• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Loser of Unova.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I think Emboar's design is awesome! And he's pretty good at battling too.

But almost every Pokémon's designs in these games are unimpressive.

For example....

Pidove. It's a grey bird. Okay... no colors? Pidove and Starly have varying colors, but not you I guess.

Lillipup. Brown Yorkie puppy. No interesting colors.

Sandile. Crocodile. Brown and black. Moving on.

Klink. Two gears. Wow impressive.

Vannilite. I love you, but you are ice cream and I cannot deny that that was a horrid idea to make a Pokémon out of. Vanniluxe looks fine, but ice cream.

Trubbish. Garbordor is colorful and unique. Trubbish? Garbage bag with hands.

Swanna. A white swam with swan-like features and swan feet. Not a blue duck. What happened?

etc. etc. A lot of the Pokémon are bland with black, brown, grey and pale pink color schemes that scream boring at full volume. The cool-looking ones are either inanimate objects or animals.

What happened to the original designers? To the Pokémon that were based off an animal and didn't really look like it (Kangaskhan, Sandslash, etc.)? The cool colors? The exaggeration of real animals today?

I DON'T SEE IT!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Vanillite line
Trubbish line
Klink line
Tepig line
Oshawott line
Snivy line
Patrat line
The Elemental Monkeys
Pidove line
Audino
Cottonee line
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Gothita line
Alomomola
Haxorus (Axew and Fraxure don't really bother me)
Vullaby line
Mega Ultra Ice Turkey (AKA Kyurem)
Mutant Cyborg Mega Ultra Ice Turkeys (Kyurem White and Kyurem Black)
My Little Keldeo
Super Ultimate Mecha Laser Cannon Bug (Genesect)

Seriously. Worst generation ever, Pokemon-wise.

Nakala Pri

Thanks for all the feed-back guys, very appreciated! :D I hope this thread reaches over a hundred posts. xD

Years
It's not a fault of Unova alone to produce useless pokes. Every Region has some low rated Pokemons. Mine from Unova are :
Klink family, Ferroseed family, Escavalier, Yamask , Vanillux, Cryogonal, Garbodor family etc

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Most of the Pokémon from gen 5 are real losers for me.

Pretty much all the legendaries apart from Reshiram and Zekrom I dislike due to most of them being largely unnecessary. (Was Keledo really that important?)

Kuyrem was the worst. It looked like a turkey which had horrible freeze burn. The fusions were a joke too, just a pile of random spikes and some stupid looking wires that make it look like something you want to put out of it's misery.

The starters were also really bad. There final evolutions looked bad and they were poor in battle.

The psuedo-starters was irredeemable. They look like awful Nick Jr mascots, are horrible in battle and we already have a fire-type monkey pokémon, which in turn ripped off another pokémon's typing.

Then there were the poorly though out ones. Stuff like Cryogonal (A oversized snowflake), Klink (Two gears :O) and Druddigon (Useless and hideous).

At least there was a couple good ones like Volcarona and the Braviary for me to enjoy using at the very least, but for me, this generation was a lot more misses than hits in the new pokémon department.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Like most people, I didn't like Garbodor at all. It was a huge pile of garbage, literally. Due to the same reason, I also didn't like Trubbish. The Pokémon that I did like are Scrafty, Musharna, Victini, Serperior, Zoroark, Petilil, and Minccino. Some of them are cute, and the others are useful in battle.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
I hope this counts as an option, but to me I really don't think any of the pokemon have a purely 'terrible' design. A lot of the pokemon are also based on the regional structure. Unova was heavily based around the New York area ( ie America ). For example, does America really have dragon folklore to base any of the dragon pokemon off of? Not really? So obviously Druddigon was actually not a bad design considering that there wasn't anything to base it around beside a link to how European dragons might've looked like. Vanillite, ok has anyone ever seen it without the snow on top? It's actually a pure ice pokemon with snow around it's face. That's the same with it's evolutions as well:

Snowless_Vanillite.png

Snowless_Vanillish.png

Waffle cone ice cream is popular in america, so why not design a pokemon around the shape and structure? It makes sense. People who are saying Lillipup, seriously, it's a dog... we don't have a dog pokemon yet that is actually based on a 'real' dog. Arcanine and Growlithe don't really count, because they are based around chinese folklore. It kind of makes sense to bring a dog based pokemon into the series finally. Garbador, please... it kind of makes sense to have a garbage pokemon if we have a pokemon based off of pure waste already. Plus, since Unova has many big cities, ( Castelia, Nimbasa, Driftveil, etc ). New York = Lots of trashcans. There are many many more examples of this to be honest... so why not just catch the pokemon you feel comfortable with and move on!

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Every single generation they have a Pikachu rehash. They always never evolve, and are usually worse than Pikachu. This time the made Emolga. I liked the others but Emolga is really stupid. They should stop ripping off Pikachu with these terrible ideas. Emolga you went to far. Besides Emolga I guess Gothitelle and Alamomala (however you spell it) are pretty bad. Garbodor is iffy as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Cryogonal is probably my least favorite out of Unova's Pokemon followed by Druddigon. There are others that I'm not too fond of like Alomomola (seriously think this should have been a Luvdisc evolution still) but a few that have been listed here I do like so haha. To each their own!

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
deponitox . it is called UNRATUTOX in German try saying that it is way too long and it is a frigging tonguebreaker. (refusbatox)

Nakala Pri

Thank you all for posting! It has been enchanting hearing your opinions, truly. c:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Vanillite line
Trubbish line
Klink line
Tepig line
Oshawott line
Snivy line
Patrat line
The Elemental Monkeys
Pidove line
Audino
Cottonee line
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Gothita line
Alomomola
Haxorus (Axew and Fraxure don't really bother me)
Vullaby line
Mega Ultra Ice Turkey (AKA Kyurem)
Mutant Cyborg Mega Ultra Ice Turkeys (Kyurem White and Kyurem Black)
My Little Keldeo
Super Ultimate Mecha Laser Cannon Bug (Genesect)
You forgot Annoying Stupid Flying Squirrel (Emolga).

Nakala Pri

Hey! Why is everyone dissing the squirrel? >:c Emolga happens to be adorable, speedy, quite powerful in Elesa's hands and is an absolute charm for the contests. :P

Sonatron

Face of Rubber
Years

y-you didn't like Shelmet? Escavalier and Shelmet became part of my favourite Pokémon list XD

Anyway, yeah Klink and Klang were sort of appalling, Klinklang wasn't too bad though. Trubbish and Garbodor were awful, I mean, rubbish bags? Honestly? Not a big fan of Munna either, even though that one's mostly a throw back to other generations. Oshawott and Samurott make my brain explode. Oshawott because it just looks ugly, and Samurott because I don't think it looks anything like the rest of its evolution set. Dewott's alright though, well, not an eyesore anyway. Cryogonal... just, what? A big snowflake? Okay, whatever.

Most of the other Gen V Pokémon are just sort of meh. There are some nice ones though.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Let me break out the list of all Unova pokemon...

Emboar - The only thing piglike about this thing is its nose.
Samurott - I like this dude, but it was too drastic from Oshawott/Dewott.
Patrat/Watchog - It offered nothing new to the starter rodents (compared to Bibarel having a unique typing, Linoone having Extremespeed, Furret offering cuteness, yet Raticate was already vicious and Sentret was already a scout pokemon.) Also, the yellow jacket looked tacky.
Stoutland - the fur colors are unnecessary
Too Many Primates- Gen IV introduced 4 primates, and this generation introduced 8...
Unfezant - Male's too flamboyant, female's too dull.
Seismitoad - A water/ground blue frog introduces nothing new compared to all the other amphibians in the game
Gothitelle - Why not 100% female? How is this not Psychic/Dark? (inb4 next gallade)
Ferrothorn - Hideous. Btw is anyone even reading this?
Klinklang - Gears are a cool idea, but this looks too objectlike
Beeheeyem - Elgyem was cool, but becoming brown made it seem less high-tech
Accelgor - Should have had a dual-type like Escavalier
Kamis - aka palette swaps

I liked the story, geography, and gameplay of Black/White, but it has a fair share of pokemon which I dislike.

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2013
the starters were just unimpressive in general and i didnt like the klingklang family. dunno what they were thinking of when they made that lol.

Nakala Pri

The starters were fantastic, if anything! Tepig is fantastic, Oshawott is also fantastic, Snivy is... cool? I dunno, but all I do know, is I want HAM! :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
The starters were meh. Not bad, kinda like Oshawott and family, and as usual all 3 first stages (Oshawott, Tepig and Snivy) were great. But Fire/Fighting irritated me, even if a slow fire-type made a change.

Many pokémon I'm not a fan of...but to be fair, they did introduce a whole new set of 151. There's probably a similar number that I don't really like from Kanto too. Trubbish is one of them though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
How.....how could you have Cofagrigus on that list? Cofagrigus is easily the best 5th gen pokemon, It's a freaking Egyptian sarcophagus. Accelgor is great too.

The only 5th gen pokemon that kinda bothers me is Palpitoad, it looks so weird. I've learned to tolerate it though. I'm not that keen on the simis either. Every other 5th gen pokemon outside those four I can appreciate to varying degrees.

Overall I liked the 5th gen designs, second only to the 3rd gen pokemon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back