• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: James Turner leaving Game Freak to start own studio

James Turner leaving Game Freak to start studio, ‘The Plucky Squire’ game

James Turner leaving Game Freak to start studio, ‘The Plucky Squire’ game

‘All Possible Futures’ is the new studio he will co-lead, and the trailer for their first game has also dropped.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Nice! Congratulations to him on his new project!

I'll be looking forward to playing some of his studio's games soon. I'm not gonna lie, the Pokémon games will never be the same without his contributions, but I'm glad he's going his own way. I can only wish him the best.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Staffs comes and go I guess. Best wishes to him on his new courier

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Article updated with the trailer of his studio's first game! The Plucky Squire.

Should I be concerned about something like this? Two big figures have left game freak.
Masuda left Game Freak but is now part of TPC, so not quite the same. Turner may well have been involved in SV to some extent too as large game dev projects are at least 2 years typically... but it's not clear.

I wouldn't worry at any rate.

Years
Game looks adorable even if it's not my thing! Wishing him lots of luck with this goal, really nice to see he managed to achieve something he's said he wanted for a while.

pkmin3033

I'm surprised at how extensive his history with the franchise is, honestly. I didn't know that he'd worked at Genius Sorority for 8 years or directed HarmoKnight, I just thought he was responsible for some of the most hated Pokemon and the art director for two of the worst games in the franchise, haha.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here, but with the thoughtless direction Scarlet and Violet appear to be taking, it looks like he got out at a good time.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm surprised at how extensive his history with the franchise is, honestly. I didn't know that he'd worked at Genius Sorority for 8 years or directed HarmoKnight, I just thought he was responsible for some of the most hated Pokemon and the art director for two of the worst games in the franchise, haha.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here, but with the thoughtless direction Scarlet and Violet appear to be taking, it looks like he got out at a good time.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's not that well known on the Genius Sonority part; I've followed those games more than most, haha. But yeah, he even was involved with Shadow Lugia, so that's significant. He was one of the various staff members TPC/GF reshuffled from GS.

I feel it's too early to yet tell how Scarlet and Violet will turn out, but I'm curious if he was involved significantly in those games before quitting. Certainly his new game's art style, well, screams 'James Turner made this'.

Back