The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Off-Topic
Video Games DCC

Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2013 (9:01 AM).
It's... kinda effective?

Nature: Quiet
RA2/YR is pretty heavily modded.

I've played a lot of mods for it - Mental Omega, Robot Storm, Code Red, YR apocalypse, Purple Alert and a bunch I'm forgetting - but my favorite was Purple Alert.

I really wish that RS would get a update though. It's such a nice mod... except it hasn't been updated in almost 4 years.

Edit - Imo, RTS games are the most heavily modded games.
Old July 29th, 2013 (9:36 AM).

As a PC gamer, mods are one of the top reasons I do use PC. When it comes to Skyrim for example, I consider myself extremely involved in the modding community. Having made mods for Skyrim, as well as having used and installed over 400 (only about 100 on at a time), it's safe to say I enjoy them quite a bit. On top of that, obviously PC has it's advantages in many other ways.

Looking above to your video you linked Pave Low, while the game does look extremely stunning, I just couldn't deal with that FPS loss. Which is what concerns me with some modders these days. While it's favourable to make your game look good, it's actually important to make it playable. Even with their very decent rig, there's so much FPS loss that to me, the game would be unplayable.

In saying that however I may actually try out some of those mods for GTA IV, my main issue with the game was the dull tones and terrible use of atmosphere, so perhaps I'll come back to it now and play with my pad on PC. Imploring some of the advantages I see with the mods included in that video. It does look stunning, and while I do have a GTX 770, I'm not sure even my rig would handle how much load is coming in with those mods, so I'll trim it down a bit.

Truth is, when I left Xbox for PC (and all I kept was my gamepad), I could never turn back.
Old July 29th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Odin

Nature: Jolly
I see where you're coming from in terms of FPS. Using mods generally requires better specs depending on how much you use at a time and what mods they are. I haven't use as much as 100 at a time for one game, only around 70. Normally, though, I hardly ever experience lag anymore, only when I have several things open at a time and that's usually when I'm doing something important.

Also, like you, I left Xbox for PC. I prefer PC a lot more, wider variety and there is much more opportunities. However, my Dad has pre-ordered the Xbox One because he wants it so I'll probably be playing it from time to time. I am gradually adding more and more games to my PC collection so I will still spend plenty more time on this than on the Xbox.

Old July 29th, 2013 (2:10 PM).
Blade of Justice

Nature: Timid
I'd play games on my PC but it doesn't have the best capacities and it could be slow.
Mods on GTA are plain crazy. I'm amazed at the number of them really.
Old July 29th, 2013 (2:48 PM).

The modding community online is pretty extensive, a lot of modders are using their abilities for many reasons. There are developers who work on the mods purely for fun, and there's even people who create these mods to use in their portfolio for college and applications for work and so forth. The GTA and Elder Scrolls modding communities are some of the largest out there though, I'll admit that.

The only console I'll consider buying is the PS4, since I prefer their exclusives, and the fact that Naughty Dog are too much of a respectable developer to pass by. The big irk I have with GTA V, for example, is that it'll be at least a year before it's on PC.
Old July 29th, 2013 (2:55 PM). Edited July 29th, 2013 by Athelstan.
Odin

I agree with you, and I think that modders deserve more credit. The work they put into making the mods shows a they took a lot of time up, and the end product can be amazing. I love how the modding communities within games work with each other and they actually listen to what we want and they, most of the time, update their mods to make sure it works and is bringing more to the game. All the effort they put in for no price at all, now that is something the gaming community should recognize.

Old July 30th, 2013 (12:36 AM).
Da spirits be restless~

Nature: Calm
I tried to mod a game, and its pretty easy to edit stuff, but creating new stuff is hard to do. I love the modding community as people asked me if they could help me by making a campaign for the mod and they gave me some ideas.

Also the StarCraft 2 Arcade has some pretty nice games made by people. They are always fun and barely something that is actually a RTS thing.
Old July 30th, 2013 (1:25 AM).
Odin

Yeah, I'm thinking of making a mod sooner or later, will be basic at first, but I'm sure that with help from the community I'd be able to improve upon it. I'm thinking of starting a Minecraft mod, because that's a fairly simple place to start at, making new blocks, items, recipes etc. and the most of what I will have to do is just design them and I'll see how it goes from there.

Garry's Mod. That's something I find hard to believe hasn't been mentioned. The game virtually has to be played with mods. So much variety in the mods and there are so many possibilities with that game for a low price and a huge community.

Old July 30th, 2013 (1:28 AM).
Da spirits be restless~

I started modding Tiberian Sun for a long time, and changing values is easy, and i found some hidden units and buildings (curse you EA... IF you werent so greedy these things werent hidden at all) which i used in the game itself. Also you cant make things too OP. If you make the strength of a unit too high, it becomes immobile for instance
Old July 30th, 2013 (1:53 PM).
Odin

I haven't played Command & Conquer for a good while now. I was thinking of maybe buying a couple of the most recently recent games, what are they like now?

Old July 30th, 2013 (2:03 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

Well i havent played the recent ones, didnt really like the single player at all of them, im mainly into Tiberian Sun, which has been released as abandonware if im correctly. I love Tiberian Sun and the way the AI treats you... Is the AI NOD? He will use subterrain units for sure.
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:08 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Of the C&C games, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge is probably my favorite. When C&C comes to mind, that's the one I jump to right away. I grew up with it and, even disregarding that, I loved the story mode. It also has a conquest mode that I never tried out, but it seemed interesting in concept.

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:10 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Of the C&C games, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge is probably my favorite. When C&C comes to mind, that's the one I jump to right away. I grew up with it and, even disregarding that, I loved the story mode. It also has a conquest mode that I never tried out, but it seemed interesting in concept.
That game is sweet too, though i got fed up with Tiberian Sun since it came out and i fell in love with it... Yet RA2's story was interesting and fun to do... Those two games are the best C&C games imo
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:21 PM).
Odin

The last C&C I played was Tiberium Wars iirc, it was one of my favorite games at the time. I was actually looking at Red Alert 2 yesterday, I was thinking of picking it up but didn't have enough money to buy it with the other games I bought. I have heard a lot of goo things about RA2, is there a demo of it available?

Old July 30th, 2013 (2:23 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

I have no idea, never saw a C&C demo at all. But there are always possibilities.
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:28 PM).
Odin

I always prefer if a game has a demo because then I actually get a feel of the game. There are a few games that I watched a lot of gameplay of and loved it, but when I actually purchased the game it wasn't as good as I though it would be.

Old July 30th, 2013 (2:33 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

Before i bought TFD i had already copies of Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun. I managed to sell them for 20 euros (normal price for the bundle with C&C Renegade).

StarCraft 2 is another RTS game i adore, it has a demo (called Starter Edition) but you kinda need to like the different stuff it has.
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:38 PM).
It's... kinda effective?

EA made a mess of the series with Tiberian Twilight. They pretty much took a big **** on well... everything. Wars was great - But Twilight was garbage.

I don't thik there is a demo for RA2.

I can't remember the exact name of it, but the first collection pack I bought had TibSun/Firestorm, Renegade, And RA2/YR.

I got TFD a few years ago on sale.

Anyone ever play Supreme Commander or SupCom Forged Alliance
Old July 30th, 2013 (2:43 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

I agree... Twilight was pure garbage... Never bought the game but looking at reviews i didnt got a single feeling to buy it.

I had that same collection bundle before i got TFD, i still have the Renegade disc, but Renegade... It wasnt that great... Loved the idea of a RTS turned into a FPS, but it just wasnt so appealing to me.
Old July 30th, 2013 (11:47 PM).
Odin

Uh, reviews can buy me games or they can make me forget about them. I always read at least 3 reviews before I decide on buying a game unless it's something I'm already pretty certain on or it's just come out and doesn't really have any reviews. For instance, I was thinking of spending a bit on Riptide on Steam, but I saw 4 reviews which rated it really low and I heard a few YouTubers say it wasn't a good game so I left it where I had originally wanted to buy it without seeing any of the content, just based on the fact that I quite liked Dead Island. And I know that with my liking of Dead Island I might have liked Riptide however I found that a massive flaw of Dead Island was that it is repetitive and that's one of the biggest complaints in Riptide.

Old July 30th, 2013 (11:55 PM).
Da spirits be restless~

Same here, though i sometimes buy a game regardless of reviews, and most of the games i do that are pretty fun.

And some games do get good reviews and barely have something new added to the game (mostly sequels of games). I bought StarCraft 2 since i liked the demo a lot and i played it cause i saw some gameplay on Youtube which made me really excited about the game. I have it now for 2-3 months and im still playing it a lot.
Old July 31st, 2013 (12:04 AM).
Odin

Although, a review is just a gamers opinion, and it may be a completely different view from what I think of the game. But if several gamers share the same opinion, it sends a message.

Old July 31st, 2013 (12:08 AM).
Da spirits be restless~

Indeed, yet it can still be liked, not everyone shares the same opinion, but is does send a message. Citadels for instance. Never heard of it till i saw it on Youtube... Im glad i watched that cause that game isnt worth $40 at all.

Also appearantly battle.net is down from 3am CEST till 11am CEST, and i suck at converting timezones. I badly wanna play StarCraft 2 since the patch does a lot of great stuff... Still imo Terrans are OP...
Old July 31st, 2013 (8:29 AM).
It's... kinda effective?

A lot of the times though it's just up to preference.

One of my new favorites, Stardrive, have pretty low scores. Metacritic have it rated 61. Very low scores, you'd think it would be a very crappy game... But it's awesome.

Anyway, if you like GTA you should give Just Cause 2 a try.
Old July 31st, 2013 (10:33 AM).
the thread killer™

A review is just a way of someone expressing there opinion. However, often times some 'professional' critic reviews just just like advertisements for the game while others just lambaste the game just for attention using paper-thin reasoning.

That's why I cannot trust any professional reviews as well as user reviews and word of mouth via IRL or the internet.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply