• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did you ever play the original green?

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Did anyone look up "Lavender Town Syndrome"? Apparently the high pitch notes and stuff from the Lavender Town music from the original Japanse version of Green caused hearing problems and swelling of the brain of young children, causing potential deaths. They apparently changed the music for UK and other releases of the colour games.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Did anyone look up "Lavender Town Syndrome"? Apparently the high pitch notes and stuff from the Lavender Town music from the original Japanse version of Green caused hearing problems and swelling of the brain of young children, causing potential deaths. They apparently changed the music for UK and other releases of the colour games.

That's an old rumor/creepypasta and not true.

rubin

czytała Krystyna Czubówna
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2014
Yep, bought in on eBay 1,5 year ago. Thunderbolt animation still gives me nightmares xD

shadexpwn

Shadexpwn
Years
I never got a chance to play it, but was confused as when I was going to buy it it was in pure Japanese. I wanted to try and play Bulbasaur for the first time so I just restarted blue version to save some hassle of trying to find a real green version.

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I bought Pokemon green and been playing it recently. I like it, I actually find it more of a challenge compared to the english counterparts because I don't know the Japanese language, I'm trying to figure out which moves are which. I actually like some of the green sprites more than some of the blue/red/yellow. They're not the best but they're fabulous.

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
I have played it but only more recently and not when it was new. I purchased a copy of it on amazon for $30 back in February, not sure if i over paid lol. Anyway it was quite easy to play even being in another language, when you have played the american equivalents dozens of times its hard not to know whats going on lol. I have to say i really loved the slight differences like pokemon location in the wild and the different floor plan in the Unknown Dungeon. Also not sure if anyone has tried but if you haven't dont... do not try to trade between the Japanese cartridge and the american ones, it will corrupt your save files... lesson learned!

After completing the game i was pleased enough to the point where i also purchased a copy or Japanese Yellow but sadly i haven't played that one very far and its collecting dust on the game shelf. I do intend to get it off eventually though and play it one time through at least.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
Nope, I never did. I can't see myself playing a game with a language I can't comprehend.

I might as well try the patched version, but I'm a little irked by the graphics...

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Yeah, I own a copy.
Got to the fourth gym, got the badge, then I decided to restart because I wanted to play Green with Bulbasaur, Blue with Squirtle and Red with Charmander.
Never got around to actually doing it, so it's sitting there, not collecting dust since I take good care of it.

I've only ever played the ROM version, and I think its awesome that you actually have the cartridge. But something that would also be super cool, is if an American actually owned a rare copy of the Japanese Blue Version.
Eh, Japanese Blue really isn't rare.

I did see a Green cartridge for sale at an anime convention a few weeks ago. I would've bought it, but it was $30, so..
Good thing you didn't buy it, $30 for Green is a rip-off.

Been playing this, was gonna try and message the creator to see if I could get the ips. posted here, for what seems like such a simple a lot of work clearly went into this :)

http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/729/ ;)
Gotta click on version number to download patches on Romhacking.net btw.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2014
Yes and No, I've got it somewhere. It's played about half way through but that was when I was like 9 and I didn't know you could get it in English! So I gave it up and played Red..

Years
  • Seen Jun 23, 2013
I personally love the sprites in Green. I have both Green and Yellow version in Japanese, but Green definitely has to be my favorite. The Japanese is a little annoying since I don't read Japanese, but anything is better than that god awful translation.

o Pikachu o

Pikachu
Years
I had the cartridge before. But it was bootleg :( I've downloaded the English version of the ROM and I quit playing it because the sprites were ugly and the English was horrible...

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
I played it but turned volume down at lavendar town, you know, since the music supposedly can kill you.

EDIT: This is my first post in ages, but I'm back now that the fire of pokemon in my heart has been re lit by my recent playing of pokemon Blue.

megamasher3

Quizzical Enthusiast
Years
I bought the cart from Ebay back in March, got all the way to Fuschia before school bogged me down (I had to keep track of the items in my pack with my iphone lol). Just picked it back up two days ago and finished it last night :P Its funny, despite how often the sprites are panned, a good number of the sprites are actually better/closer to their art than their Blue compatriots, lol....though many aren't XD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
I didn't actually learn of this game's existence until like a couple years ago, and by that time, I didn't really ever feel the need to backtrack.

Back