• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Favorite Sinnoh Starter?

What's your favorite Sinnoh starter?

• Turtwig

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 24 28.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 27, 2017
When I first played this game (Diamond) I started with Chimchar. It's already 9 years ago so I don't remember much of it. A year ago I started playing Pokémon Platinum which is still my favourite game so far. I started with Turtwig. It was a great team member but around level 40, I wanted another team. I wanted to do something different. Every team of mine was build around my starter. I wanted a team without a starter so I did. Torterra was put off the team at level 40 and I raised a new team. Later I had another Platinum game (first one was on R4DS). I raised a Piplup. I only used this starter the whole game till I could trade the other high leveled Pokémon of the other Platinum game. It came to an Empoleon of level 77. Which is now my favourite starter. I like teams without starters so I have a current full level 100 team and I am still playing to raise some others. My current team is:

Espeon lv. 100
Luxray lv. 100
Garchomp lv. 100
Milotic lv. 100
Charizard lv. 100
Lucario lv. 100

ItzFlame

Pokemon Researcher
Years
In Diamond/Platinum I preferred Chimchar due to the look of him and my adolescent mind thinking "Oooo, punching stuff is cool". Now looking back I would still have to choose Chimchar however due to Monferno's design and how you can almost sweep the entire region save for Cynthia.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jan 25, 2018
I more prefer Turtwig than Chimcar, even that Torterra's stats is the lowest of all the Sinnoh starters He have good defense and could survive Infernape's Flare Blitz and then kill him with earthquake but Torterra is weak against Team Galactic except Houndour and Stunky's evolution line

HM100

HM100 the Techno
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Favorite: Chimchar family and Empoleon.
Spoiler:

Lass Ellie

Ristar
Years
I love Chimchar because it's adorable, and becomes super strong. And beating Roark wouldn't be hard since it's easy to get Chimchar to evolve.

Years
In my first run, I started with Turtwig, but ditched it after the first gym for a Bibarel (don't ask me why, I was young and foolish) . After that, I tried Chimchar and I've never looked back. I like Infernape's design, as well as its good speed, attack and wide coverage.

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
I don't understand why they didn't give Empoleon a typing that could defeat the other two starters. I mean Infernape can use Stab fire moves on Torterra and Stab Ground on Empoleon, Torterra can use Stab Ground moves to destroy Empoleon and Infernape. However, Empoleon can only use Stab super effective water on Infernape. It's water moves are neutral against Torterra which I guess is better than being resisted. It cant use it's Stab steel type moves super effectively against the other types. But I guess that's why Ice Beam is always a viable option to nuke Torterra and Cynthia's Garchomp. Also it's weird that Empoleon cant learn a water recoil damage move. I mean Infernape gets Flare Blitz and Woodhammer for Torterra. And Empoleon cant resist fire type moves as they are neutralized by it's steel typing. Water/Steel is a decent typing but there are so may better steel types like Lucario, Magnezone, Steelix, Bronzong. Plus there are so many better water types as it is the most dominant type in the game.

Anyways, I think Turtwig is my favourite. I love Torterra's move pool and I found it extremely useful during game play. I would never use it in competitive play as it is so slow.

Infernape is probably the best for playing the game as there are limited fire types obtainable in Sinnoh. Thank you Game Freak for giving us three consecutive Fire/Fighting types in a row. It's a good typing but no need for three in a row.

Years
Infernape is probably the best for playing the game as there are limited fire types obtainable in Sinnoh. Thank you Game Freak for giving us three consecutive Fire/Fighting types in a row. It's a good typing but no need for three in a row.

Emboar in 5th Gen was actually the third Fire/Fighting starter final stage, Infernape was the second of those three.

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
Emboar in 5th Gen was actually the third Fire/Fighting starter final stage, Infernape was the second of those three.

I'm aware of that. Should have worded it better. Also, I think Incineroar looks like it should be a Fire/Fighting type as well.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Turtwig is very underrated, powerful attack and def with STAB earthquake (shame about no good physical grass STAB till gen 7 with seed bomb, wood hammer was alright but recoil hurts)

in fact in pokemon reborn (fan game, notoriously hard, pick any starter from gen 1-6 probably 7 in future updates) i picked turtwig and would never have got to the end of the current update without it

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
Infernape is really too similar to Blaziken for me to love it.
I think Pipulp's final evolution looks cool, but its natural moveset is atrocious.
Turtwig has solid moves and a great evolution so it ends up being my favorite just due to utility and decent typing.

Years
Piplup so far.

I do like the three starters but I use more often Piplup beause he a water type ( which I do like a lot) and penguin are always cute so it a plus!

Last edited:
Back