• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst things regarding your favourite generation.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
This is a thread I've been wanting to make in a very very long time, what are some of your least favourite things regarding your favourite gen? Let's prove ourselves that just because we enjoy our games too much doesn't mean they are perfect. You can state as many points as you can and if you really are that guy and you think your favourite gen is perfect, you can do this for your 2nd favourite gen.

As for me:

Gen4
- DP's slow battling system and surfing speed.
- Actually make that a few thing regarding DP in general
- I've come to appreciate it over time and I understand why but yeah, too many legendaries.
- The lake trio are way too similar in design, they should make like some details different or such.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Black/White's postgame is the same barren landscape that most first pairs are, and the backsprites in Gen 5 tend to be blurry/pixelated

pkmin3033

*snorts at the idea of criticising a favourite as difficult*

So, Generation 4...

- Recycles Gen 3's narrative. It's not acceptable in any other gen that does this - i.e. every other Gen after Gen 3 - and it's not acceptable here, either.
- Frankly, with the exception of Cynthia's theme, the soundtrack is forgettable, bordering on mediocre and dipping into outright bad at points.
- Somehow makes contests even MORE tedious than they were in Gen III, and they were bad enough there as it is.
- The lack of a decent fire type outside of Chimchar in Diamond and Pearl especially made getting a balanced team difficult unless you picked Chimchar, which was easily the worst starter, because it was another monkey.
- Introduced Lucario. Need I say more.
- Also introduced Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Togekiss, and Ambipom. Some of the previous gen evos were great. Others...not so much.
- Had a really awkward "2.5D" visual style that really hasn't aged well. The buildings look ridiculously blocky compared to the overworld sprites.
- Arceus never got a proper in-game event release, and that's just plain scummy. I used my Action Replay to get into the Hall of Origin and whilst it wasn't anything hugely special, it would have been nice to get it to round the gen off. But no.
- Barry's existence.
- Like basically every other game with a third version or sequel, Diamond and Pearl were obvious betas for Platinum.
- Getting Spiritomb was bloody hindering awkward. Unnecessarily so.
- Team Galactic are a typically underwhelming villainous team. This stings all the more for their rather cool space theme, which was nowhere near expanded upon enough as there were only three planetary Commanders. Where where WHERE are my Team Galactic Sailor Scouts?!

A thing about HeartGold and SoulSilver here, as they're part of Gen 4: they have actually ruined the franchise in some ways, because they set a standard that has never - and probably will never be - been equalled by any other Pokemon game. All the stops were pulled out for HGSS, and with Game Freak half-arsing every other game since then, it's doubtful Pokemon will ever move past this. They're too good, and that's bad. Work that one out. xD

Years
-Gen 7 had some of my least favorite 'Mon designs.
-Kukui and Hau were extremely annoying to me.
-I feel like they could've did a better job with designing the Ultra Beasts. There's not a single Ultra Beast that I like.

Uhhhh, that's about it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
It's hard to decide if my favorite generation is 6, because I think X/Y were average. But Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are my favorites in the series.

Kalos has the most forgettable gym leaders in the series. And it's a mostly forgettable region with a main hub city which is incredibly tedious to navigate. I dreaded every visit to Lumiose City.

The worst mistake was removing the Battle Frontier in the Gen 3 remakes. The reception with ORAS would have been so much better if they just included this in the post game.

The generation is too easy. Pokemon shouldn't be difficult, but this generation is mindless. I tried turning the EXP share off for X/Y, but quickly found the NPC trainers rising above me in levels. It works better for ORAS though.

Years
I honestly, truly can't think of anything?? Maybe the lack of post-game content in BW, and the fact that breeding was more convoluted/tedious than now.....??

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
N isn't real :(

For a more serious answer, I can't bring myself to believe that half of a region (which is just as fleshed-out as the other half) with incredibly challenging generic Trainers, boss battles, and extra narrative elements counts as a "lackluster postgame," so to me there's hardly any negative quality to gen 5 that isn't a product of its time (like, breeding in gen 5 was easier than in gen 4... but thankfully gen 6 made it even easier; things like that).

Last edited:
Back