• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Help Me Complete My Team!(?)

Years
Hello all. I'm new to this place and discovered it while trying to find a place to ask some Pokemon questions.

I'm currently playing through Red on virtual console and can't decide on a 6th Pokemon for my team.

I have Charizard, Jolteon, Lapras, Snorlax and a Rhyhorn that will soon be a Rhydon. These Pokemon are currently in between lvls 35-45.

What should I choose for my 6th Pokemon without trading or using legendaries? (Preferably a Pokemon that I can catch at a high-ish level so that I don't have to grind forever), and what's a good moveset for said Pokemon?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. if this isn't the kind of post for this website please let me know!

Years
Welcome, this community is a great place to get help and learn more about the games! You're in the right section for this question! I think your team is pretty good in terms of type coverage and strength, but it could use a solid Psychic type. (As they are one of the best types in the game.)

I think the best choice to go with is an Exeggutor. I also noticed you don't have a Grass type either, so Exeggutor can fill in for both a psychic and grass type. You can find Exeggcute in its mid 20s in the Safari Zone, then you can evolve it with a Leaf Stone from Celadon. I recommend you evolve it at level 42, as that's when it learns Solar Beam. (You can also wait until level 48 for Sleep Powder, but that's not as important)

Recommended moveset
- Solar Beam
- Psychic (You can obtain the TM in Saffron City)
- Leech Seed
- Hypnosis/Stun Spore/Poison Powder/Sleep Powder

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
You're at the right place for this kinda question!

I'm assuming you're around the seventh or eighth Gym. At this point, the only high-level Pokémon you could catch are either in the sea, or in Victory Road. Here, you don't have much choice: Spearow/Fearow, Arbok, Primeape, any Rock-type... Out of these, I'd pick Primeape or Fearow.

Maybe you could go for a Hypno to have yourself a Psychic-type, since that type is very overpowered. You would have to grind that one though, unfortunately. Good luck with whatever you choose.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I was also going to come in and recommend Exeggutor. It has great typing and can learn some pretty powerful moves. Radiating covered all of those for you!

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
I would definitely recommend a Psychic type, and as people have said above, Exeggutor is a fantastic choice with Psychic moves and Grass moves aswell.

If you want a point of difference, Mr. Mime was always one of my favourite Gen1 Psychic Pokemon, running something like Psychic, ThunderWave, Seismic Toss and something like TBolt or Solarbeam (or if you're crazy like me, give it Metronome)

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
I would definitely recommend a Psychic type, and as people have said above, Exeggutor is a fantastic choice with Psychic moves and Grass moves aswell.

If you want a point of difference, Mr. Mime was always one of my favourite Gen1 Psychic Pokemon, running something like Psychic, ThunderWave, Seismic Toss and something like TBolt or Solarbeam (or if you're crazy like me, give it Metronome)

Mr. Mime would be a good choice and if I remember correctly his easy to get with a simple trade for an Abra?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Fire/Flying Charizard(don't we all wish it was Fire/Dragon?)
Electric Jolteon
Water/Ice Lapras
Normal Snorlax
Rock/Ground Ryhorn

Pretty much covers all potential foes except Normal foes(unless you got Fighting type moves) and Psychic types(then again Bug Type moves are incredibly weak). As for what type to get for your 6th Pokemon, Psychic Types rule the day due to what I just said regarding Bug Types and their lack of Bug Type moves with any power. As such, Psychic Pokemon have no real foe in Generation 1 and although you hate grinding, Psychic Pokemon are incredibly easy to raise.

Three options:

1) Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam. Fast and powerful with the ability to Teleport and recover. Although Teleport brings you back to the last Pokemon Center used, I've found Teleport to be quite valuable.
2) Drowzee/Hypno. Next best Psychic Type available to you that can learn Hypnosis and Dream Eater Combination for a quick combination KO.
3) Mr.Mime. Only obtainable via Trade and in Red/Blue I believe its for an Abra(you get equivalent level Mr.Mime in return) while in Pokemon Yellow its for a Clefairy(again equivalent level Mr.Mime is given to you). Option #3 isn't so bad because although grinding can suck, its growth rate is boosted by 50% since its OT is not you.

I will point out though that your current group can get by with just five provided Charizard learns Fly(which will knock out Bruno's Fighting Pokemon) and Ryhorn knows at least one Ground Type move like Earthquake for Agatha's Ghost/Poison Pokemon. Therefore you can pretty much use w/e Pokemon you want in the 6th slot. It can be a Fighting type(which will cover any Normal types while also kicking Ice Types to the curb), Flying Type(very useful against Grass, Psychic or Fighting Types) or a Bug Type(like Scyther... even though it knows no Bug Type moves).

Back