• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kingmarch: High Fantasy Rooted in FF Lore

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Years
Alright, let's try this again...

Hi there, stranger. Bit of background before I delve down to the good stuff: around two years ago or so, RPT held an event called RP Olympics, and one of its competitions was to create an RP from scratch. Kingmarch was my entry to said event, where it won co-1st place. Since then, a number of people have expressed an interest for the RP to come to fruition. The OP is finished and absolutely ready-to-post, but to be honest, I'm quite unsure if it's a good fit for the RPT (largely due to its size). However, a bit of free time has come up and I'm considering finally posting this behemoth if there's enough interest for it. You can find the RP in the spoiler tags below, but if you're going to give feedback to this thread, there's a number of things I'd specifically like to ask you.

1. Would you feel comfortable with an OP of this size? Should I downsize the OP into several more palatable blurbs over the course of the RP?
2. Are you cool with the RP's ability & magic mechanics? Do you think they should be simplified?
3. If the RP was posted in its current state, would you consider joining it? If not, what changes would make you want to?
4. Due to the humongous size of everything else, I've a mind to set the player limit to seven (I myself won't be participating) so that the RP would be reasonably managable. Do you think I should add or reduce that number?

Obviously you don't have an obligation to answer these questions, but I'd really appreciate it if you did. Any other feedback you'd throw my way would also be welcome.

Spoiler:

Years
Alright well, I'm fairly new to RPing and have never touched anything nearly this rule heavy. Bare all of that in mind with what I have to say.

1) The size is certainly intimidating. If you're going to split it into parts I would recommend a lore blurb and a mechanics blurb and no more. The first time I read through it was a sort of an information overload but then I doubled back and everything started to click. In other words a lot of the information is important for getting a grasp of the other information so it would be best to leave it as cohesive as possible.

2) The ability and magic system is cool once you get your head around it. If I'm understanding correctly the personal skills are entirely of our own creation. This is awesome for the non-magical based classes but I fear that the more magically inclined ones will inevitably invent their own super cool spells leaving all of the base ones underused. That's not a critique of the spells already in the game but more of a gut feeling that people will gravitate towards custom abilities before using what's been provided to them. I could be wrong though!

3) I would be interested in joining.

4) It's hard for me to comment on this but I would say that you probably shouldn't add many more.

This looks really neat. I'll be rooting for it.

A lot of the classes seem to refer to fighting with allies; did you imagine this as primarily being our fellow players or as NPC's that follow our characters around. You've also set up a lot of sides in the political conflict. Is the hope that the players will choose sides? Do you anticipate there being things like PvP? That seems like a natural way for this to head to me.

Years
  • Age 29
  • CET
  • Seen Oct 7, 2021
aah! a Final Fantasy based RP with lore from my favourite two games (and with that the only ones i've really played), FFTA and FFXIV?! i had no idea this had ever been a thing but i am hype beyond measure, haha. to answer your questions...

1. Would you feel comfortable with an OP of this size? Should I downsize the OP into several more palatable blurbs over the course of the RP?

i admit it can come across as intimidating, but i think as long as you give players enough time to become familiar with the setting and your adjustments to it, i actually don't think it's bad to have all the information in one place. i will mention a group chat could be helpful in explaining mechanics to players more directly should they need help with specifics.

2. Are you cool with the RP's ability & magic mechanics? Do you think they should be simplified?

personally, since i've played FFTA, i'm familiar with the mechanics, so i'd be okay with it. i'd worry for how limited the options would become if it was simplified. in my opinion the only thing that could perhaps do with simplification is the Skill System; having so many different ranks (EX+ to D) for their power seems a bit convoluted to me. the difference between a Cura and a Curaga to me is clear, but from a narrative standpoint i might struggle balancing a C+ skill to a C or B- skill. perhaps just use the letters without their +/-, for D: Cure, C: Cura, B: Curaga, and A: Curaja, basically?
however, i do see you already added the ratings for the base skills, and as long as you keep ratings for personal skills in check, i suppose even that is fine as is.

3. If the RP was posted in its current state, would you consider joining it? If not, what changes would make you want to?

heck yes i would! i am slightly worried about the setup of the RP though; is it going to be guided, or wholly sandboxed? it's more of a personal preferences since i'm not very used to sandbox RP, but with a scale of this magnitude, i feel like i'd easily get lost in what to do or where to go ...

4. Due to the humongous size of everything else, I've a mind to set the player limit to seven (I myself won't be participating) so that the RP would be reasonably managable. Do you think I should add or reduce that number?

i think 7 is a good number. though not to be overly pessimistic, but have you given thought to what to do if a player drops (temporarily or not)?

Parivir

Years
I appreciate the input and support, guys. {XD}

1) The size is certainly intimidating. If you're going to split it into parts I would recommend a lore blurb and a mechanics blurb and no more. The first time I read through it was a sort of an information overload but then I doubled back and everything started to click. In other words a lot of the information is important for getting a grasp of the other information so it would be best to leave it as cohesive as possible.

That's a fair point. I had planned to sort of strip down mostly the lore and political conflict quite a bit and leave them for further worldbuilding notes posts or something of the like, but I get that a holistic understanding of the universe (and the size...) of the RP might be necessary before sign-ups are issued. Just for reference, though, if I were to periodically post OOC blurbs like the one in the spoiler tag below over the course of the RP, would you treat them as an important extension of the OP or an optional read?

Spoiler:

2) The ability and magic system is cool once you get your head around it. If I'm understanding correctly the personal skills are entirely of our own creation. This is awesome for the non-magical based classes but I fear that the more magically inclined ones will inevitably invent their own super cool spells leaving all of the base ones underused. That's not a critique of the spells already in the game but more of a gut feeling that people will gravitate towards custom abilities before using what's been provided to them. I could be wrong though!

I'm...not necessarily opposed to a leaning towards custom spells over existing ones? As long as they take into the consideration both the lore (i.e. maybe don't invent new summons?) and the skill rank in doing so. I think it'd be fun to let people go ham in character creation; especially since as a demon knight, people won't really bat an eye if you have access to a relatively different repertoire of spells than your class would normally indicate.

A lot of the classes seem to refer to fighting with allies; did you imagine this as primarily being our fellow players or as NPC's that follow our characters around. You've also set up a lot of sides in the political conflict. Is the hope that the players will choose sides? Do you anticipate there being things like PvP? That seems like a natural way for this to head to me.

It's not really PvP so much as collaborative combat, but with enough room for people to post and interact without having to resort to JPs unless they want to. I'm a bit at a loss on how to describe it accurately, but a decent parallel would be Supervegeta's Pokemon Odyssey series here on the RPT: you enter combat situations with a relatively large number of allies (in this case, the entire Order of Kingmarch), and as the fighting devolves, you may find yourself fighting exclusively alongside NPCs or with other players. I hope that makes sense? {XD}

Regarding the political conflict, I'm planning to tone it down to a more reasonable amount: most likely it would only be a three-way civil war between the twins, Selu, and Ferre, with Archades throwing itself into the mix, which would leave more minor players like Safur Hellewyn and Corcesca Mydir out of the picture. Most of the conflict will only be happening in the background anyway, as the main plotline will be in pursuing these...arcane mysteries involving the scions and whatnot.

aah! a Final Fantasy based RP with lore from my favourite two games (and with that the only ones i've really played), FFTA and FFXIV?! i had no idea this had ever been a thing but i am hype beyond measure, haha. to answer your questions...

Hey, a series veteran! It's cool to see another aficionado of the FFTA titles, they're hella underrated, haha. (Though on that note, I've never really played FFXIV, though I assume there're some cross-title resemblances; I wrote the OP mainly drawing from the FFTA series and FFXII.)

i admit it can come across as intimidating, but i think as long as you give players enough time to become familiar with the setting and your adjustments to it, i actually don't think it's bad to have all the information in one place. i will mention a group chat could be helpful in explaining mechanics to players more directly should they need help with specifics.

I'd be willing to give the group chat a go if people want it, but given the lengthy explanations these questions are bound to elicit, I'm a little worried about its efficacy, haha. That being said, any particular site you'd recommend for this kind of thing?

personally, since i've played FFTA, i'm familiar with the mechanics, so i'd be okay with it. i'd worry for how limited the options would become if it was simplified. in my opinion the only thing that could perhaps do with simplification is the Skill System; having so many different ranks (EX+ to D) for their power seems a bit convoluted to me. the difference between a Cura and a Curaga to me is clear, but from a narrative standpoint i might struggle balancing a C+ skill to a C or B- skill. perhaps just use the letters without their +/-, for D: Cure, C: Cura, B: Curaga, and A: Curaja, basically?
however, i do see you already added the ratings for the base skills, and as long as you keep ratings for personal skills in check, i suppose even that is fine as is.

I think that'd go a long way in simplifying the mechanics, actually. It requires a bit of an overhaul but I might just take you up on that input. Thanks for this, really.

heck yes i would! i am slightly worried about the setup of the RP though; is it going to be guided, or wholly sandboxed? it's more of a personal preferences since i'm not very used to sandbox RP, but with a scale of this magnitude, i feel like i'd easily get lost in what to do or where to go ...

I'd go crazy trying to manage a sandbox this big, haha. It's definitely going to be guided, so you have little to worry about on that front.

i think 7 is a good number. though not to be overly pessimistic, but have you given thought to what to do if a player drops (temporarily or not)?

You...raise a good point. After pondering this for a while, I've come to the following mandate:

If they drop temporarily (for a reasonable amount of time), then their character simply reverts to an NPC until the player comes back. If not, then they get killed off in battle or smth of that nature and the slot opens. If and when someone signs on, they become treated as a member of the Order of Kingmarch who 'inherited' the magicite using some ritual mumbo-jumbo and become part of the demon knights. It's a pretty lame solution, in all honesty, so hopefully it won't come to that, haha.

Last edited:
Years
That's a fair point. I had planned to sort of strip down mostly the lore and political conflict quite a bit and leave them for further worldbuilding notes posts or something of the like, but I get that a holistic understanding of the universe (and the size...) of the RP might be necessary before sign-ups are issued. Just for reference, though, if I were to periodically post OOC blurbs like the one in the spoiler tag below over the course of the RP, would you treat them as an important extension of the OP or an optional read?

I would certainly treat them as important extensions; certainly if they end up being relevant to whatever events/people we may encounter in the upcoming couple of weeks or so.

If you want to shave down the lore a little bit and parse it out I would say it couldn't hurt, especially considering that you're planning on toning down the political conflict.

Years
  • Age 29
  • CET
  • Seen Oct 7, 2021
Just for reference, though, if I were to periodically post OOC blurbs like the one in the spoiler tag below over the course of the RP, would you treat them as an important extension of the OP or an optional read?

especially considering everything that will be posted in this manner is probably knowledge that our characters should already possess, it should definitely be treated as required reading.

Hey, a series veteran! It's cool to see another aficionado of the FFTA titles, they're hella underrated, haha. (Though on that note, I've never really played FFXIV, though I assume there're some cross-title resemblances; I wrote the OP mainly drawing from the FFTA series and FFXII.)

honestly i was mostly thrown off by the image of Shiva, since that was taken directly from FFXIV, the mention of 'Scions', and the 'Occuria' which i interpreted as the XIV Primals, but when i read the rest of the post i realised that was more of an overhype moment on my part, haha. FFTA is the game i have played most by far however - though not much of A2 or War of the Lions, i should really get on those properly sometime - and with FFXII's reboot having been released very recently, that's definitely on my list too.

I'd be willing to give the group chat a go if people want it, but given the lengthy explanations these questions are bound to elicit, I'm a little worried about its efficacy, haha. That being said, any particular site you'd recommend for this kind of thing?

err, in the end i might actually retract that - i don't know how you set up things with the Odyssey crew at all either, i just assumed there was something like that present considering how little use is made of the OOC thread. i'm simply accustomed to the idea because of most RPs around here, but i wouldn't want to suggest something unsuitable for the RP and its GM. regardless if you feel it would be a welcome addition, Discord (whether or not you'd want to use the one affiliated with the RPT) i find useful.

I think that'd go a long way in simplifying the mechanics, actually. It requires a bit of an overhaul but I might just take you up on that input. Thanks for this, really.

I'd go crazy trying to manage a sandbox this big, haha. It's definitely going to be guided, so you have little to worry about on that front.

You...raise a good point. After pondering this for a while, I've come to the following mandate:

If they drop temporarily (for a reasonable amount of time), then their character simply reverts to an NPC until the player comes back. If not, then they get killed off in battle or smth of that nature and the slot opens. If and when someone signs on, they become treated as a member of the Order of Kingmarch who 'inherited' the magicite using some ritual mumbo-jumbo and become part of the demon knights. It's a pretty lame solution, in all honesty, so hopefully it won't come to that, haha.

great! to all of the above, haha. i hope to see this RP come to fruition (:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years

I think it's completely fine for the scope of the rp especially since a lot of the bulk of it seems to be in the different races and classes.

It took me a few seconds to really wrap my head around everything, but I think that's preferred to having it be overly simplified. If someone's going to join in then they should have as thorough an understanding as possible. I believe it also will make for a more constant cast of characters due to the amount of effort it would take for some to comprehend fully the rp as a whole.

Hell yeah. Final Fantasy is one of my most favorite series so I'd definitely be up for it.

I think 6 or 7 is a good number to aim for as a maximum due to the complexity of the rp.

Parivir

Years
Sorry for the late response;

I think it's completely fine for the scope of the rp especially since a lot of the bulk of it seems to be in the different races and classes.

That's true enough, especially since the political intrigue will be considerably downsized come OP time. I just hope people will muster enough patience to get through the size barrier, haha.

It took me a few seconds to really wrap my head around everything, but I think that's preferred to having it be overly simplified. If someone's going to join in then they should have as thorough an understanding as possible. I believe it also will make for a more constant cast of characters due to the amount of effort it would take for some to comprehend fully the rp as a whole.

Also true; my main concern right now is how hard it would be to find a replacement should a player choose to drop out...but I suppose I shouldn't be so quickly pessimistic lol

Hell yeah. Final Fantasy is one of my most favorite series so I'd definitely be up for it.

I think 6 or 7 is a good number to aim for as a maximum due to the complexity of the rp.

Coolbeans, I hope you'll maintain your interest in the next few days haha.

So a quick update: thanks to you guys, I've mustered enough confidence to post the RP soon. The changes I'll be making to the OP will mostly involve the background conflict, which will be more elaborated in blurbs like the one I posted above over the course of the RP. I've eventually decided against simplifying the rank system because I couldn't find the happy medium between power diversity and simplicity, and thus I chose to forgo the latter haha. That being said, even if your skill doesn't fall in the exact rank it should be I'd be willing to let most things slide since it's all subjective anyway. At most,if I feel like you're reaaally stretching it, I'd ask you to decrease the efficacy (e.g. instead of a 30% power boost for 15 minutes, how about a 20% power boost for 10?).

That's all from me for now, guys. I hope to see y'all come sign up time. Cheers!

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
oooo do it I'll totally be keeping tabs on it

you'll officially beat me since I also never posted my RP from that event lmao

I think the size is fine. I've been sitting here multitasking the hell out of everything, and even then getting through this OP is simple and manageable. For the most part, a lot of the information in it is stuff you'll need to know to get into it. Once you do, it's not like you'll need to be constantly reading the OP anyways.​
Simplified? Not necessarily. It seems good as it stands. Personally I prefer a little less rigidity when it comes to skills in RPs. For example, with the Tamer class, it makes sense in a videogame to need to tame new and powerful beasts in order to keep up, but as a RPer, I consider beasts and such that accompany my character as their own characters, so constantly needing to replace them just to feel powerful seems a bit disappointing. This can be gone about in many ways, however, and it is entirely up to personal preference anyways.​
Yep! Probably my only preference is basically what I said in my last response. I'd prefer to have a more organic feel to advancement than would be available in a more videogame-oriented setup, but as it stands, that's still possible within your confines.​
4. Due to the humongous size of everything else, I've a mind to set the player limit to seven (I myself won't be participating) so that the RP would be reasonably manageable. Do you think I should add or reduce that number?
Seven seems like a solid number! For one thing, it seems important lore-wise, lol. Secondly, that's a pretty fair player number for any RP.​

Last edited:

Parivir

Years
oooo do it I'll totally be keeping tabs on it

you'll officially beat me since I also never posted my RP from that event lmao

I think the size is fine. I've been sitting here multitasking the hell out of everything, and even then getting through this OP is simple and manageable. For the most part, a lot of the information in it is stuff you'll need to know to get into it. Once you do, it's not like you'll need to be constantly reading the OP anyways.​
Simplified? Not necessarily. It seems good as it stands. Personally I prefer a little less rigidity when it comes to skills in RPs. For example, with the Tamer class, it makes sense in a videogame to need to tame new and powerful beasts in order to keep up, but as a RPer, I consider beasts and such that accompany my character as their own characters, so constantly needing to replace them just to feel powerful seems a bit disappointing. This can be gone about in many ways, however, and it is entirely up to personal preference anyways.​
Yep! Probably my only preference is basically what I said in my last response. I'd prefer to have a more organic feel to advancement than would be available in a more videogame-oriented setup, but as it stands, that's still possible within your confines.​
4. Due to the humongous size of everything else, I've a mind to set the player limit to seven (I myself won't be participating) so that the RP would be reasonably manageable. Do you think I should add or reduce that number?
Seven seems like a solid number! For one thing, it seems important lore-wise, lol. Secondly, that's a pretty fair player number for any RP.​

Absolutely; the reason why I was so keen on posting this RP to begin with was to explore Ivalice in ways that would be impossible with the RPG mechanics in place: the classes would never be of relatively equal strength, the spell repertoire is always rigid, etc. Certainly if you intend to play as a Tamer and would like to keep the same beasts throughout the duration of the RP, you have my full blessings, haha.

That being said, I do appreciate the boost of confidence, my fellow champion (lol). The OP has been posted over at Casting; hope to see you there!

let me also tag the others real quick;

Back