• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

1st Gen Mew, Mew, so much Mew!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Truefax time: About two weeks ago, I sat next to someone on the train who was playing Pokemon Blue on his GBA SP. So retro, I know! While I was looking over his shoulder and at his game, I noticed that he had a Mew in his team. All of this got me thinking about the lil' critter's place in the first series of games. Most of us remember the Mew glitch, but how many people actually used it? Or did you just use an Action Replay to program yourself one? Or did you manage to get yourself to a Nintendo Event? (I remember one tie-in with the first movie; I think it involved a training card as well...) Or did you not even care about Mew? Overrated lil' thing... Which is it to be? :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2013
I never knew the mew glitch as a kid unfortunately, I knew a friend who had one via trading, so he cloned it on his silver and then traded it along to me. Unfortunately that game file I had is corrupted, it used to have a whole team of mews! To be honest, the main reason I restarted my pokemon blue the other day was to do the glitch my self. I fudged it a few times but when I finally got it, I was elated.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I always heard it was under the truck that you could push away with strength when you'd beaten the Indigo League but I never managed to do that obviously. But my friend and I did find out about the Mew glitch in Blue about a year ago and we actually got it! Not much we could do with it though haha.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
This is the very first time that I heard this Mew glitch stuff.
Now I'm happy that I can finally have one of my favorite pokemon without any action replay.

As for answering the question, I never had a legit Mew in any of my teams, but I once used an AR to catch a Mew.
I didn't felt anything by doing this method, so I ended up releasing the Mew.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
As a kid, I never knew how to do the Mew glitch, but I obtained one via trade from a friend, whose cousin did. It wasn't until a few years ago that I did learn it. Now I make a note to catch a Mew every time. At least in challenges, it makes a good HM slave.

Pizzey

Shutter-Shaded Minccino
Years
I always do the Mew glitch when I play though a first gen game c:
I also didn't know about it as a youngin, however my one friend had one, but never told me how he got it. I didn't learn about it until much later when I was researching glitches.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
By the time I learned I had either lost, sold, or broke all of my first generation games, leaving me to question the validity of the glitch forever so no I never got a legit Mew. Heck I've never even had a hacked Mew.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I did it in my Red for fun once. It was nice to have that cool cat with me for the ride.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Once I found out about the Mew Glitch during the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald generation, I decided to experiment with this glitch by downloading a ROM of both Red and Blue and performed it. I've always wondered as a child how to get Mew because I saw it in the first movie, but it didnt phase me enough to get it though.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
To be honest, I always used the glitch. Then I went through the rest of the game using only Mew.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I never knew about the glitch. I had a gameshark, I just used that. I didn't really like Mew (not as a kid, not now), so I never really used it that much.

That said, I did discover Missingno without even knowing about it (I even remember exactly where I was when I did it). I wasn't able to reproduce it though because I didn't know how I did it, so nobody believed me until years later. I think that's worth a few points.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I use the Mew glitch in almost every save file on Red and Blue just for the Dex data, I've never used it though.

I can't imagine how many Mew I would have if GSC could link with RSE ><

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I got Mew legitimately for Yellow... somehow. Toys 'R Us or, geez, something. Maybe it was at some event at a mall. Well, whatever it was legit.

When I learned about the Mew glitch, I used it during a quick run through Blue, and got two of 'em. Those old games were the home of some really nifty exploits, I must say.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
I've never caught a legit Mew, as a matter of fact, with the exception of the in-game legendaries; I really don't go out of my way to catch them. I Always thought Mew was overrated.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I didn't know about the glitch when I was a kid but I bought one for $5 from a friend that got it from an event. Both of us knew the Missingno/Duplication glitch but that was the extent of our glitch knowledge. I actually have a legit Mew from an event on my Platinum, moving it to Black 2 soon. I never reset my Red because it has a complete Pokedex. I also have no way to complete that Dex again so I won't be resetting it.

I really like Mew and think it's very underrated. It can learn ANY move and can Transform like Ditto. You send out Mew when battling a buddy and they never know what it can do. On a side note regarding why I like it outside of gameplay, Ditto comes from Mew and Ditto is my favorite Pokemon.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I only found out about it a few months back and only used it in pokemon yellow for the 'dex data.. I never really understood the merits of having a Mew on my team until I got one on my HG version. (Yes, I had it hacked to cause random encounters. No, I don't even participate online so it's ok in my eyes!).. Now I think Mew is my most overused Pokemon cause I taught it Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Psychic.. It is pretty underrated tho :D

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I only heard of this 'Mew glitch' thing after I joined the forums. And after knowing it, I tried on a Emulator, cos I was curious and didn't want to try it on my Red game as I was scared that it will screw up my game. And also... there should be a glitch sub forum!

Rou.Tsuki

It's happy hour somewhere...
Years
Wow... I remember Mew. Got him legit through a mall event. Don't remember which game he's on though. Should go find these games again and see if the nickle size batteries in them still alive.

Years
About 5 years ago, I learned about the Mew glitch and I performed it in Yellow, unfortunately, I lost my Yellow cartridge not too long after I got Mew. I'd love to get another one, but right now I no way of getting on the GTS and I refuse to hack my game using a Gameshark.

Years
I learned about the Mew glitch when I was absolutely addicted to Gold/Silver. I was at a summer camp thing and the only other kid who liked Pokemon mentioned it, that he had it written down. Unfortunately he didn't realise that I actually HAD Yellow until the last day so I couldn't get the glitch info from him.

Since that was years ago, now that I can use YouTube to find out how to do it it's no problem. I stupidly erased my file so that I could get a Mew, and typically I got bored around Mount Moon. Which is a shame. If I get around to playing Yellow again someday, I'll likely try to make the glitch work, anyway.

Back