• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2012
I don't know why but PGE will freeze randomly (but very oftenly) when I try to edit pokemon stats,moves,etc...I did try to search for something in those 8 pages but I found out nothing so.....help please?

Can't way for it to be completed btw ^^

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
why there is no change in this rom?, and why a lot of pokemon that have the transform move?

Sorry if my English is bad

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
When I patched it I got a white screen rom. Anybody, help.

You're using the wrong ROM dump, probably.

I don't know why but PGE will freeze randomly (but very oftenly) when I try to edit pokemon stats,moves,etc...I did try to search for something in those 8 pages but I found out nothing so.....help please?

Can't way for it to be completed btw ^^

The Pokémon it crashes on, by any chance, are they Pokémon such as Ivysaur, Pikachu, etc? It's because PGE has (or had, not sure if it's been updated) sprites in the evolution editor, which are loaded "badly" due to how I set the sprites to be used in the patch.

why there is no change in this rom?, and why a lot of pokemon that have the transform move?

Sorry if my English is bad

Everything that's been changed is in the engine, rather than the scripts. This isn't a hack in and of itself, it's a base for others to make hacks on top of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
hey! i really find this patch something quite amusing. I'm just wondering, what's the file size of the .ips patch?

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
What an awesome work you did there! :o I barely overlooked it, but really, if it can emulate the 4 and 5 gen Pokémon, I won't be able thank you enough for all your hard work. Astounding!

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Okay, I've tried it, and... unfortunately the first attempt failed.

I just wanted to try having the new Pokemon, so I made a person from Pallet Town giving me one of them. But when I try to look at it in the Pokemon menu, the game crashes.

Any ideas?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Okay, I've tried it, and... unfortunately the first attempt failed.

I just wanted to try having the new Pokemon, so I made a person from Pallet Town giving me one of them. But when I try to look at it in the Pokemon menu, the game crashes.

Any ideas?

Can you be more specific than that? I can only test it if you tell me exactly what Pokémon you were trying to give yourself. It may simply come down to the fact that you gave a Pokémon which doesn't have any sprites (there are quite a few in that category).

Basically, any Pokémon after Liepard isn't safe to use because they have no sprites. Anything before that could be a bug.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
But I thought you included Chaos Rush sprites? It was one of the Unova Pokemon, didn't remember who (I didn't play 5th gen), but it is the hex 27F.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
But I thought you included Chaos Rush sprites? It was one of the Unova Pokemon, didn't remember who (I didn't play 5th gen), but it is the hex 27F.

I HAVE included Chaos Rush's sprites, but he's only done up to Liepard, which is much earlier in the dex. That's all the bug is. While he's working on the sprites, I'm battering away at the moves and such for the time being.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Something to clarify before going out on a hack: do you give me permission to use it for a Ron hack project? I'm not sure whether I will be able to release it, but it's better to clarify things when I'm at it.

Also, are the pokemon you included in a continuous part of the rom? I want to insert them in my hack but manually with an hex editor, since I don't want to mess up my stuff, so I thought maybe I can copy paste the data into a free part of my rom and repoint it manually. Is it hard to do?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Something to clarify before going out on a hack: do you give me permission to use it for a Ron hack project? I'm not sure whether I will be able to release it, but it's better to clarify things when I'm at it.

At this stage, no. I've made it perfectly clear that I don't want it used to base ROM hacks on. I will tell all you guys when I feel it is ready, but at this stage, it's just not finished enough.

Also, are the pokemon you included in a continuous part of the rom? I want to insert them in my hack but manually with an hex editor, since I don't want to mess up my stuff, so I thought maybe I can copy paste the data into a free part of my rom and repoint it manually. Is it hard to do?

No, they are not. I've kept as much of the data (and routines) together as possible, but that's not the major issue. Simply put, no. You can't copy and paste the data and have it work. There are a lot of changes to the game's routines needed to make this stuff work.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I made some battle animations you might like (see attachment). In it are two .bin files. Simply copy the data of one of the files into free space, and have one of your attacks point to that animation in the animation table.

The idea for Roost simply has the Featherdance animation, but I spliced in the second part of the Recover animation at the end of it. This eliminates the need of creating a new entry in the effect table (since there's a battle script command to call the healing animation, but this is unnecessary if you've already included the healing animation as part of the attack animation - which I've done)

The idea for Gravity is that the Pokemon "charges up" like how it kinda does in the DS games when using Gravity, and to stimulate the "squishing", it does something similar to the Splash animation right afterwords, but it does it to both Pokemon (one after another).

Here's what Gravity looks like in Gen IV:
Gravity_IV.png

To replicate that as best as I could in FireRed, I had the Pokemon "charge up" with the Sky Attack charge up animation, then I apply the splash animation to both Pokemon. It's not perfect but its the best I could do.

I made these battle animations with a FireRed ROM, so they'll work just fine on your ROM. Hope you find these useful, I'll post more when I make more animations. (and no, I did NOT take these from Pokemon Vega; Vega doesn't even have Gravity. Both of these animations were made by me)

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
The Roost animation works absolutely perfectly.
With the gravity animation, would it be possible to make all the Pokémon do the splash animation simultaneously? I think that would look better, IMO. Plus, it takes a long time for all 4 to play if you're in a double battle.

Otherwise, I appreciate the effort, man! Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
The Roost animation works absolutely perfectly.
With the gravity animation, would it be possible to make all the Pokémon do the splash animation simultaneously? I think that would look better, IMO. Plus, it takes a long time for all 4 to play if you're in a double battle.

Otherwise, I appreciate the effort, man! Thanks!
Possibly, I just didn't have the time to figure that out yet. But I will as soon as I can.

For your info, the byte 05 means it will wait until the current action is finished until it performs the next one, so theoretically if you change this part:
Code:
26 03 [B]05[/B] 03 39 83
remove the 05 byte:
Code:
26 03 03 39 83
it should play at the same time, but I'm not entirely sure. Might require some messing around, but I'll work on it as soon as possible. (along with more animations, of course)

EDIT: I just tested it with VBA's Memory Viewer, and I can confirm that removing the 05 byte and shifting the rest of the bytes over will make both Pokemon use the splash animation at the same time:
1-4.png
2-4.png
3-3.png

Although they're not perfectly in-sync, one starts splashing a split second after the other. I don't know how to fix this yet.

EDIT: Also if you have any ideas for choosing a better "charge-up" animation, feel free to ask and I'll try to work it in. Perhaps it would look better if I use the Calm Mind animation, or the Charge animation, or part of the Confusion/Psychic animation.

EDIT: I've begun working on the Miracle Eye animation:
1.png
2.png
3.png

Currently fine-tuning it.

I'll post more .bin files once I complete a few more animations.

Last edited:

Southueki

Writer
Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2014
Nice work guys! I seriously can't wait till this patch is up for hacks, I look forward playing a hack with all of these changes :)

Keep it up, you're crossing the old limits of rom hacking!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Got some more animations for ya (see bottom of post):

Gravity: you already have it (except this download contains the minor revision of the 05 byte removal I mentioned earlier)

Gyro Ball: Weather Ball animation, except I removed the flash, and the Pokemon "backs up" a bit, since its attack description on the official games implies the Pokemon curls up into a ball

Hammer Arm: Karate Chop, then Earthquake

Healing Wish: First part of Wish animation, but with Cosmic background

Miracle Eye: Leer, but with Dark background. I tried using the Mind Reader animation but that resulted in some glitches, maybe Foresight would work though...

Night Slash: Slash, but with Dark background

Roost: you already have it

Wake-Up Slap: Karate Chop 3 times really fast

X-Scissor: First it displays the Bug-background (AKA Silver Wind), then does the second part of the Cross Chop animation. You never see the actual hand-parts of Cross Chop, you only see the screen flash and the "X" mark, so there are no on-screen references to the Fighting type, so it looks pretty authentic. I'm actually rather proud of how I achieved this :3

Also this is unrelated to the animations, but earlier you said that you didn't want to use JPAN's Hacked Engine without his permission, but I'm just stating my opinion that JPAN wants other people to use his thing, so I don't see why you would need his permission, when JPAN intended it for other people to use on their hack projects. Otherwise, he never would have released it to the public in the first place.

Anyhow, here are the .bin files of the battle animations: (if you have any specific requests, just ask and I'll get to work on it :) )

EDIT: I'd also like to let you know that now your game does save on hardware. I'm assuming this is because you implemented JPAN's newer save block revision.

Last edited:

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
This is coming along nicely, also I don't think you quite got what I was trying to say.
In my version of Fire Red I can save, but because of something that's wrong with the rom itself I can't get back to Pallet after I beat gary. Leaf Green doesn't have this problem however.
It's along the lines of the Pokemon Emerald "The Internal Battery has Run Dry" box that comes up at the 'Continue, New Game, Etc" screen.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Got some more animations for ya (see bottom of post)

Appreciated, once again!

Also this is unrelated to the animations, but earlier you said that you didn't want to use JPAN's Hacked Engine without his permission, but I'm just stating my opinion that JPAN wants other people to use his thing, so I don't see why you would need his permission, when JPAN intended it for other people to use on their hack projects. Otherwise, he never would have released it to the public in the first place.

It's not just that. It's entirely possible that the specials he made might be completely incompatible with my code. I haven't tested it.

EDIT: I'd also like to let you know that now your game does save on hardware. I'm assuming this is because you implemented JPAN's newer save block revision.

Yeah, I updated to the new one some time ago. Now, I run everything on an emulator which uses a real BIOS. I'm hoping that doing so will ensure everything I add runs on the real hardware. It's the best I can do since flashcarts are completely illegal where I live. :(

Years
  • Seen Aug 2, 2023
Miracle Eye: Leer, but with Dark background. I tried using the Mind Reader animation but that resulted in some glitches, maybe Foresight would work though...

What kind of glitches? It'd be a shame to not use Mind Reader since it looks like such a perfect animation for this.

Also, will you make some videos of these? It would be nice to see them actually in-game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back