• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: So you want to make a ROM hack?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024

ROM Hacking Walkthrough (pending rewrite)

You can view the old write-up here, which will be replaced in the future:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Alright! Step 2 is up! Today we discuss planning the game. Next time I'll show you why you may not be ready for the actual hacking. And then finally, we'll get to it! :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hey! Step 4 is now up! (sorry for the delay)

Today we discuss basic mapping and setting up the ROM for hacking. Next time we'll do some more with our first map, including basic scripting!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Just making a quick post to say that this being re-branded to go along with my username change~
On top of that, the next step is being planned so be on the lookout for that soon! :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
When is step 5 coming?

Not anytime soon unfortunately. The computer I was using to work on this is out of commission for the time and I won't be able to get it going for a while. I can't give you an estimate, but worst-case I'll be able to continue this in May, and if I can I'll try and get something out sooner.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 22, 2016
I just got into hacking and this tutorial has been extremely helpful. Thank you very much for writing it. I'll definitely follow along.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 7, 2022
Yo man, I just finished the 4th part of this guide. I noticed that this post was edited last March. Will the guide continue? I'm getting fired-up on making a ROM hack, but I don't think there'll be a part 5. Great map tho, It got me learning the basics of advanced map.

Awesome guide!

Back