• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Mega Evolution Analysis

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
This would be a weekly or monthly article which explains mega evolution and how each Pokémon changes. The first article would be about how mega evolution works with subsequent articles detailing the change each Pokémon goes through during mega evolution.

This could even be extended to Pokémon with different forms, though then the first article would not be about mega evolution.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
I'm not really sure that this warrants an article, let alone a series.
More specific information about what you want to do would be nice.

Years
Hi! While the idea sounds great on paper, I am not real sure how it could possibly go as a series. What do you plan to talk about in each article to keep it nice and spread out to be a series?

If each article were too short/vague, you could always just keep with what you want to talk about to one article as well.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Hi.

With this in mind, are you going through the actual physical changes a Pokémon goes through during Mega-Evolution, or do you mean on a competitive/battling basis?

I would focus on the physical changes and maybe reference the state changes. For example, "The larger wings allow it to fly at faster speeds."

Hi! While the idea sounds great on paper, I am not real sure how it could possibly go as a series. What do you plan to talk about in each article to keep it nice and spread out to be a series?

If each article were too short/vague, you could always just keep with what you want to talk about to one article as well.

I would focus on one Pokémon and it's mega elvolutions/forms in each article. I could also include forms from fan games to spread it out more. To help find fan game forms to talk about, I can take requests from readers.

So kinda like the science of mega evolution, correct?

I'd +1 it, but I'll see what others voucher.

You got it!

I'm not really sure that this warrants an article, let alone a series.
More specific information about what you want to do would be nice.

I would talk about the physical changes each mega evolution capable Pokémon/Pokémon with different forms goes through during mega evolution/form change. Each article would focus on one Pokémon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Hey! I went ahead and merged your posts to adhere to our double-posting rule.

As mentioned above, I worry about having enough content for this. I think a longer single article or possibly two (probably the XY megas and ORAS megas) should do the trick here.

Also, make sure to give more detail than the Pokédex, and a bit more than common knowledge. Also, give some backup for your facts. Using the larger wings example above, at least explain how we know that it is faster (the obvious answer is a higher Speed stat or something backed up by a Gen 7 PkDex entry). Also I'd love to see some explanation for some aspects of various megas, such as why Mega Gar-Chain-Chomp is slower than its base form.

That said, it would be fun to look at the inspiration and science-y stuff for some of these. I have a ton of questions regarding them as well, so I look forward to having them answered!

SirBoglor

Years
Yeah, I'm honestly not very convinced overall. Had this idea been proposed during the X/Y or ORAS years, I would have liked the idea a lot. Talking about megas in this style just seems too little, too late. They're not nearly as relevant from a reader's perspective anymore.

Anyone else is of course free to disagree, but I'm unfortunately not giving my +1 for this.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Hey! I went ahead and merged your posts to adhere to our double-posting rule.
Sorry, I realized after I already made all of them.

As mentioned above, I worry about having enough content for this. I think a longer single article or possibly two (probably the XY megas and ORAS megas) should do the trick here.
That's probably the best idea, though maybe I'll do another with just pokemon with different forms not mega evolutions as SirBoglor mentioned they aren't as relavant.

Also, make sure to give more detail than the Pokédex, and a bit more than common knowledge. Also, give some backup for your facts. Using the larger wings example above, at least explain how we know that it is faster (the obvious answer is a higher Speed stat or something backed up by a Gen 7 PkDex entry). Also I'd love to see some explanation for some aspects of various megas, such as why Mega Gar-Chain-Chomp is slower than its base form.
I be as thorough as I can, it'll be fun hunting down the information.

Yeah, I'm honestly not very convinced overall. Had this idea been proposed during the X/Y or ORAS years, I would have liked the idea a lot. Talking about megas in this style just seems too little, too late. They're not nearly as relevant from a reader's perspective anymore.

Anyone else is of course free to disagree, but I'm unfortunately not giving my +1 for this.
I understand. Do you think changing it to just alternate forms would be better?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
"alt. forms" is *really* vague.

I guess part of the problem is that the hype train is on Regional Variants now rather than Megas. That said, having an article looking at the inspirations for some of the Alolan Forms might be a good idea, although waiting until November might not be a bad idea on this front. As loathe as I am to make assumptions like this at this stage, I have to agree there is a chance of more regional variants being added in USUM.

I'd be in full support of a well-written article talking about like the reasoning and inspiration for typing, changes in stats, etc. of something though. Just work with the idea a bit more and you should have a fine article. That said, I'm holding my official approval until I see a little closer to a final concept, but you have my full support.

SirBoglor

Years
I for one do not loathe speculation, and do really like the idea of focusing on regional variants rather than megas. Alolan Forms are far more relevant currently and there is a possibility for more of them in the upcoming games.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
While I agree that Alolan forms are the hip and happening thing for this generation - if you want to write more about Mega forms and giving your thoughts on how they work, go for it! It is likely they may have less interest from your average player, but write what you want and the views will be what they are.

If you also want to write about Alolan forms then all good, but I feel Mega forms are fine to write about. If we had articles about e.g. the plot of XY within the last year, we can still talk about old stuff.
Decidueye said:
Combining multiple megas (or Alolan forms) together like that per article sounds sensible to me. We can cross this bridge when you write the draft so we see how long it ends up being too.

I will also comment on this:
Pokemaster623 said:
I would focus on one Pok?mon and it's mega elvolutions/forms in each article. I could also include forms from fan games to spread it out more. To help find fan game forms to talk about, I can take requests from readers.
I'm unsure about the fan game forms aspect, as this potentially overlaps with the Make a Mega series where gimmepie organises PC members to making their own fan-made Mega form already. Likewise there's one for Alolan Forms.

Anyways, that's my feelings. Shall +1 regardless of Alolan or Mega form once you respond to this and the previous two posts. :)

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
I guess part of the problem is that the hype train is on Regional Variants now rather than Megas. That said, having an article looking at the inspirations for some of the Alolan Forms might be a good idea, although waiting until November might not be a bad idea on this front. As loathe as I am to make assumptions like this at this stage, I have to agree there is a chance of more regional variants being added in USUM.
I for one do not loathe speculation, and do really like the idea of focusing on regional variants rather than megas. Alolan Forms are far more relevant currently and there is a possibility for more of them in the upcoming games.
I think I might do two different articles one with the Alolan forms (close to November/when the game releases) and one with megas (closer to now).

I will also comment on this:
I'm unsure about the fan game forms aspect, as this potentially overlaps with the Make a Mega series where gimmepie organises PC members to making their own fan-made Mega form already. Likewise there's one for Alolan Forms.
Yeah ok I won't do that know that I know those exist.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I will go ahead and +1 this, seeing that you're planning to write about the Megas and how they work. Science-y articles for the win! It'd be wonderful to see what you plan to write and contribute to Daily.

Are you going to start off by each Generation (1st, 2nd, etc) or are you going to do by each Mega evo?

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 9, 2017
Are you going to start off by each Generation (1st, 2nd, etc) or are you going to do by each Mega evo?

I'll do it by Generation, but categorize it by region(Gen 1=Kanto, Gen 2=Johto, etc.).

EDIT: If that makes sense.

Back