• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The American Politics Discussion Thread

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
For me rape is not a political issue. Rape is a crime plain and simple, a violation against another person's rights. I really think they shouldnt be trying to make it into anything else or trying to redefine it or anything else like that.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Why do we even let people use faith as a reason behind a stance about something like abortion anyway? Aren't we supposed to be keeping religion out of government? I'm sure if only women could be robbed/mugged/murdered, most Republicans would think all of that happens for a reason? "Oh I'm sorry, the insurance won't cover the funeral. She was murdered, which is a pre-existing condition since God intended for it to happen since he created the world."

I commend Representative Akin for his principled defense of human life, and I commend Representative Broun for dismissing the evolution myth, and affirming his faith in Christ Our Lord.

Evolution myth.
qW9bi.jpg

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
For me rape is not a political issue. Rape is a crime plain and simple, a violation against another person's rights. I really think they shouldnt be trying to make it into anything else or trying to redefine it or anything else like that.

Politicians are the ones who define rape in the first place, since rape laws are written by politicians. The currently accepted definition of rape is actually rather new. Rep. Akin could consider "legitimate rape" as a the common law defintion. That was: Any forceful sexual penetration of a woman by a man, not her husband, without her consent.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Politicians are the ones who define rape in the first place, since rape laws are written by politicians. The currently accepted definition of rape is actually rather new. Rep. Akin could consider "legitimate rape" as a the common law defintion. That was: Any forceful sexual penetration of a woman by a man, not her husband, without her consent.

Ok so let me see if I get this. Basically what that means is only forcible sexual penetration would be considered rape, not any other sexual act forced on a person? Penetration is not the only thing that can be forced on people sexually. That seems like a very restrictive definition. That makes me rather uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Juicy

Bone to be wild!
Years
Ok so let me see if I get this. Basically what that means is only forcible sexual penetration would be considered rape, not any other sexual act forced on a woman? Penetration is not the only thing that can be forced on women. That seems like a very restrictive definition. That makes me rather uncomfortable.

All this talk about rape being something only women can be victims of is making me uncimfortable. And, if I'm correct the definition RECENTLY changed in America to include men as potential victims.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years

A husband can't rape their wife? Does "no" mean nothing if she's his legal property?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

Talk about idiocy.

It's rare, compared to women, but men can be raped as well.

Edit - @Keiran.

The bible treats women like properly. I think we, Freaky included, can be thankful that this particular biblical value isn't followed.

Anyway, wrote this out earlier but it didn't send. :/

I find it strange that religious people believe in abstinence, and say that it is the only 100% effective form of birth control. The fact that modern Christianity exists proves that abstinence isn't effective. Remember the virgin Mary? Was still a virgin, yet she somehow got pregnant? Yeah. Act of God? Perhaps, but it shows that abstinence isn't 100% effective.

The fact that this happens makes it even stranger that religious people are against contraceptives. We've already shown that abstinence isn't effective, and assuming that it is and this pregnancy was a act of God, then doesn't that mean that if a women is meant to have a child, she will have one no matter what she does or doesn't do?

Christians shouldn't spend their time hating on contraceptives, because if their God is really as powerful as they like to believe then I really, REALLY, doubt that some plastic or a pill would be able to stop a pregenancy, what they consider a "Act of God".

... Or, God could have... You know... decided to use Legitimate Rape to knock up Mary with Jesus.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Spoiler:

Yeah, I think we need to get back to politics.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
A husband can't rape their wife? Does "no" mean nothing if she's his legal property?

Until recently, sex was considered to be an implied term of the marriage contract, meaning that a woman was contractually obligated to have sex with her husband. Also, until recently, rape had to have a female victim, and a male perpetrator. It also had to be both forceful and non-consensual.

P.S.
Christians don't hate on contraceptives.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
^ been reading alot of comments
1) almost all catholic Orthodox and some protestants belive in evolution so more than 80% of christainty believes evolution
2)we kinda do hat on contraceptive IDK why
3)rape has been a round since pre-Greek times so politicans don't define rape

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
1) almost all catholic Orthodox and some protestants belive in evolution so more than 80% of christainty believes evolution
Yup. Catholic Church is a-ok with evolution.

I think officially, Catholics aren't big on contraception. But... in practice? Uhh... no. They use it. Overwhelmingly so. Kinda like "I'm Catholic, but you know not Catholic" XD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

1) Consensus doesn't make something true.
2) Christians don't hate on contraceptives. We just don't believe that we should be forced to provide them.
3) That depends on if you're talking about what is commonly accepted to be rape by custom, or the legal definition of rape. If you were to be arrested and charged with rape, the definition that politicians in your jurisdiction came up with would be the standard.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
So... Does this mean that God doesn't exist? Religion is, basically, a consensus of people that beleive God exists so...

Some do, some don't. It varies state by state and denomination by denomination.

Rape is Rape. I don't see why people try to make it seem less of a crime by saying 'Its a custom.' If anything, rape being apart of your customs mean you have some pretty ****** customs, and you need to change them.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
I agree if we go with catholic beliefs cuz i an rape is a forced act involving gentiles its been a law in most societies since 300 bc
Contraceptives is a no no
Being gay is not a sin (not relevant like bring that up cuz people say we are homophobic bigots)
And catholic and orthodoxy is the oldest if Christianity and out of the 2 billion Christians 1.1 or 1.2 are catholic

Last edited:

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
Before I get into quotes and replies, I think it'd be nice for everyone to know that Obama has spoken out in favor of marriage equality, which only makes me lean all that further away from Romney.

So... Does this mean that God doesn't exist? Religion is, basically, a consensus of people that beleive God exists so...

Some do, some don't. It varies state by state and denomination by denomination.

Rape is Rape. I don't see why people try to make it seem less of a crime by saying 'Its a custom.' If anything, rape being apart of your customs mean you have some pretty ****** customs, and you need to change them.

I think this comic by xkcd covers the concerns of religion + numbers. If nothing else, it's a good laugh.

As for rape, the World English Dictionary defines it as so: "the offense of forcing a person, especially a woman, to submit to sexual intercourse against that person's will". This definition does not excuse marital status; and frankly, I believe any culture that does is too old-fashioned for the modern world by treating women as property.

If this is about customs, it should probably be noted that the Bible (specifically Deuteronomy) decreed a man need only pay fifty pieces of silver to the father of his victim, and they were married. If the rape victim was already married or engaged, they [both rapist and victim] would get stoned to death.

I agree if we go with catholic beliefs cuz i an rape is a forced act involving gentiles its been a law in most societies since 300 bc
Contraceptives is a no no
Being gay is not a sin (not relevant like bring that up cuz people say we are homophobic bigots)
And catholic and orthodoxy is the oldest if Christianity and out of the 2 billion Christians 1.1 or 1.2 are catholic

Um... What?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Before I get into quotes and replies, I think it'd be nice for everyone to know that Obama has spoken out in favor of marriage equality, which only makes me lean all that further away from Romney.
I don't see that as a particularly great reason. It isn't something neither of them would be able to change. Out of their control. Not their jurisdiction. It is a state thing.

Years
I don't see that as a particularly great reason. It isn't something neither of them would be able to change. Out of their control. Not their jurisdiction. It is a state thing.

It would actually be very easy to change, via an Executive Order. Which only Presidents have the authority to issue.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
It would actually be very easy to change, via an Executive Order. Which only Presidents have the authority to issue.

Changing the definition of marriage would require a constitutional amendment. If all it takes is an Executive Order, then why hasn't Obama issued one? We all know that he's a two-faced hypocrite, but come on!

Years
Changing the definition of marriage would require a constitutional amendment. If all it takes is an Executive Order, then why hasn't Obama issued one? We all know that he's a two-faced hypocrite, but come on!
You're saying DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) didn't try to change the definition of marriage? 'Cuz if you're arguing that "man + woman = marriage, but man + man =/= marriage" I disagree with your prescriptivist notion of marriage.

At the federal level Obama has already told his people not to defend DOMA which does have an impact on, for instance, married same-sex couples where one is a citizen of the US and one is not. And he's weighed in on the measures (or whatever they're called) in Washington and Maine.

Granted, he could be doing a lot more, but at least he's pushing in the right direction, which his political opponents are not doing.

Back