• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Was finally thinking of going forward and downloading all the required stuff to play the current beta, but of course, my antivirus does not like with the silver rom or the hack. Ha ha. I don't suppose you have a copy of all the text in the game for editing purposes?
Nope. But if you join Dark Energy server in Discord (or simply find me there), you can contact me there.

I have ini-files for a tool called Poketext which can load text data from various parts of the rom file. Those ini-files should cover way over 95% of the in-game text. With Poketext and the ini-files, you could thus view the in-game text. Also I should be able to get you the hack to play via some means as well.

But yeah... fixing grammar is not my top priority thing to do, but if there is bad grammar out there (and by bad I mean worse than just the order of words in a sentence being incorrect, or there being similar minor issues out there), I can naturally handle that once I know what to change and how.

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
Pokemon Dark Energy Beta 5.01 is out!

This release doesn't have any other changes, but it removes the bug that caused the game to freeze played on My OldBoy emulator in player's room. Some new features have been in development along the way though, but I intentionally left them out of this bug fix release.

Last edited:

Murderlinez3

Shiny Scyther
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 26, 2022
Dear miksy,

How far goes this beta?:)

It is a very interesting and nice game, I love 2nd generation games :)

miksy91

Years
Dear miksy,

How far goes this beta?:)

It is a very interesting and nice game, I love 2nd generation games :)
Hi,
The hack is probably around 70% done (yet it will take me a few years to complete it I believe). The main quest is quite long as it is, and the length is comparable to original games by Gamefreak. And along with the main quest, you can spend plenty of time working on different sidequests if you like.

New patch crashes on startup. Used VBA-M, bgb, mGBA, and no&gba.
There shouldn't be any issues with it. Are you sure you patched it over a non-modified Pokemon Silver (U) rom file?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Hi,
There shouldn't be any issues with it. Are you sure you patched it over a non-modified Pokemon Silver (U) rom file?

Honestly, after trying a few other hacks after posting that, I believe it's a problem with my laptop, it's having problems lately. I'll try this hack out somewhere else later and see if that's the problem.

Murderlinez3

Shiny Scyther
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 26, 2022
Dear Miksy,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Keep on with that good working, I am sure these hack will be hoty some day :)

darklugia2010

darklugia2010
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 16, 2024
does anyone know if in the beta 5 version is there an option to play as the male or female trainer. the last time I played this game it was only male before, but I haven't played this game in a long time. the reason why I say both male/female is because of the banner picture that misky91 has which shows both the male and female's back sprites.

miksy91

Years
Dear Miksy,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Keep on with that good working, I am sure these hack will be hoty some day :)
Thanks :) I'm not so sure about HotY, and I don't care much about it for that matter either. But I would like to see more people trying Dark Energy out. There are plenty of pokemon hack players out there who most likely ignore DE just because it's a gen II rom hack. At the same time, DE has also become a very good rom hack, and would definitely be an interesting gaming experience for most of them.

does anyone know if in the beta 5 version is there an option to play as the male or female trainer. the last time I played this game it was only male before, but I haven't played this game in a long time. the reason why I say both male/female is because of the banner picture that misky91 has which shows both the male and female's back sprites.
Good guess! I could say that you got almost a "bingo" there.

Beta 5.01 forces you to use the main, male character all the way from the beginning to the end of the beta. This will however change for the upcoming releases.

Back in 2013 or so, I had already implemented a way for modifying the battle sprite and palette used by the main character if certain gameshark codes were applied. There was a possibility to change the look of the main character to that of Oscar (boy traveling with you), or the Ashlyn (the girl you can see in the banner in my signature). The initial plan was to force the player to play as Oscar and Ashlyn during a segment that will be introduced in beta 6.
My current plan is to keep that segment around, but also give the player the option to select the main character used at different times. This feature has already been implemented and I might upload a video demoing it later this Spring / Summer. The plan is also to include this feature in upcoming improved beta 5, beta 5.10.
The reason I can't release beta 5.10 yet though is because of the fact that there are various parts of the game which would be played out in a strange way if no additional scripting was done. At the moment In the rom file I'm developing, you could for example approach Cactus' mom as Oscar, talk to her and she would react like it was Cactus talking to her. This wouldn't make any sense, and thus I'll try to cover such situations with additional scripting to make the game feel more natural.

And eventually once I get these "problems" solved and beta 5.10 released, I can continue developing the hack further in terms of story development :)

darklugia2010

darklugia2010
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 16, 2024
Thanks :) I'm not so sure about HotY, and I don't care much about it for that matter either. But I would like to see more people trying Dark Energy out. There are plenty of pokemon hack players out there who most likely ignore DE just because it's a gen II rom hack. At the same time, DE has also become a very good rom hack, and would definitely be an interesting gaming experience for most of them.

Good guess! I could say that you got almost a "bingo" there.

Beta 5.01 forces you to use the main, male character all the way from the beginning to the end of the beta. This will however change for the upcoming releases.

Back in 2013 or so, I had already implemented a way for modifying the battle sprite and palette used by the main character if certain gameshark codes were applied. There was a possibility to change the look of the main character to that of Oscar (boy traveling with you), or the Ashlyn (the girl you can see in the banner in my signature). The initial plan was to force the player to play as Oscar and Ashlyn during a segment that will be introduced in beta 6.
My current plan is to keep that segment around, but also give the player the option to select the main character used at different times. This feature has already been implemented and I might upload a video demoing it later this Spring / Summer. The plan is also to include this feature in upcoming improved beta 5, beta 5.10.
The reason I can't release beta 5.10 yet though is because of the fact that there are various parts of the game which would be played out in a strange way if no additional scripting was done. At the moment In the rom file I'm developing, you could for example approach Cactus' mom as Oscar, talk to her and she would react like it was Cactus talking to her. This wouldn't make any sense, and thus I'll try to cover such situations with additional scripting to make the game feel more natural.

And eventually once I get these "problems" solved and beta 5.10 released, I can continue developing the hack further in terms of story development :)

That's so cool and awesome at the same time. I might play the current beta and give my thoughts on how it is. anyways keep up the good work on the progress of this game cause I want to see how it turns out when it's completed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
Where do I find the other elemental orbs? I have the one from the icy cave, the green one from the north and the one in the dark cave.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Pokemon Dark Energy Beta 5.01 is out!

This release doesn't have any other changes, but it removes the bug that caused the game to freeze played on My OldBoy emulator in player's room. Some new features have been in development along the way though, but I intentionally left them out of this bug fix release.

thanks

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Miksy,

I want to wish you good luck on Beta 6. Hope all goes well for you on it. Btw, are you ever planning to come back on Discord sometime, or do you not have any plans on doing that?

Years
Okay so I have all pages except the last one and that's the Neal page but I've beaten him 6 times and I've received nothing? Has it changed locations in beta 5 or am I doing something wrong?
Help please!
Also I adore this game so much!

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
Most of the Pokemon let's players, Nuzlockers, and Poketubers, are more focused on the "scandal" of Gamefreak with Pokemon Sword and Shield. Sadly, not much time for any romhack, unless it is a Pokemon Sword and Shield romhack in any shape or form.

Since there aren't alot of major Poketubers even glancing at this excellent Gen 2 Silver romhack (one of the only ones), perhaps everyone can check out my nuzlocke run of this hack, of the updated Beta 5 of Pokemon Dark Energy. See how the creator of Blue Kaizo, and all the other Kaizo hacks goes through the game.

I promise to make this series as engaging and entertaining as possible, with some custom main character overheads if necessary. As much as I can.

SHF's odessey of darkness begins here.

Here is my full playlist of Pokemon Dark Energy (Beta 5):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSmdLWleGD_pzn8Wi0WXjnaXQNI42vzei

Here is my latest video:

If anyone has questions about the next parts, I am a bit more active on twitter. I will also include updated Showcase videos, with more video detail. I am also cataloging my adventure on Skeetendo, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 hacking forum.

https://hax.iimarckus.org/post/48079/

Subscribing to my channel, leaving likes, hitting the bell notification, and sharing my Pokemon Dark Energy Nuzlocke videos will certainly make this hack well known. Though I would like the hack to be completed before it gets really well known, so a simple subscription, like, and comment would be sufficient enough to keep less mainstream, and more cult classic.

Or just let me know what you think of these videos.

Years
Such nostalgic feelings..😢 words cannot describe the way im feeling to see this back in action...i truly love this game more than my gf.. anyways leaving my emotion aside, from what ive read, the current version is beta 5 and its 70% complete right? So if i start playing now will i b able to keep save files as u keep updating till the final version?

miksy91

Years
Miksy,

I want to wish you good luck on Beta 6. Hope all goes well for you on it. Btw, are you ever planning to come back on Discord sometime, or do you not have any plans on doing that?
Everything is well :) And thank you!

I could come back, but I really don't feel like spending that much time hanging around. Plenty of other stuff in life besides rom hacking.

Okay so I have all pages except the last one and that's the Neal page but I've beaten him 6 times and I've received nothing? Has it changed locations in beta 5 or am I doing something wrong?
Help please!
Also I adore this game so much!
Sorry! One month late here to reply, but in beta 4, you were supposed to get a Page from Neal, but that's no longer the case in beta 5. I'm pretty sure I know which Page you are / were missing, but you'll eventually receive the Page by playing further unless you have already acquired it :)

Good to hear you really liked playing my hack!

Most of the Pokemon let's players, Nuzlockers, and Poketubers, are more focused on the "scandal" of Gamefreak with Pokemon Sword and Shield. Sadly, not much time for any romhack, unless it is a Pokemon Sword and Shield romhack in any shape or form.

Since there aren't alot of major Poketubers even glancing at this excellent Gen 2 Silver romhack (one of the only ones), perhaps everyone can check out my nuzlocke run of this hack, of the updated Beta 5 of Pokemon Dark Energy. See how the creator of Blue Kaizo, and all the other Kaizo hacks goes through the game.

I promise to make this series as engaging and entertaining as possible, with some custom main character overheads if necessary. As much as I can.

SHF's odessey of darkness begins here.

Here is my full playlist of Pokemon Dark Energy (Beta 5):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSmdLWleGD_pzn8Wi0WXjnaXQNI42vzei

Here is my latest video:

If anyone has questions about the next parts, I am a bit more active on twitter. I will also include updated Showcase videos, with more video detail. I am also cataloging my adventure on Skeetendo, the Gen 1 and Gen 2 hacking forum.

https://hax.iimarckus.org/post/48079/

Subscribing to my channel, leaving likes, hitting the bell notification, and sharing my Pokemon Dark Energy Nuzlocke videos will certainly make this hack well known. Though I would like the hack to be completed before it gets really well known, so a simple subscription, like, and comment would be sufficient enough to keep less mainstream, and more cult classic.

Or just let me know what you think of these videos.
I've personally taken an eye at your videos :D
But yes.. go and check out SinisterHoodedFigure's DE or other videos if you like. And more popularity towards DE would definitely be appreciated. I personally think this is one of the most engaging pokemon rom hacks out there (and not saying that just because I like my own hack, but from the fact that it's simply true). Being a software developer helps if you want to make a fun hack to play.

Such nostalgic feelings..😢 words cannot describe the way im feeling to see this back in action...i truly love this game more than my gf..
Hahha, thanks! :laugh-squinted:
Perhaps you shouldn't tell her the same thing though? :D

anyways leaving my emotion aside, from what ive read, the current version is beta 5 and its 70% complete right? So if i start playing now will i b able to keep save files as u keep updating till the final version?
It's probably around 70% done, yes. I will try to maintain the possibility to use beta 5.01 saves in upcoming beta releases. But I can't promise I will be able to maintain that possibility. The thing is that I like to improve this and that which I have previously implemented, and sometimes those improvements break the possibility of a save file of a previous version to work properly with that or further events.

What comes to updates to the hack itself - I haven't managed to do that much lately. But I did work on the hack earlier this week! And I'll try to eventually release an improved beta 5.10 with support for using all three main characters. The functionality for that is already done, but there are plenty of events that need to be worked out in order for the game to play out properly. It for example wouldn't make much sense if you used your friend from the university, went to Player's house and Player's mom would think the friend was her son.

Back