• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you discover new music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Usually I just hear some of my friends singing a song I've never heard of. But sometimes, if I'm bored, I search through Youtube to find some new songs. It led me to Domino, by Jessie J, and I memorized the song two months before my friends found out about it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
A lot when I listen to my car radio on the way to school, and also on iTunes when I look through the charts.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Twitter and Tumblr mostly. I used to visit blogs but they've all shut down now. Sometimes I'll listen to the radio and find music that way too.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
It's usually when I'm listening to music on YouTube, and I see songs that catch my interest in the related videos. That's how I found a lot of the music I listen to. Other times it's whenever my friends send me something to check out or post a really awesome song/band on Facebook.

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2019
Last.fm, youtube subscriptions (mainly electronic music: Tasty Network, United Dubstep, Liquicity, MrSuicideSheep...), spotify recommendations and by friends. I use to go to music festivals though, which are a great spot to catch new groups.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Normally music review websites. If something gets a good grade, and I'm in the mood for discovering new music, then I'll often have a gander on over to Spotify or YouTube and have a quick sample. If I like what I hear, I'll listen to the full album in question; if I don't, I'll normally stop there and not think about that artist/band again. If I like the band/artist and discover that they have an extensive back catalogue, I'll also try to listen to as much of it as possible, as I tend to binge on new music when I can.

For me, the best things are year-end best lists. Things like Pazz & Jop, or lists from Pitchfork/Drowned in Sound/The AV Club are a really great place to start. I certainly won't agree with all of them (last year I sampled 10 new records based on their positions in year-end best-of lists: loved 2 of them, liked about 4, and disliked the other 4). It's because of this that most of my new music discoveries normally happen months after the records have been released; I just won't know about them until the end of the year!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I usually discover it through television. Most of the songs in my iTunes have come from TV in one way or another. The latest song I'm obsessed with, "What A Pity" by Right Away, Great Captain; I found when it was playing in the background in one of the scenes of a repeat of Grey's Anatomy lol

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Um, radio, TV, and remixes of songs I already like. It's very rare that I'll like a song that someone brought up because I'll forever associate it to them and it'll ruin it. Hall of Fame is an exception, though, because Meganium is wonderful. Or Pokemon music lool. idk I just follow relevant links on YT and boom I see stuff.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I have a process. When I download and buy music I look at artist names and album covers that appeal to me and I'll usually check them out. I'm also always looking for new inspirations for my own music all over the place, so I'll look for the hottest Korean/Chinese tracks to get inspired and I'll usually find a new artist that I love by doing so.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
TV and Radio (sister listens to radio so much so I'm pretty updated).
Sometimes I watch an AMV on youtube, end up liking the song. Example of that would be Hero by Skillet.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I'm a Pandora guy, so I tend to go with that. It's pretty easy to discover new music to enjoy by creating a station based on an artist or song. Though through that very same method, I often discover I only really liked maybe one or two two songs from a specific genre and that I'm nowhere near as interested in it as I believed myself to be. It's a bit of a bummer, but, hey, saves me from wasting time at least! I also use the TuneIn radio app/site to help me discover music in different languages (or just get into radio hosts from around the world) and this is something I've been doing more often than Pandora ever since I discovered it a few months ago.

I'm not much of a radio or TV guy, simply because air time for songs through those avenues tends to come months after they've already been released and available on Pandora.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Most of the times, it is my friends who recommend certain album or bands to me and I listen to 'em accordingly. Thankfully, some of my friends have a similar taste in music as me so it helps. Sometimes youtube AMVs are a source. Don't watch music on television because the stuff on it is crap at all times. And I don't use radio.

There was a time when I used to discover and listen to some really awesome 'Hindi' songs via radio but that time has long since gone. I've stopped listening to any song that isn't English. Or Japanese. Because Japanese songs are swell.
Even though I can't make out what a single word means. I watch em' cuz anime ops and eds are awesome. But that's beside the point. o3o

Mr. Magius

  
Years
There's a number of ways I find/have found music. Normally I just go on YouTube and find stuff that is recommended for me, or I'll even go on Wikipedia and find a list of bands that fit in a certain genre.
I used to have an iPhone app (I believe it was called Discover Music?) that gave me like a web of recommended bands for me. It also gave me samples of some of their more famous songs.

Adore

Party.
Years
Usually through my friends. They know my tastes and I know theirs fairly well, so we often swap youtube links when they find things that I like and visa versa.

Also I'll occasionally browse Reddit when I'm absolutely sick of every song I have and need something new. That isn't often though.

Years
Radio stations, friends and I explore on a music-streaming website called GrooveShark which I am surprised no one has mentioned yet (maybe they did, i'm lazy to check and search for posts).

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Haphazard clicking through YouTube, my friends, and on some rare occasions my family.

Pvt Tamama

Chii!
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
youtube pandora forums but never really radio especially after hearing the same pop song 5 times in one hour. Also very rare poeple i know irl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back