The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Video Games DCC

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #251    
Old February 10th, 2013 (4:03 PM).
machomuu's Avatar
machomuu machomuu is offline
Appyh Ctobero
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Americalanavania
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 10,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
It's understandable if you're proud to be part of the Video Games industry, but alas my interest in this hobby is weakening the more I grow up, and thus it's why I lean to the more casual, arcade-y or classic games. It does make me way more appreciative to certain games though. (Rhythm Heaven Fever being a big one.)


Dammit, that makes me sound like an old geezer when I'm only 16.
I understand how you feel, I've watched as the gaming industry has fluctuated for many years, and I at one point my interest started to wane. However, in recent years, my yearning for better games and my hope for revolution have risen to new heights. I don't really know why I changed, maybe it's because I got into reviewing or because my ambition to become a game developer and revolutionize the industry myself grew, but I've been having more fun in recent years.

Quote:
Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.
I completely agree with you, there is no other system that I love more than the PS2, and I regard it as the greatest system of all time because of it. It is a shame that gaming has degenerated to the point that it has, but as I always say, there's always hope. I feel that, as time goes on, the whole "rehash tactic" is becoming more and more stale with the consumer. I remember a few days ago, I heard some core gamers talking about how CoD was getting boring, even saying that they wouldn't buy the next one. That made me smile. I've noticed that, slowly but surely, the core and casual gamers are growing tires of this "minimal effort" tactic by publishers such as EA and Activision, and more, that "niche" titles like Persona 4 Golden, Ni no Kuni, and various other titles are getting attention from those that previously wouldn't have batted an eye at them, and I think that this could mean great things for the industry.

I mean, it's not that I want CoD to die, I liked 1-4 because back then the games had engaging stories as well as engaging multiplayers, but now all it does it tell developers that they can do as little as possible and charge as much as possible. If the consumer changes, however, then Infinity Ward and Treyarch will be forced to innovate, and the games that people loved would rise from the ashes.

---

Also, if you guys don't mind, I just posted my review of .Hack//G.U. - Rebirth, and I'd be happy if you guys would read it. It took way longer than I expected to write.
__________________
Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
  #252    
Old February 10th, 2013 (4:06 PM). Edited February 10th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
Spinosaurus's Avatar
Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Posts: 4,572
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
    Since we're still on the topic, I have to say that having a PC feels more right then anything, because after experiencing the best the PS2/Xbox generation can offer, I just bought a PS2 a couple of years ago and I'm only 20 games of like 60-70, I feel like there is no justification for the current state of gaming, and I feel more in tune with why a lot of people will go for PC instead of the next consoles. Bar the racing genre which is a beast of a genre compared to last gen, there is no genre out there that has otherwise evolved, perhaps maybe sandbox games. Everything was basically perfected on the PS2 if you go by all the other genres that are for this gen. RPGs? PS2 easily has the best of all time, alongside the DS. Action/Adventure? Beyond good and Evil, DMC3, The Jak trilogy, the Sly Trilogy, Maximo, Rygar, etc all were shining examples. Shooters? Well this gen certainly did have a lot of em, but did they really go far? I mean seriously, you had Psy-ops, Timesplitters, all those bond games, Black which was MW before MW, Syphon Filter, etc. Horror is as good as dead on consoles, with indie PC efforts making more splashes. I truly do not want to buy any console other then Nintendo's own from here on out, not because it would be cheaper as I was considering in 2006, but cause there's no reason too, as of now, when I see why so many were disappointed with the consoles. Sure things picked up, but they picked up too slowly for many, and next gen is going to continue with this subpar route for god knows how long.
    Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

    Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformers were Wario Land 4, Mario vs Donkey Kong and the 2 surprisingly great Crash Bandicoot games. (Mind you, I haven't played DK: King of Swings but if Jungle Climber is anything to go by I'm sure it's pretty good, but really gimmicky.) Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all. Also, don't get me started on Sonic...
    __________________

    Twitter - Tumblr
      #253    
    Old February 10th, 2013 (4:16 PM).
    Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
    Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
    I like kitties
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lax
    Posts: 2,742
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
    Actually, fighters and platformers this generation completely trump last gen's. The former was completely scarce and basically dead until Street Fighter 4 decided to roll in and revive the genre in 2009. I mean, sure you got Tekken, and while Tag Tournament was a great PS2 launch game, 4 was disappointing. 5 got a port later on the PS3/360 with online that ultimately made it the definitive version. That said actually, online was also a huge part in the genre's return.

    Good platformers were pretty much rare last gen however. The GBA was the only viable hardware if you wanted good platformers, but most of them were ports, and the only notable original platformer was Wario Land 4. Sony's PS2 platformers (Jak, Sly and Ratchet) were way gimmicky and really felt more action than platformer. Mario Sunshine was better but it still was gimmicky and didn't meet the bar that 64 set. The other platformer the GCN had, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (second best platformer last gen behind WL4), was a combo rhythm-based platformer that was designed around bongos. Xbox had no notable platformers at all.
    Yeah forgot fighting which was also top of this gen, I'm not gonna deny it. The GBA comment though...the hell? Drill Dozer, the two Klonoa's, Megaman Zero 1-4, Kirby Return to Dremland and a whole slew of other games which were 100% new are on it. I dunno what GBA you owned, but it killed when it came to 2D platforming goodness. And more action then platformer still makes it a platformer if you're running around, jumping from place to place. There's a reason why action-platformers exists.
    __________________

    #328 Trapinch
    Supporter Collab January 2015
    Doctor Who Fan Club


      #254    
    Old February 10th, 2013 (4:28 PM).
    Spinosaurus's Avatar
    Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2009
      Posts: 4,572
      I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.

      The PS2 platformers were rather...eh. I like them, don't get me wrong, but Jak 1 aside they're often regarded as action/adventure games, and that's really their big strength, because their platforming is often subpar. No one is gonna remember them as platformers, just because it has platforming. Going back to an example above, it's like calling a Metroid game a platformer because you jump on platformers but that's really not what the series is about at all, or calling Skyrm a first person shooter.
      __________________

      Twitter - Tumblr
        #255    
      Old February 10th, 2013 (4:39 PM).
      machomuu's Avatar
      machomuu machomuu is offline
      Appyh Ctobero
       
      Join Date: Apr 2008
      Location: Americalanavania
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 10,366
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
      I never played Drill Dozer since I live in Europe, didn't even know Klonoa had games on the GBA (it's an obscure series, notice how I said "notable"), if we're gonna count Megaman Zero, which was more action/shooter than platformer, then we might as well count Metroid, and Kirby's strength isn't platforming. Also edited my comment to add three GBA platformers that I forgot about. It still doesn't change the fact the best of GBA's platformers were on the SNES anyway.
      Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.
      __________________
      Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


      I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
        #256    
      Old February 10th, 2013 (4:45 PM).
      Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
      Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
      I like kitties
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 2,742
      Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
      Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
      Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.
      __________________

      #328 Trapinch
      Supporter Collab January 2015
      Doctor Who Fan Club


        #257    
      Old February 10th, 2013 (4:49 PM).
      machomuu's Avatar
      machomuu machomuu is offline
      Appyh Ctobero
       
      Join Date: Apr 2008
      Location: Americalanavania
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 10,366
      I haven't played much of Klanoa for the GBA, but one of my most nostalgic games is Klanoa 2 for the PS2. I just remember buying it one day because it looked interesting and then playing it over and over again for years, I absolutely loved that game as a child.
      __________________
      Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


      I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
        #258    
      Old February 10th, 2013 (4:55 PM).
      Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
      Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
      I like kitties
       
      Join Date: Jan 2013
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 2,742
      I'm playing the ever living crap out of it right now, that's why I'm suddenly reminded of the GBA ones, haha I actually played them when they came out almost a decade ago, and Klonoa 2 made that little light bulb in my head go off. Easy game, might be a bit short, but the 150+ gem collecting in every level for concept art is gonna have me glued to it. Also thinking about getting Pacman World 2 for no reason whatsoever other than nostalgia. That game was fun.
      __________________

      #328 Trapinch
      Supporter Collab January 2015
      Doctor Who Fan Club


        #259    
      Old February 11th, 2013 (2:22 AM).
      Athelstan's Avatar
      Athelstan Athelstan is offline
      Odin
       
      Join Date: Jul 2008
      Location: Valhalla
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Jolly
      Posts: 3,317
      Pacman is one of my all-time favorites; although the only one I've played is the original version. I should really get to trying Pacman 2 and such, apparently there is a Mrs. Pacman game so I might wanna check that out. :3
      __________________

        #260    
      Old February 11th, 2013 (3:13 AM).
      Spinosaurus's Avatar
      Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
         
        Join Date: Apr 2009
        Posts: 4,572
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
        Megaman Zero is classified as an Action Platformer, and that's really what Megaman as a whole is because...well, the platforming is almost as much as, if not more of, a threat to the player than the actual enemies are.
        Is that so? I was under the impression that it was an action sidescroller with some platforming from what I saw and played, but I only played bits of the first game and I never felt the platforming was anything threatening unlike the original Mega Man games. Maybe the platforming gets dangerous later on but eh.
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
        Deleted my previous post, cause Machomuu made me look stupid for bringing Megaman up, but not sticking to it cause of what he stated. The platforming bits are indeed more dangerous then the enemies, cause that stuff needs to be pixel perfect, or its the spike pit for you. And while Klonoa is obscure, viable originality does exist within it, if you are looking for great platformers:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYESiOV0suY
        Early levels, as the description states, which is why it looks easy. It gets harder, as also stated. Some of the stuff before the 5th boss, man...
        Another good example is Super Monkey Ball Jr. Not too hard, a lot of new levels, and the game is as hard as the console version.
        Even if it's a solid platformer (I have no doubt it is), it's still obscure and only few probably know about it. I was hesitant of mentioning the Crash platformers myself until I remembered they were released not long after the PS1 games so Crash was still as big and relevant as he was at that time. I mean, I'm sure there are other great platformers last gen I don't know of, but when I think of the big names I think of nothing. (Wario Land is in the end is still a B-tier Nintendo franchise and Mario vs Donkey Kong didn't get any recognition.) I may have perhaps misworded my previous post and should have mentioned the popularity of brands. Either way, my point still stands that platformers this gen was way better than last gen's, ports or not.
        __________________

        Twitter - Tumblr
          #261    
        Old February 11th, 2013 (4:33 AM).
        Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
        Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
        I like kitties
         
        Join Date: Jan 2013
        Age: 25
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 2,742
        Platformers this gen were the Mario Galaxy games, Cave Story, and Mutant Mudds? That's all I can say if we're going strictly by popularity, and even then its a poor performance outside of Nintendo.
        __________________

        #328 Trapinch
        Supporter Collab January 2015
        Doctor Who Fan Club


          #262    
        Old February 11th, 2013 (6:40 AM). Edited February 11th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
        Spinosaurus's Avatar
        Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
           
          Join Date: Apr 2009
          Posts: 4,572
          Galaxy + Mario 3D land alone are huge, but let's not forget about the huge revival of 2D Mario with the four New Super Mario games. Donkey Kong Country Returns was also a big one and is widely regarded as one of the best 2D platformers. There are also Wario Land: Shake It!, Super Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island DS, which were pretty decent, same for Super Princess Peach and DK: Jungle Climber.

          Outside of Nintendo, we got Super Meat Boy which is very highly praised. Rayman Origins and Legends are also often seen as instant classics. LBP is a huge one, too, given its popularity. Sonic this generation went to the right direction with some solid games (Rush, Colors and Generation). Weren't Megaman 9 and 10 also from this gen? I've heard they're pretty amazing.

          When it comes to 2D platformers this gen exploded with some very high quality titles. It's only 3D left in the dust (at least there's Epic Mickey, right?), but I'm sure Galaxy alone satisfied needs. Though, let's not forget the next 3D Mario is due this year or the next one, if you want to count Wii U as this gen.
          __________________

          Twitter - Tumblr
            #263    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (6:45 AM).
          Athelstan's Avatar
          Athelstan Athelstan is offline
          Odin
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Valhalla
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,317
          Galaxy was amazing; but then again, so were all the other Mario games. Mariokart is huge, I remember it was massive on the Wii and the DS a couple years back and now greatness is thrown back into our lives with MK7!

          Sonic I also enjoyed as a platform game, different to the other games back when it was made. And yeah Spino, I think the Megaman's were from this gen.
          __________________

            #264    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (9:02 AM).
          Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
          Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
          I like kitties
           
          Join Date: Jan 2013
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Lax
          Posts: 2,742
          Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.
          __________________

          #328 Trapinch
          Supporter Collab January 2015
          Doctor Who Fan Club


            #265    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (12:19 PM).
          machomuu's Avatar
          machomuu machomuu is offline
          Appyh Ctobero
           
          Join Date: Apr 2008
          Location: Americalanavania
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 10,366
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
          Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach in all honesty were mediocre efforts at best. Fun, but a bit dull after a while. Sonic on the other hand was indeed great this gen, Colors and Generations hit a certain high point, and the rush games were pretty fun. So I guess you could say platformers shined this gen, but something was still missing. That something hopefully is whatever started these last years and is continued through the next gen now that more developers are on terra firma when it comes to making games.
          Sonic was okay, I'd say. I mean, yeah, it had Generations and Colors, but this generation also had the motherload of bad Sonic games, most notably '06. Well, I wouldn't say "okay", but it's been one heck of a roller coaster with the seventh generation.

          Also, I noticed that you listed Mutant Mudds as last generation (the 7th gen: 360, DS, Wii, PS3, and PSP), but it's an eighth generation title. Same with Super Mario 3D.
          __________________
          Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


          I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
            #266    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (1:25 PM).
          Athelstan's Avatar
          Athelstan Athelstan is offline
          Odin
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Valhalla
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,317
          Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.
          __________________

            #267    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (1:38 PM).
          machomuu's Avatar
          machomuu machomuu is offline
          Appyh Ctobero
           
          Join Date: Apr 2008
          Location: Americalanavania
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 10,366
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Pave Low View Post
          Sonic being okay? I must disagree with you there. The "bad" games weren't all that bad, they were still fun. Generations and Colors really worked, great games.
          I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

          ...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.
          __________________
          Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


          I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
            #268    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (1:44 PM).
          Athelstan's Avatar
          Athelstan Athelstan is offline
          Odin
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Valhalla
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,317
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
          I think "bad" games being not all that bad would qualify as being "okay"; after all, every game is susceptible to being just "okay", no matter how prominent they are.

          ...But I'd definitely say that '06 was bad.
          But then added with with the other Sonic games in the generation it still adds up to a great set of games. Nonetheless, I was just stating that the games you mentioned in Sonic "bad" were actually not bad...but I wouldn't rank them with other games that are susceptible to be "okay". They are better than that. After all, we all have our own opinion on games, and this is mine.

          I haven't actually seen this question proposed or answered much; but who is your favorite Sonic character? I'd have to go with Knuckles. He is just amazing, and came in very handy running the 400m in M&S @ The Olympic Games.
          __________________

            #269    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (1:45 PM).
          .EJ's Avatar
          .EJ .EJ is offline
          everything is purple
           
          Join Date: Feb 2009
          Location: FL
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 1,606
          The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset. Sonic '06 is a terrible game full of glitches, bad physics, and unfair sequences. The subsequent games weren't all that good either...the only exceptions being Colors and Generations, so yea I'd agree Sonic was simply okay this generation.

          I'm a huge Sonic fan~
          __________________
          Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
            #270    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (1:54 PM).
          Athelstan's Avatar
          Athelstan Athelstan is offline
          Odin
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Valhalla
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,317
          It's fair to agree and I see your point. It's just even though given the bad reviews, I still really enjoyed these games and didn't mind any of the flaws they had; although agreeably '06 had quite a few.
          __________________

            #271    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (2:07 PM).
          .EJ's Avatar
          .EJ .EJ is offline
          everything is purple
           
          Join Date: Feb 2009
          Location: FL
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 1,606
          To be honest, I had fun with Sonic '06 but objectively speaking the game was crap and it was broken as hell. It's all good though; I still got Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on standby if I want a wee-bit of nostalgia.
          __________________
          Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
            #272    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (2:19 PM).
          Athelstan's Avatar
          Athelstan Athelstan is offline
          Odin
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Valhalla
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 3,317
          I always find it nice to go back to the old, classic games of Mario/Sonic. Really makes me feel like a 6-year-old, since those are the sort of games I played back then. 'Twas a good year in my life. :3
          __________________

            #273    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (2:32 PM). Edited February 11th, 2013 by machomuu.
          machomuu's Avatar
          machomuu machomuu is offline
          Appyh Ctobero
           
          Join Date: Apr 2008
          Location: Americalanavania
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 10,366
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
          The problem here lies in fun =/= good. You can pretty much enjoy any game given the right mindset.
          I was just about to say this! Still, there's nothing wrong with liking or having fun with bad games. Heck, since I became interested in reviewing, I've played quite a few bad games and not all of them were torture. I had some fun with Cheetahmen, as well as Operation Darkness, to name a few.

          Speaking of that, if you guys find Operation Darkness for a cheap price, you should give it a try. It makes quite a few missteps but still provides some fun, especially to those who are Strategy fans.
          __________________
          Paired to and madly in love with a literal Symphony of legs.


          I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
            #274    
          Old February 11th, 2013 (2:57 PM).
          Evil Stud Muffin's Avatar
          Evil Stud Muffin Evil Stud Muffin is offline
          I like kitties
           
          Join Date: Jan 2013
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Lax
          Posts: 2,742
          Its that WW2 RPG from Atlus right? Never had a go at it, but it looks fun. Another b-rate game that is absolutely amazing is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Its almost so b-rate that its likely intentional, and I love how the game progresses.
          __________________

          #328 Trapinch
          Supporter Collab January 2015
          Doctor Who Fan Club


            #275    
          Old February 12th, 2013 (2:39 AM). Edited February 12th, 2013 by Spinosaurus.
          Spinosaurus's Avatar
          Spinosaurus Spinosaurus is offline
             
            Join Date: Apr 2009
            Posts: 4,572
            Sonic 2006 is the only game I completed that I can safely say was pure dog feces. OK, maybe not completed, but I did beat the final level because my brother hilariously gave up and it was awful. I do not want to touch that game ever again.

            It's not even just the gameplay that's bad. (It's comparable to Sonic Adventure which was not as bad but still pretty bad.) The writing, presentation, story and the new characters were all pretty cringe-worthy. :( Level design and quest design make me want to rip my head off too. The only thing GOOD about the game that I can even think of was it's music, but it was forgettable because the game makes you want to forget about everything related to it.

            And curse you, I liked Super Princess Peach! Though I haven't played it for a long time so I want to give it another spin after I play Densetsu no Starfy 3 which is from the same developer. You know one game that is mediocre on the DS though? Wario: Master of Disguise. I think my bias towards Wario really shows off when I say I actually personally like it, but there are way too many flaws about it. So I guess that's one bad game (I'd like to say mediocre, instead, since the concept of the game is really nice) I like. The other guilty pleasures of mine are Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Land and the DS remake of Mario 64. (Looove them. <3 Super Mario Land was my first Mario game!)

            Quote:
            I always find it nice to go back to the old, classic games of Mario/Sonic. Really makes me feel like a 6-year-old, since those are the sort of games I played back then. 'Twas a good year in my life. :3
            Fun fact, I actually thought those who preferred 2D sonic back then were nostalgia people. Guess what happened when I played Sonic 2 for the first time? Favorite Sonic game. I started Sonic with Sonic Heroes, if you're curious.

            Quote:
            Another b-rate game that is absolutely amazing is Disaster: Day of Crisis. Its almost so b-rate that its likely intentional, and I love how the game progresses.
            I know nothing about Disaster besides hearing about how good it is but I want it just so I don't regret it later when I move back to an NTSC region. The only other PAL-only (NTSC-J aside) game I have is Another Code R (brilliant), and I guess The Last Window. (but it's region-free so it doesn't count.) I also have some games that never made it to PAL land like Trauma Team, Mario Super Sluggers, MLB 2K12 and Jake Hunter, and probably some more I'm forgetting.

            Only Japan-only game I have though is Rhythm Tengoku.
            __________________

            Twitter - Tumblr
            Closed Thread

            Quick Reply

            Join the conversation!

            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

            Create a PokéCommunity Account
            Thread Tools

            Posting Rules
            You may not post new threads
            You may not post replies
            You may not post attachments
            You may not edit your posts

            BB code is On
            Smilies are On
            [IMG] code is On
            HTML code is Off

            Forum Jump


            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:57 AM.