, with the exception of learnsets for Gen 4+.

Taking Turtwig as an example (being a starter in this particular hack), it is supposed to commence with both Tackle and Growl. Having uncommented TURTWIG_MOVESET and added it to the learnset_table within Learnset.c, I can view the learnable pool within a hex editor and view the table's offset in the debug list (if output on insertion) – both look good to me. However, the in-game learnset for Turtwig seems to be incorrect, commencing with Astonish and Growl.

I tried finding Turtwig in the hex editor, and manually re-assigning its learnset pointer to the new offset output by this implementation, same deal. Reading back through the thread there is a lot of talk of PGE not working, resetting the learnset table pointer, etc – all makes sense considering you guys bumped the learnset move marker up to 16 bits. I did notice that none of the original <=Gen3 Pokemon have had their learnset pointers reassigned, so my only conclusion is that you guys are calculating the location of the table programmatically, based on some runtime variable.

Any information on this? I'm guessing I need to either modify the repo somewhat or my existing Gen 4+ table extensions will need to be re-written to accommodate the new battle system. I can provide offsets, screenshots, etc. as needed.

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 6th, 2016 (12:53 PM).

Nature: Quiet
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by PenileNecrosis View Post
      Just to push the limits of the project, I have been trying to get it to work atop an existing hack (Blazed Glazed). I can get it to compile and load-up without a hitch (0x08F30000, in case you're curious). From what I can tell, most everything is working well, with the exception of learnsets for Gen 4+.

Taking Turtwig as an example (being a starter in this particular hack), it is supposed to commence with both Tackle and Growl. Having uncommented TURTWIG_MOVESET and added it to the learnset_table within Learnset.c, I can view the learnable pool within a hex editor and view the table's offset in the debug list (if output on insertion) – both look good to me. However, the in-game learnset for Turtwig seems to be incorrect, commencing with Astonish and Growl.

I tried finding Turtwig in the hex editor, and manually re-assigning its learnset pointer to the new offset output by this implementation, same deal. Reading back through the thread there is a lot of talk of PGE not working, resetting the learnset table pointer, etc – all makes sense considering you guys bumped the learnset move marker up to 16 bits. I did notice that none of the original <=Gen3 Pokemon have had their learnset pointers reassigned, so my only conclusion is that you guys are calculating the location of the table programmatically, based on some runtime variable.

Any information on this? I'm guessing I need to either modify the repo somewhat or my existing Gen 4+ table extensions will need to be re-written to accommodate the new battle system. I can provide offsets, screenshots, etc. as needed.
      Hah, looks like the creator of this hack didn't change much in the battle engine. As far as I know, it should work on every rom that didn't modify the battle engine. The issue would be obviously hooks and custom functions.
      But anyway, to answer your question. Movesets past gen 3 won't work because you've put them in the wrong order in the table. Now:
      in the vanilla roms after the last pokemon by ID that is Chimecho there are slots for an egg and all unowns, I'm not sure how much that is. What you could do is add, say, 40 pointers to the turtwig moveset at the end of the table and gradually erasing one, until you find which one belongs to Turtwig. What's more, you have to know what indexes the pokemon have. Most likely, the creator just went with national dex order, but stuff like forms may have strange IDs.
      You can see pokemon ID in the ram, provided you've got him in the party or box (or opponent has it), if you don't know how, feel free to ask!

Also, to answer how the learnset table works:
      - the location of the table is set at run-time, based on the start offset
      - the table is not repointed, because the most important functions that use it have been rewritten, meaning there's no need for that
      Old August 6th, 2016 (2:07 PM).
      Might or might not come back

Nature: Calm
        Any ini for G3HS?

I tried making an ini by copying the offsets in the PGE ini but it doesn't work. It shows all the new abilities and move names but when i add or replace the move on a Pokemon it turns into a different move. It turns into a move that's in the end of the list. I think I'm missing an offset or something.
        Old August 6th, 2016 (3:32 PM). Edited August 6th, 2016 by PenileNecrosis.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by DizzyEgg View Post
          Hah, looks like the creator of this hack didn't change much in the battle engine. As far as I know, it should work on every rom that didn't modify the battle engine. The issue would be obviously hooks and custom functions.
          But anyway, to answer your question. Movesets past gen 3 won't work because you've put them in the wrong order in the table. Now:
          in the vanilla roms after the last pokemon by ID that is Chimecho there are slots for an egg and all unowns, I'm not sure how much that is. What you could do is add, say, 40 pointers to the turtwig moveset at the end of the table and gradually erasing one, until you find which one belongs to Turtwig. What's more, you have to know what indexes the pokemon have. Most likely, the creator just went with national dex order, but stuff like forms may have strange IDs.
          You can see pokemon ID in the ram, provided you've got him in the party or box (or opponent has it), if you don't know how, feel free to ask!

Also, to answer how the learnset table works:
          - the location of the table is set at run-time, based on the start offset
          - the table is not repointed, because the most important functions that use it have been rewritten, meaning there's no need for that
          Okay, thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

However, I'm still not certain I fully understand. From what I've seen in pouring over hex and VBA memory dumps, often a reference to a table object (at least, via pointer) is arbitrary – thus, no table iteration is required, taking an action similar to this pseudocode :

Spoiler:

Code:
          moves* getLearnset (const pokemon* poke)
          {
            // Simply read null-terminated list of moves at stored offset.
            return movesAtOffset(poke.learnsetOffset);
          }

However, the reason I'm not getting the right learnset now, is because, in reality, it's getting a marker/index from the Pokemon in question. Which it then, essentially, adds it to the learnset table's initial offset? A la :

Spoiler:

Code:
          moves* getLearnset (const pokemon* poke)
          {
            // Get custom table, built prior to this hack's existence.
            table_t* pokemonTable = hack.getTable(pokemonTable);

// Get custom table, built specifically for this battle system hack.
            table_t* learnsetTable = hack.getTable(learnsetTable);

if (pokemonTable && learnsetTable) {

// Get pokemon's number, via its containing table.
              U16 index = pokemonTable.getIndexOf(poke);

if index < table.length {

// Attempt to read null-terminated list of moves at location.
                moves* learnset = movesAtOffset(hack.baseOffset() + table.offset + i);

// May be null/incorrect learnset; caller's responsibility to check.
                return learnset;
              }
            }

return NULL_LEARNSET;
          }

Thus, at least for this this battle system, the existing Pokemon table and the new learnset table (along with others, I can imagine) need to run in parallel, having a 1:1 relationship with each other so that the indices match up. If so, this would explain the garbage output, since it's not reading from the appropriate index. It should also indicate that I can modify the lookup method, instead of throwing in 40+ TURTWIG_MOVESETs and hoping for the best.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm likely looking at this from too much of a C-based perspective, and I know you guys are piggy-backing quite a few vanilla helper functions, so I may may be overthinking it, or I may just need to dive into the disassembly of the 'nilla functions to see what's going on. That said, once I can wrap my mind around this, I'd be happy to contribute to the project if you need a hand! (I'm a software engineer.)

EDIT: for the sake of transparency, I tried appending TURTWIG_MOVESETs ~40 times and tried to repoint Turtwig's learnset to a number of the resulting offsets to no avail. I also tried adding variable numbers of EMPTYSLOT_MOVESETs as padding, prior to a TURTWIG_MOVESET within the learnset_table, and that didn't seem to work once re-pointed either. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this haha.

A couple of offset samples I'm going by to give you an idea of where my head is at (assuming the first bit of pseudocode above is accurate) :

0x08F30000 : Battle System Upgrade base location
          0x08324900 : Turtwig's original learnset location (pre-patch, working)
          0x08F5965C : New learnset table location (post-patch, working on <=Gen3)
          0x08F59CD0 : Turtwig's new learnset location, tested re-point here (post-patch, present but not working)
          0x08F59D04 : Chimeco's learnset location within new table, included for proximity (post-patch, present untested)
          Old August 6th, 2016 (9:03 PM).
          Adamant and adaptive dinosaur.

Quote:
            --stuff--
            I think glazed has replaced existing pokemon. Not added new pokemon. So turtwig might have replaced something like chikorita or bulbasuar. Try altering their movesets.
            Old August 6th, 2016 (10:07 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by DizzyEgg View Post
              They have one animation. Some byte in the battle scripting struct decided which one to play.
              Hmm, but I managed to find the offset for sky attack's second turn animation which is 1CAE31 in fire red (2CD28E in emerald)which made me believe that Solar beam, fly, bounce and frustration/rollout/return variants have their own animation offsets somewhere.
              Old August 7th, 2016 (1:01 AM).

Nature: Quiet
                Quote:
                stuff
                As KDS said, new pokemon in this hack could have been replaced instead of repointed. Also all functions that use learnset table are in the 'learsnet.c' file. I haven't played the hack in question, but the only thing that's missing here is Pokemon's index. You just need to find it and put the pointer in the right place in the table.

Also, help would be much appreciated. You can visit this IRC as I'm there most of the time and it would be more convenient talking there instead of PMs or in this thread.
                Old August 8th, 2016 (5:15 PM). Edited August 9th, 2016 by Bulbadon.

The links aren't there in the Installation instructions.

Edit: Its working now.
                  Old August 9th, 2016 (1:55 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Bulbadon View Post
                    The links aren't there in the Installation instructions.
                    You need to highlight the text. It becomes a link.

Github page is:

https://github.com/KDSKardabox/Pokemon-Emerald-Battle-Engine-Upgrade
                    Old August 11th, 2016 (4:52 AM).

Is mega evolution routine is inserted here? if yes, tell me how to put it in G3T and also i thought that the movesets were updated but i checked in G3T, its not yet updated.
                      Old August 11th, 2016 (5:34 AM).
                      blu rass

Nature: Timid
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by xerveltal View Post
                        Is mega evolution routine is inserted here? if yes, tell me how to put it in G3T and also i thought that the movesets were updated but i checked in G3T, its not yet updated.
                        a.) no, but it is planned
                        b.) the movesets are handled differently now, most moveset editors become useless
                        the best way to go about editing movesets is simply editing them before insertion
                        Old August 11th, 2016 (9:34 PM).

Can I apply this to a modified Theta Emerald game?

Old August 12th, 2016 (12:21 AM).

Quote:
                            Yep, just to expand a bit more (as I've done it), if you want to edit the learnsets simply go into the src folder and edit the learnset file using notepad.

I recommend searching for the move name elsewhere before you add it though, so you can type it in the correct format. No biggy if you don't though as it will tell you where the error is when you attempt to build.

Keep a backup of that learnset doc too for future updates.
                            Old August 12th, 2016 (1:05 AM).

So what do i do to Enable mega evolution? pardon me for being noob
                              Old August 12th, 2016 (3:40 AM).

Sorry, I was just expanding on the second part. Probably should have made it a little clearer. BluRose was right about megas. It's a planned feature.
                                Old August 12th, 2016 (9:34 AM).

Quote:
                                  Mega Evolution system isn't done in this engine yet.

You can try to implement it yourself though.
                                  http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=348182
                                  Old August 13th, 2016 (2:33 AM). Edited August 13th, 2016 by SBird.

I just checked out your code and thought its truly amazing. I also copied some of your structures and tried to implement your features into my own hack (Working on FR though otherwise I would just contribute to your engine :T) - Hope you don't mind that, making sure to give you the respective credit once my hack is finally released... (https://github.com/SBird1337/source_of_the_sovereign/tree/master/src/battle_engine for sake of reference)

I am unsure about one thing: On your initiative calc routine you don't seem to take weather conditions into account, when looking at the original routine I saw that it does (of course) - as far as I understand your hooking scripts you just override the whole routine with your own there so no normal code is executed and therefore weather is ignored completely. Am I missing something or is this just a thing not yet implemented.

~SBird

Edit: Another thing I don't quite get is why you need a hook for the animation of power trick etc. Is there anything special I don't get about those types of moves, sure you need to hardcoded the effect but the animation?
                                    Old August 13th, 2016 (8:13 AM). Edited August 13th, 2016 by Chacha Dinosaur.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by SpanishAdam View Post
                                      Left this a few days just in case I found anything else in the meantime. Gyro ball seems to be pretty wonky. I mean, it works, but it seems to make the enemy sprites go all dodgy. Sometimes it makes the sprite disappear, sometimes it just makes it look funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwhZ2B1Ngc
                                      I think I'll put back the old animation. Because it looked more cooler.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by jeauhervil View Post
                                      Can I apply this to a modified Theta Emerald game?
                                      Of course, if you have free space.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by SBird View Post
                                      I just checked out your code and thought its truly amazing. I also copied some of your structures and tried to implement your features into my own hack (Working on FR though otherwise I would just contribute to your engine :T) - Hope you don't mind that, making sure to give you the respective credit once my hack is finally released... (https://github.com/SBird1337/source_of_the_sovereign/tree/master/src/battle_engine for sake of reference)

I am unsure about one thing: On your initiative calc routine you don't seem to take weather conditions into account, when looking at the original routine I saw that it does (of course) - as far as I understand your hooking scripts you just override the whole routine with your own there so no normal code is executed and therefore weather is ignored completely. Am I missing something or is this just a thing not yet implemented.

~SBird

Edit: Another thing I don't quite get is why you need a hook for the animation of power trick etc. Is there anything special I don't get about those types of moves, sure you need to hardcoded the effect but the animation?
                                      No problem. I actually, will be more than happy if someone decides to port this to FR. Not sure about how Dizzy will feel xD.
                                      Also, what do you mean by the initial calc routine? Loading weather in a battle if the overworld has a weather condition or weather ball or anything else.
                                      The hook is for pallet swap of a particle during the animation. I don't know too much about it. MrDollsteak made it so maybe he can elaborate it further.

Quote:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by SpanishAdam View Post
                                      Sorry, I was just expanding on the second part. Probably should have made it a little clearer. BluRose was right about megas. It's a planned feature.
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Bulbadon View Post
                                      Mega Evolution system isn't done in this engine yet.

You can try to implement it yourself though.
                                      http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=348182
                                      Megas are nearly fully functional now, except for 2-3 graphical handlers, Rayquaza's mega evolution, knock off, trick handling for mega stone and a multi battle check.
                                      Actually, the part except the mega icons and triggers on the HUD was already implemented a week ago. It took a week to understand Touched's code and then port it in Emerald with some variations, additions, adjustments and tweaking.

To enable Megas:
                                      1. Before building the code, open the defines.h files in the src folder. In line 35, change the keystone index to the item index of your liking. After that build it.
                                      2. In G3T, open the 'pokemon editor.ini' file in the Customization folder.
                                      3. Paste this:
                                      Code:
                                      FB=Mega Evolution
                                      FF=Revert Megas
                                      in the evolution conditions section.
                                      4. Now, open the items editor. Choose an item of your choice to be used as a mega stone. Set its Special Value 1/2 (or Held Item Effect) to 139 (in decimal) or 0x8B (in hex).
                                      5. In the extra section of item, put the index of the target Mega Pokemon (e.g index of Mega Scizor if want your item to behave like Scizorite).
                                      6. Now, open the pokemon editor, chose the mon you want to mega evolve. Then go to the evolution tab and add an entry there by setting 'Condition To Evolve' as 'Mega evolution' and
                                      'Evolve To' to the Mega Species (e.g Mega Scizor in case of Scizor).
                                      7. Make sure to set back the original species as Revert Megas evolution of mega species.
                                      (e.g Scizor as Revert Megas evolution of Mega Scizor).

To activate it. Press the start button while choosing a move, you will hear a sound.
                                      Old August 13th, 2016 (11:48 AM). Edited August 13th, 2016 by jeauhervil.

I already tested it to the Modified Rom, but it freezes every pokemon battle..

i'm sorry but maybe I just can't handle scripting yet.. >.<
                                        but i'll still try I might get right after trying again and again.. :D

Old August 13th, 2016 (12:08 PM).

@KDS: Initiative, I meant Initiative

To be precice: The routine that compares two pokémon and decides who is to act first (I guess this is also used if more than two pokémon participate in a battle and it is just called multiple times)

You check for priority moves, trick room etc. but not for weather conditions.

~SBird
                                          Old August 13th, 2016 (12:25 PM).
                                          Chacha Dinosaur Chacha Dinosaur is offline

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by jeauhervil View Post
                                            I already tested it to the Modified Rom, but it freezes every pokemon battle..

i'm sorry but maybe I just can't handle scripting yet.. >.<
                                            but i'll still try I might get right after trying again and again.. :D
                                            Try inserting this where is there is enough free space available. And make sure to change both the offsets as per the instructions.

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by SBird View Post
                                            @KDS: Initiative, I meant Initiative

To be precice: The routine that compares two pokémon and decides who is to act first (I guess this is also used if more than two pokémon participate in a battle and it is just called multiple times)

You check for priority moves, trick room etc. but not for weather conditions.

~SBird
                                            It is calculated in the get_speed function that takes bank as a parameter.
                                            Old August 13th, 2016 (12:36 PM).

If I install this to a unmodified Rombase, there wouldnt be any problem right? i mean installing this to the 1.0 emerald rom...

Old August 13th, 2016 (12:45 PM).
                                              i0Bjhansen0 i0Bjhansen0 is offline

Hey KDS, Lava Plume is missing it's description bytes so it and every move after it uses the move description that comes after it. Also, PGE keeps throwing out errors when certain moves from gen 4-6 are selected. DizzyEgg told me to ask you about it.

Spoiler:
                                                U-Turn 48
                                                Heal Block 48
                                                Captivate 48
                                                Grass Knot 50
                                                Chatter 37
                                                Bug Bite 68
                                                Charge Beam 13
                                                Wood Hammer 22
                                                Attack Order 90
                                                Defend Order 91
                                                Heal Order 92
                                                Lunar Dance 93
                                                Magma Storm 95
                                                Seed Flare 22
                                                Hone Claws 96
                                                Guard Split 73
                                                Power Split 72
                                                Psyshock 65
                                                Venoshock 75
                                                Smack Down 113
                                                Storm Throw 119
                                                Flame Burst 9
                                                Sludge Wave 99
                                                Quiver Dance 100
                                                Synchronoise 115
                                                Electroball 13
                                                Soak 63
                                                Flame Charge 9
                                                Entrainment 119
                                                Round 101
                                                Echoed Voice 102
                                                Stored Power 62
                                                Hex 118
                                                Shift Gears 104
                                                Circle Throw 119
                                                Incinerate 9
                                                Acrobatics 71
                                                Reflect Type 115
                                                Bestow 18
                                                Inferno 118
                                                Volt Switch 13
                                                Bulldoze 103
                                                Frost Breath 23
                                                Dragon Tail 76
                                                Electroweb 32
                                                Wild Charge 13
                                                Drill Run 47
                                                Heart Stamp 88
                                                Horn Leech 6
                                                Sacred Sword 7
                                                Heat Crash 9
                                                Leaf Tornado 22
                                                Night Daze 82
                                                Psystrike 65
                                                Tail Slap 60
                                                Gear Grind 104
                                                Searing Shot 9
                                                Relic Song 37
                                                Secret Sword 7
                                                Glaciate 23
                                                Bolt Strike 13
                                                Blue Flare 9
                                                Fiery Dance 9
                                                Freeze Shock 23
                                                Ice Burn 23
                                                Snarl 105
                                                Icicle Crash 23
                                                V-create 9
                                                Belch 69
                                                Rototiller 114
                                                Sticky Web 106
                                                Noble Roar 105
                                                Paracharge 116
                                                Petal Storm 22
                                                Freeze-Dry 63
                                                Charming Cry 35
                                                Drain Kiss 88
                                                Grassy Field 107
                                                Misty Field 108
                                                Electrify 116
                                                Play Rough 119
                                                Fairy Wind 108
                                                Moonblast 108
                                                Boomburst 80
                                                King's Guard 34
                                                Play Nice 119
                                                Gem Storm 79
                                                Mystic Fire 9
                                                Spiky Shield 34
                                                Venom Drench 117
                                                Happy Hour 120
                                                Static Field 109
                                                Celebrate 120
                                                Hold Hands 119
                                                Nuzzle 121
                                                Grow Punch 66
                                                Land's Arrow 110
                                                Land's Wave 111
                                                Land's Wrath 112
                                                Death Blades 38
                                                Dragon Ascent 29

If my Avatar flashes too much, let me know and I'll change it. I increased the frames from the original before uploading it.
                                                Old August 13th, 2016 (8:10 PM).
                                                School Kid

i dont know what i'm doing wrong but i tried to do mega-evolution in a vanilla rom and set the keystone to be potion(0x0D),blue shard as the mega stone and set 1/2 to 139 and extra to kyogre(404), and set mega for mudkip to kyogre and revert kyogre to mudkip, but nothing seems to be happening in battle when i let mudkip hold the blue shard and press the start button . i even made potion a key item but it still doesnt work.
                                                  Old August 13th, 2016 (10:35 PM).

Location: Berkeley, California
                                                    Nature: Bold
                                                    Just an appreciation post.
                                                    Thank you.

I'll help this project tangentially by starting to contribute to the emerald Sprite base with Mr Ds and I will try to do some animations if I have time.

Thank you

Quick Reply