• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
HHHHELPME!
I'm having a serious writer's block - AGAIN! I know what I want to write, but I just can't write it down. What am I going to do?

Also, I am very tempted to try something out. I thought about writing a post in Finnish and then translating it with some online translator. I just tried translating with google translator yesterday and the result was so hilarious it really made me want to try this out. What do you guys think? Want to read total nonsense with several Finnish words in it because the darn translator sucks? Well?

Too bad it doesn't work very well though, because I believe it would be a lot easier for me to write in Finnish. As in, it would be easier to overcome this block. Which I hate.

Funny how I write about how I can't write...

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years
What translator are you using? I think this could be really fun. We may want to do it in VM's or in a social group or something so we don't spam up this thread.

Oh, I have a question.

To what extent would your character go to translate what they are saying to a village/city of foreigners, with a bar on them knowing the foreign language?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Because I don't slap, if you two made that club, I'd kick you both. Then I'd get my girlfriend to kick you too. Grr.

To what extent would your character go to translate what they are saying to a village/city of foreigners, with a bar on them knowing the foreign language?
Using a guidebook. If all else fails, the DS has a translating mechanism, even if terrible.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years

Cimi would draw. I imagine she's a fine artist, but I haven't decided yet.
Pichu would use a huge amount of hand gestures without ever getting his message through.
Adan would use calm and collected hand gestures and probably would get his message trough.

Jack, Radeem, Ivysaur and Susanne wouldn't even try (I seem to like arrogant characters)...

Usa-chan would try to speak very loud and very slow English with some random Japanese words mixed in. Nobody would understand her, of course, but this wouldn't bother her very much.

April would just cook a meal sufficient for everyone. Or, if the message she had to deliver to these foreign people was important, she'd panic, run around and probably be out could in a matter of minutes because of a sudden collision to a solid object.

As for the translator: I usually use Yahoo's Babelfish (when translating from Japanese to English, never the other way round, except for in cases I need to copypaste a certain kanji I can't find anywhere else), but as it doesn't have Finnish as an option, I'd have to use Google's translator for this. It does have Finnish. Most of it, at least. I didn't know the Finnish world for "chase" (=jahdata), so it left the word untranslated... It was funny.

Like this (The following example is the last paragraph. I made as accurate Finnish translation as I ever could and ran it trough the Google translator):
What compiler is: I usually use Yahoo Babelfishiä (in the translate in Japanese in English, never the other way around, except in the event that I need someone to kanjin copypastettavaksi and I do not find it anywhere), but because it can not be selected for the Finnish, should use Google's translator in this situation. It is the Finnish alternative. Most of the Finnish language, at least. It was not aware of what is the gun for the Finnish, so it failed to translate ago ... The time fun.
(how can it mistake "chase" for "gun?!?!?!! How is that possible?!?!?!)

Fun, huh?
The scary thing about that is that it looks a lot like something a Japanese (or Finnish, for the matter) person could write... Maybe they really do use those translators?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Most of mine would actually say "eff this" and make no actual attempt unless it was absolutely necessary. At that point, you've got the bolder ones like Mercury who will BS the language in an attempt to get the idea across. ("Where is your el bathroom-o? Comprende?") More sensible ones will attempt to find someone who can translate for them, if they don't simply travel with a book of common words and phrases.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years

Gale: Listen up! My name is Gale- say it with me! "Gay-ull". Good! Now, I need to find the public house. PUB-LICK HOWSE. DO YOU UN-DER-STAND?

Augustus: .... *flies away*

Aristophanes: Ah'm sorry, sir, but Ah cannae understand what yer talkin' aboot. *sits there for hours, looking confused*

Laertes: Look, either you tell me where the bathroom is or I rip out your spleen. This isn't that hard.

General Michael: Fortunately, I already know how to say "where can I find loose women"? in fifteen different languages, and anything else I need I can get for myself through careful application of my military training. So no harm done!

.... My god, with the exception of Augustus I think all my characters are idiots.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

The Latis have it easy, in that they can just use telepathy to portray intentions instead of using actual words. Ren and Kairn could simply tell them what they want, and then the dragons could translate for them.

Mewtwo would just take whatever she needed, and that would be the end of the discussion. If she was being nice about it, though, she could hypothetically learn this new language in a few minutes by listening to the village banter and then speak it fluently.

I'm having a serious writer's block - AGAIN! I know what I want to write, but I just can't write it down. What am I going to do?
Write.

EDIT: Anyone hear about this? Tim Burton's doing Alice in Wonderland. Here's the Mad Hatter:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years

Samuel would probably just speak in English, not caring about what was said to him. Neal would log onto the internet and translate every sentence that way.

Also, Tim Burton is doing Alice in wonderland? I bet the Cheshire cat will look cool...

Bay

Years
Bunny and Jacob would either use books or have a translator. Jenny would just give up. XD

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Aden would just grunt and point. And when no one knows what it is that she wants, she'll just grunt louder and gesture more wildly. Then if no one still has a clue what it is that she wants, she'll blame them for being stupid and then insult the government somehow, requiring her to run away as far as she can.

The other two of my original characters actually run across language barriers in their world that they have to deal with, so they don't get an answer.

Spoiler:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Bay said:
How many times Tim Burton and Johnny Deep(think I spelled his last name wrong) worked together? XD

Placing Tim Burton as Director and Johnny Deep as Actor, at least eight (8). Counting the upcoming Alice in Wonderland. That's what IMDB's DB is returning, but it's not the complete source I would like. Still, that's a lot of work together considering what those movies are: Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, etc...

Oh my mind is too "empty" to try and answer the funny questions, in particular the foreign language thing. Maybe tomorrow... when I find out the FFL has yet another full page of posts...

Post Office Buddy

Years
My mind is empty as well, but that is from exhaustion. It's looking like I might update that Apocolypse fiction I started in September, giving it a Chapter One soon. I have some ideas for that I want to implement. I'm also about 3/4 done with Chapter Eleven of The Fall of Light. That in particular has been taking a long long time. Just a lot of writer's block, I guess. And yes, I'll stop rambling now.

Spoiler:

Bay

Years
Spoiler:

In other news, got an idea where I want my little musical to head and also got an idea of how I'll manage my time to write that piece. Just lucky I don't plan to have that story be very long. XD

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Now that I can edit posts again (Thank Andrew), I've updated the FFL Orgy post!

I might have forgotten people, since it's been a while since I've looked at it, and I meant to update it for a while. So if someone wants to be on it, you have to survive the dungeon first. There are three tasks that you must solve with humility, faith, and knowledge. (And if anyone knows what movie I'm referencing, you get a...free pass into the FFL Orgy. Or something. Unless you're already in the FFL, in which case, we'll discuss what you can get.)

Post Office Buddy

Years
YOU'VE NEVER SEEN MONTY PYTHON?!?!?!?!? WE DEMAND YOU GO AND RENT IT, RIGHT NOW, NO MATTER YOUR TIME!

No, seriously, it's a great movie. You really need to see it.

Well, umm, I'm kinda stumped on this one. It kinda sounds Harry Potterish, but I can't be completely certain. (Darn me and seeing too many movies involving dungeons/tasks/mudkipz.)

txteclipse

The Last
Years
It's obviously Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But I'm already in the orgy, so the free pass is wasted upon me.

...I keep rediscovering how much of a jerk I am. XD So I deem that the pass goes to whoever claims it first.

And oh good lord, good lord oh, good oh lord, lord oh good. Astinus hasn't seen MPatHG. How is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back