• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheist Alliance

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Irony God is one of my favorite memes, but also a pretty guilty pleasure... Kind of like Insanity Wolf. Pretty disrespectful heh.

I love insanity wolf haha.

I don't see Scumbag/Irony God as offense, because it points out true statements. I have multiple Christian friends who also like that meme, not because it's funny, but because it points out why you need to have faith for them.

Different perspectives..:P

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
It's just a different dynamic there heh. I might be able to name a few people would more than quickly jump at the call and start spewing out defenses for Irony God claims.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I've officially and fully embraced myself as an Atheist, and no longer some arbitrary agnostic guy.

Now I just gotta find the way on how to break it to my somewhat Catholic family and without getting my mom to think I'm just saying it just so I can skip the crap I have to learn for the Confirmation Sacrament. Lol.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
So, let's start some discussion:

When in [public] school, did you ever experience the school itself pushing religion on the students?

I've got quite a few experiences with it, mainly because I've lived in South/North Carolina all of my life.

(SC) One of my only memories from 5th grade is a person coming into the classroom and distributing little pocket-sized copies of Psalms and Proverbs. I think it may have been more than just 5th grade, I seem to recall receiving multiple copies of it.

(NC) At my 8th grade "graduation", we were all asked to stand and join in prayer. This was the first time that I ever realized "Hey, what they're doing is illegal". Of course, I didn't do anything about it because I was too young, and my mom would have killed me.

(SC) Graduation from high school! This time I had learned that prayer was scheduled for the ceremony, and I took action. Will they try again in the upcoming years? I dunno. I sure hope not.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Hmm..

1. This one kid in my school when I was in 6th grade (I believe he was in 3rd grade at the time) was shot and killed. The school asked everyone to pray.
2. The day after 9/11 we held a mandatory prayer service.
3. Another kid in my school was playing with a gun (I was in 4th grade) over the weekend and I guess he somehow got shot and became paralyzed. We had a prayer service.
4. Different school now - when they came over the loud speakers and told us about Virginia Tech we had a moment of prayer.

That's all I can think of, both those schools were extremely conservative, and therefore had a highly religious student base.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
It's either never happened, or I've never noticed it. Probably the latter.
I tend to care very little if any pushing goes on.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
Not really, In my school we have a moment of silence instead of prayer (multi-denominational school ftw~)..... so no. I haven't seen it in my school.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
When I was high school, we had had a moment of silence for tragedies. The school also had (optional) prayer services for the public. In my opinion, I think that is appropriate since the prayer service was a public service, not school affiliated event. However, Landorus spoke about mandatory prayer services; I do not agree that a child should be required to be subjected to any religious services. A secular service, that includes parent's, student's, and teacher's memories of a student should be appropriate for all students to attend.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Now that you mention it, I'm actually so glad that I attended a non-religious school. While I wouldn't be bothered by mandatory prayers, etc. I feel like they would be a complete inconvenience.

HarrisonH

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Woohoo! The video of the high-school student activist panel that I was on last month is finally up! Here it is:

:D

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Woohoo! The video of the high-school student activist panel that I was on last month is finally up! Here it is:

:D
o: That's really cool!
one question. (& in the nicest way possible~)
so what will you say if my grandma can make a broom drag you out of your house?
& i'm serious.
That has nothing to do with Atheism or any religion for that matter. You have a strike - and you're reported to the staff.

HarrisonH

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Oh no, that video is way too long for right now.
Can someone do a quick summary? :P

Nope :P It's just four students telling the stories of what they've done against school-sponsored religious practices, and then one going on about why it needs to be done, and then a Q&A session, and then a standing ovation.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
I found this quite amusing, I thought you'd all like it. o3o

w7j3s.jpg

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Yeah..you're right. They are a bit disrespectful~

Let's all refrain from post those kinds of images in the future. o3o

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Has this image been posted here yet?
It just makes me wonder.

Spoiler:

Plus, I feel it's hubristic to relate human form to godly form x_x

Oh, and a random quote:

"Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around."
—Penn Jillette

Last edited:

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
Years
If atheist means you do not believe in god, then it depends on your version of god. I don't think there is a big being up in the sky judging us, but you gotta remember 2 things:

1. The Big Bang was started by something.
2. Energy can not be created, nor destroyed.

Those things together essentially prove that reincarnation and god are definitely possible options. God, to me, is just energy. Energy makes us go, energy is the answer to so may questions. There is no "Hell" (unless you count some parts of Earth), and heaven is merely the transition between bodies. It probably feels good to be free of your body's physical limitations. So I'm an atheist, but a religious atheist. IT"S AN OXYMORON! WE'RE ALL OXYMORONIC!

Back